Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570, 550, 610 -- Advice to improve? (test in 28 days)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
570, 550, 610 -- Advice to improve? (test in 28 days) [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 05:14
Hi!

I was sheepish about making this post, but one of the moderators who has been offering me sensible advice all along, suggested I post this so I could get advice from all of you.

I'm scheduled to retake the test a 4th time, in 28 days, so I'd be grateful for constructive advice. I require a score above 700, preferably 750+. This isn't up for debate, that's why I signed up for the test again. I recognize its tough but this is why I'm writing, to get your best advice so I can join the 700 club.

Here's what I did:
1. Feb '06 - 570, AWA 5.5 -- No Prep. I wasn't aware schools know how many times you've taken it. High fever.

2. Dec '06 - 550, AWA 5 -- A month of Prep. OG - not thorough. Kaplan materials. No classes though. A week on caffeine before the test which I'm not accustomed to - made me really sick.

3. Feb '07 - 610. 1 week of OG and Quant review - gone through thoroughly this time. As well the SC. Not CR or RC though. Math 43 - 73% English 31 - 61%.

Zero sleep the night before. I was worried and annoyed - because these incidental factors certainly add up. By the time I did 15 questions in the verbal I was exhausted.

This was also a new test center, much much better than the other one. They even had noise canceling headphones. Its far - I waited 50 mins in
-15F after for the bus, but its where I'm retaking the test.

4 tries - not pretty, but, showing significant improvement will be well worth it.

English is my first language. I've written financial and other reports. I was baffled in the 2 CATs I took before the test to find I was getting 11 or so wrong in verbal and 7 of them were SC.

I intend to do the challenges this time. Review the OG and Quant. Review (green book, published by the OG guys) again.

What else should I be doing? What would you advice?

I know I can get this score. I'll be diligent.

All my thanks,
cheers,
Successstory.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 05:34
If you have problems in SC, definetely buy Manhattan SC book... It will cure most of your problems...
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 07:43
610 to a 700+ in 28 days is not likely. Considering 610 is a 60 point improvement from a recent test, 700+ is even more unlikely. Sorry.

I started out with a 640 on my first CAT with minimal prep. I busted my butt for nearly 2 months to get 700+

I suggest you take more time, prepare a more rigorous and detailed schedule and take it at a later date. You can ask anyone here, anyone who has scored 700+ worked very hard for it.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 07:57
I agree with Kidderek. Since you are taking GMAT the 4th time, you should not take any chances. Otherwise it will look very bad on your score report.

If you are planning to apply only for 2008, then you might as well take your time and take GMAT only when you feel confident enough.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 09:02
You should cancel the test you have scheduled, wait a year or two, then spend three months doing serious studying and take the test.

The year or two break will diminish the negative effect of having taken the test so many times already. Sounds like you have done very poor preparation for these tests in the past, in order to get a 700+ score you'll have to do serious studying, if you're not up for it save your money.

Also, I don't think all schools will see all test results up-front, somebody on this forum mentioned that some schools have you self-report and then after they have made a decision they verify with official results (at which time they would see all results).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 09:49
johnnyx9 wrote:
Also, I don't think all schools will see all test results up-front, somebody on this forum mentioned that some schools have you self-report and then after they have made a decision they verify with official results (at which time they would see all results).

I was filling the Insead form. And Insead asks you to report the scores for all the GMAT tests you have taken in the last 5 years. Though you submit your official score report after you are admitted.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 11:31
johnnyx9 wrote:
You should cancel the test you have scheduled, wait a year or two, then spend three months doing serious studying and take the test.

The year or two break will diminish the negative effect of having taken the test so many times already. Sounds like you have done very poor preparation for these tests in the past, in order to get a 700+ score you'll have to do serious studying, if you're not up for it save your money.

I agree.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 12:38
Thanks everyone for taking the time to write in and advice!
I'd appreciate any study tips.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 12:58
successstory wrote:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to write in and advice!
I'd appreciate any study tips.

Read all the stickys, then participate in the math and verbal forums.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2007, 13:05
Are you finishing the test in the alloted time?

If you want to see the 700+ score, I would start by trying to answer every question correct regardless of time.

then work on your timing.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 20:55
For SC I would recommend the Manhattan book and SC 1000.

I think the biggest thing for SC is finding out what the question is testing. I am 9/10 of the way through the SC 1000 doc and I really feel like I know what to look for.
  [#permalink] 08 Feb 2007, 20:55