Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570 (36Q/32V), Advice needed!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

570 (36Q/32V), Advice needed! [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2008, 18:25
Hello, so today was my first attempt at the GMAT and got a 570 (36Q/32V), I am incredibly upset with myself and my score, but I should have expected it. Here are my practice scores:

Kaplan: 550 (28Q/38V)
GMATPrep1: 580
GMATPrep2:550 (29Q/37V)
Manhattan GMAT (free one): 680 (44Q/38V)---I seriously question the accuracy of this...

As you can see, the GMATPrep tests were highly accurate to the real thing, and I don't know what happened with the Manhattan practice one... Has anyone else experienced a glitch in the system or something? That high score really got me excited and gave me false hope.

I was mostly upset with my verbal score on the exam today, since I was confident when going through the questions and I usually score a 38 on the verbal. I was actually happy with the Quant. score, since I never do well on that.

I plan on retaking the exam in mid August and my goal score would be a 660... Do you think this is a reasonable goal? Also, what should I do to improve my score?

I currently have the Official Guide (orange one), the Quant Official Guide, and the Princeton Review book. I went through all the math questions in the OG and all the SC questions. I skimmed the other verbal parts. What guides do you think will help me improve my score? Are the Manhattan guides or the EZ Solutions books the best? Do I need all of them?

Also, are there any other CATs out there that closely resemble the real thing? I have my doubts about the Manhattan ones. Do you get access to two more GMATPrep ones once you register for the new exam date?

Just some background on me so you can help with my situation. I am 21 years old, will be a senior at SUNY Geneseo in the fall and plan on entering a Master's program in the Fall of '10 for Accounting. My dream dream school right now is Wake Forest followed my Vanderbilt and possibly William & Mary. If anyone has some insight into these programs and the GMAT scores needed to be accepted, I would love to hear it:)

Thanks sooo much for the help, everyone is so smart here and my 570 looks so miserable compared to all the 700s, I really don't know how you guys do it.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: 570 (36Q/32V), Advice needed! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 13:02
melanie,

Analyzing your scores on various tests, you seem to have some problems in Quant. Do practice all topics in OG and follow Number Props & Word Translation guides of Manhattan. You can uninstall and download the GMAT prep. Next time you take the test, you will see a test with 95% new questions. Though you have these 5% repeats. So, you can practice as many times as possible.

Once you improve your Quant to around 45 and Verbal by about 10%, you should be able to get to desired score.

Hope this helps!
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: 570 (36Q/32V), Advice needed! [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2008, 13:13
At least triple the number of practice CATs that you do. Building the endurance is almost as important as learning the concepts!

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 570 (36Q/32V), Advice needed! [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 05:37
Thank you vishy007 for the advice, it is very much appreciated! In your opinion, are those 2 Manhattan review books the most helpful for improving a Quant score? There seems to be quite a few out there, but I only want to get the best ones. I'm also going to go through the official guides again and try to truly understand each question in there. Achieving a score of 44 would be so amazing!

Thanks for the tip about redownloading the GMAT Prep program for new tests, very helpful!

Raabenb, thanks for the feedback, I will def. do as many practice ones as I can before my next attempt.

This is probably a dumb question, but if I am happy with my AWA scores do I need to complete the two essays on my second GMAT attempt? Is there anyway to skip them and use the scores from my first test?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: 570 (36Q/32V), Advice needed! [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2008, 06:17
melanie2687 wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but if I am happy with my AWA scores do I need to complete the two essays on my second GMAT attempt? Is there anyway to skip them and use the scores from my first test?

You need to answer them 2nd time as well. Many people suggested against leaving those blank.
Re: 570 (36Q/32V), Advice needed!   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2008, 06:17