Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:58 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Eternal Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Eternal Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [0]
Send PM
How many difficult ones? [#permalink]
Hey in PS, how many would you say numerically, what else did you use to prepare for PS?

Victor
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 550 (Q 42, V 24) 660 (Q 47, V 34) Important Question For [#permalink]
Expert Reply
cridip wrote:
I took the test twice, the first time on May 29, 2003 and I got 550 (Q 42, V 24) and the second time on July 3, 2003 and I got 660 (Q 47, V 34).

QUESTION
I have question about the test management. From the other posts I understand that last spring the Test has been made more difficult than the past. I can guess that this тАЬupgradeтАЭ was due to the fact that the candidates were becoming more prepared. As a result the normal distribution of scores (the тАЬcurveтАЭ) moved too much towards the right. Students were all making good performance very similar to each other therefore was more difficult to score them on a distribution. Making the test more difficult the ETS has been able to move the curve back.
Now the problem is: if the percentile linked to each individual score is based on results made when the test was easier, current score are not comparable to the ones of two years ago. For example: a 660 today that says 87% score below is based on past results of past results. A 660 made just before the upgrade of test said equally 87% but the test was easier and thus the test takers less skilled. The situation will normalize when the scores will be based on past scores but on the more difficult kind of test.
As a consequence I would expect that in the future GMAT score levels of business school will decrease. Tell me what you think. Thank you.

MY EXPERIENCE
The first time I did not prepare at all on the OG and I used Kaplan and Arco (Cambridge). Kaplan is a good book for math, but it not comparable to the real GMAT test on verbal. Arco Cambridge is USELESS for both.
The verbal section is extremely hard. Some of the questions in the RCs are incredibly confusing and to some degree inappropriate. Anyway, not comparable to the ones contained in the OG. The SCs and CRs are tougher than the OG.
The math section is more or less on line with the OG, with more prob questions and some statistics. Some of the questions are really difficult and the risk is to spent too much time on the difficult questions.
I have no idea of how to improve my verbal skills. I think I can do a little bit better on the math because I had to guess completely the last two questions, but for the verbal I put my maximum effort on it but 34 is still low.

Where did you get the idea that the test became harder last spring?

Does GMAC confirm it? I have connections and can find out; just wanted to know where you get your information...

-=-
GMAT Club Bot
Re: 550 (Q 42, V 24) 660 (Q 47, V 34) Important Question For [#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts