Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q26 V36
GPA: 2.89
WE:Real Estate (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: 550 w/ AWA 6.0 1st GMAT score -- should I retake? [#permalink]
Thank you guys!

I am admitted to Northeastern (conditional acceptance -- better than nothing!). The acceptance is good for 1 full year. Right now they put me down for the July program start date, but I can switch that to a later time.

I mean ... FT/PT, yes, NU is a very good program. Can it complete with Wharton, Booth, or Kenan-Flager? No, but it is still a very good and a very reputable school IMO. However, that's the on campus program.

The online program has so much debate these days - I won't get into that. But within the online program themselves, is NU a good enough school? I look at it with ... my GPA sucks, my undergrad school isn't amazing, and yeah .. sure, I have excellence work experience esp at my age, but so what? If they admitted me with my low GPA --- how good of a school can their online program be??? Do they just want my $$ ??

Since I'm already accepted, should I just not worry about GMAT and go to Northeastern? Or just push it out a bit more, take GMAT again, and hope to get a better score to apply toward ASU, IU, or UNC?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AlyxisPaige wrote:
Thank you guys!

I am admitted to Northeastern (conditional acceptance -- better than nothing!). The acceptance is good for 1 full year. Right now they put me down for the July program start date, but I can switch that to a later time.

I mean ... FT/PT, yes, NU is a very good program. Can it complete with Wharton, Booth, or Kenan-Flager? No, but it is still a very good and a very reputable school IMO. However, that's the on campus program.

The online program has so much debate these days - I won't get into that. But within the online program themselves, is NU a good enough school? I look at it with ... my GPA sucks, my undergrad school isn't amazing, and yeah .. sure, I have excellence work experience esp at my age, but so what? If they admitted me with my low GPA --- how good of a school can their online program be??? Do they just want my $$ ??

Since I'm already accepted, should I just not worry about GMAT and go to Northeastern? Or just push it out a bit more, take GMAT again, and hope to get a better score to apply toward ASU, IU, or UNC?

If your acceptance is good for a year, I'd defer for a little bit and try to raise the GMAT for one of the other three schools. You should take it twice, maybe three times, but no more than that if you can.

Also, do you live near Boston? Northeastern's reach has to be at its best in the Boston/New England area, especially, considering that you are doing an online program. That way you can take part in some networking and campus interviews. Assuming you want to increase your networking prospects, it is a plus if the school is relatively close to your town.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
novanative wrote:
AlyxisPaige wrote:
Thank you guys!

If your acceptance is good for a year, I'd defer for a little bit and try to raise the GMAT for one of the other three schools. You should take it twice, maybe three times, but no more than that if you can.

Also, do you live near Boston? Northeastern's reach has to be at its best in the Boston/New England area, especially, considering that you are doing an online program. That way you can take part in some networking and campus interviews. Assuming you want to increase your networking prospects, it is a plus if the school is relatively close to your town.

No, I'm all the way to the other end of the country in Seattle "-_-

Once I am through with my Master, I'm thinking Colorado, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin,...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
AlyxisPaige wrote:
No, I'm all the way to the other end of the country in Seattle "-_-

Once I am through with my Master, I'm thinking Colorado, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin,...

Ok. The good part about an online MBA is that you will get to meet guys presumably from all over the world. So, while on campus networking is limited, at the same time, you will have a lot of potential opportunities too.

If you ultimately choose Northeastern, the issue is what kind of a brand does it have both in Washington State (where I assume University of Washington/Wash State/Gonzaga have a bigger reach and perhaps a lot of other western schools even in Cali due to the tech market that's in Seattle). However, if you also went to one of these schools for college, that could mitigate a "lack of brand name" with your MBA.

Lastly, they need to bring back the SuperSonics. The only bad thing is that the city has to rob another team to get them back, and it looks like the Kings may just be that team. Just imagine if the Oklahoma City Thunder was really in emerald green and rocking Key Arena right now with its current roster. Sure, the Storm is nice to have, and the Sounders are doing really well, but as a DC native where the Washington Wizards' history is deeply tied with the Sonics given the championships the teams have, it's like our history doesn't exist either. Sorry for the off topic rant on the NBA, but yeah, I like Seattle as a city.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts