Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

560...It's about time to quit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 13:37
kryzak wrote:
Oh man, now this thread has gotten me worried about scoring much lower than on practice tests. If it weren't nerves, I'm not sure how everyone is getting much lower real test scores than the averages of all the prep tests. From what I heard, the Manhattan GMAT and GMATPrep scores were all very close predictors, unless you freeze up on test day or aren't a good test taker in stressful situations?

Don't let this thread freak you out, typically the GMATPrep scores are very accurate. I just think I took them too many times and by getting some repeat questions, I was under the false impression that my score really was a 690. Getting 4 or 5 repeat questions makes a huge difference if you can remember the answer and solve them in 10 seconds.

I also think I got a bit unlucky (but that's not a good excuse) by getting alot of questions in my quant that were my weak spots. What you should take away from the thread is that you CAN'T be weak in any part of the quant or verbal. Understand all concepts, don't rely on luck because you can see what happens.

As long as you are practicing your timing and fix all your weaknesses, you will be fine.

I don't really get nervous during these exams, you can only do your best and you really don't have time to get nervous. Before you know it, the exam is over.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 16:10
Thanks for helping! I'm definitely less nervous now.

I did notice that every time I take it, the time goes by SO fast and you never really feel that a few hours have gone by, other than your brain being tired. Now I just need to work in my AWA into my practices.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2007, 23:59
Time is an important factor to get a good GMAT score.
Try it next time when you can put in more time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2007, 00:10
I wish GMATPrep at least included the computer grading software that does the AWA grading. This can give people an idea of how well they can write.

Of course, some hacker will probably crack the code and then everyone will know how GMAC grades AWAs. Bummers.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 09:38
Hey bud,

I've been a long time lurker here, and I wanted to reply to your story. No matter what, NEVER GIVE UP... I've been studying on and off for almost a year and still can't seem to break the 650 barrier. However, I KNOW for a fact that if all these other fine ladies and gents can do it, so can I... I can completely understand your disappointment and resignation to the whole darn thing.. But trust me... YOU are in control.. NOT the test... My attitude in life has always been that there are other people accomplishing the things that I want to accomplish.. so if they can do it, why can't I?? Take a couple of weeks off, enjoy Vegas, then plan, prepare, and execute... Also, think about changing some of your lifestyle habits.. ie- working out regularly, eating healthier, and keeping positive people around you.. Trust me, this overall lifestyle approach DOES help..

Best of luck, I look forward to seeing a post entitled : "560 to 7xx+, My story and How I did it" in the near future... :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 10:26
salr15 wrote:

I did get a bit unlucky on the Quant section, I would say about 10 of my first 15 questions were Data Sufficiency and about 60% of those were tough number properties.

I plan on going in fully confident with ALL areas of Quant and I can definitely improve my V score, just didn't practice at all.

It sounds like you have identified weak areas, not just addressing them while keeping your other knowledge intact.

It is much like bike racing. You need to lay a very solid base of long hours in the winter to be able do your speed work in the spring to win in the summer.

It just too bad blood doping doesn't help us :shock: :-D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 05:49
Quote:
Oh man, now this thread has gotten me worried about scoring much lower than on practice tests. If it weren't nerves, I'm not sure how everyone is getting much lower real test scores than the averages of all the prep tests. From what I heard, the Manhattan GMAT and GMATPrep scores were all very close predictors, unless you freeze up on test day or aren't a good test taker in stressful situations?

I wouldn't worry too much, the GMATPrep was a pretty good indicator of what I scored on the GMAT. I did the GMATPrep 4 times (over a 6 month period, so I didn't really remember the questions) and scored a 590, 600, 600 and finally a 640 on the one I took the day before the real thing. I scored a 620 on test day, which is pretty close to what I was scoring on the practice tests.
  [#permalink] 30 Jul 2007, 05:49