Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

550 first try and desperately need to raise verbal score!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

550 first try and desperately need to raise verbal score! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 09:52
I just took the GMAT for the first time on 8/25/07 and got a 550 - 40Q, 26V. I took a 7 week Princeton Review Course and my math and improved tremendously, but my verbal didn't improve at all. I'm trying to break a 600 and I'm thinking about taking the GMAT again at the beginning of October. 2 questions:

1. Any recommendations for books/strategies to raise my verbal score? (Besides PR books and manuals) I'm not particulary strong/weak at any of the 3 verbal categories although if I had to name my strongest, it would be SC...but I have major pacing issues. And yes, English is my first language.

2. Is a little over a month enough time to improve my score at least 50 points? I study about 15 hours a week now and I work full-time.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2007, 10:01
in my opinion, i have found it difficult to tremendously improve my CR/RC scores. most people agree that of all the verbal sections, SC can be improved the most in the least amount of time (primarily through practice, and use of MGMAT SC book).

if you are struggling with CR and require a book that presents strategies on how to attach the different types of CR questions, i would recommend the LSAT Logical Reasoning Bible. It's a thick book, but is worth trying out if your CR is weak.
  [#permalink] 28 Aug 2007, 10:01