Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570 (prep) to 690 (actual) in 6 weeks - I'll take it!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

570 (prep) to 690 (actual) in 6 weeks - I'll take it! [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 13:19
I just wanted to share my GMAT experience.

I started studying for the GMAT at the end of August. I didn't remember much math from college and wanted a refresher in the basics before test prep. I got a book on algebra (Practical Algebra) and a book on geometry from the library and started studying. I went through the two books pretty quickly and felt like I was ready for the prep course.

I chose Princeton Review because the price and schedule were right. It was a 4 week course meeting 2x/week for 3 hours at a time. The course was okay but if I had to do it again I'd spring for Manhattan. Still, I learned some pretty good techniques and I began to feel confident. I took PR, Kaplan, Manhattan and GMAC tests in addition to using the OG in conjunction with PR classes.

Here are my practice test scores:
9/11/2011 - 590 - Princeton
9/14/2011 - 680 - GMAC - My laptop died during this test and I had to take the second half of it the next day, so I considered this score a fluke since I was fresher for the verbal portion.
9/18/2011 - 610 - Princeton
9/24/2011 - 640 - Princeton
9/25/2011 - 650 - Manhattan
10/5/2011 - 570 - Princeton - This was tough to swallow, I took this practice at night after a 10 hour workday but it was still disheartening
10/08/2011 - 630 - Kaplan - Maybe it was being tired from a week of late night studying, but this one was HARD!
10/09/2011 - 640 - GMAC - I didn't think this was too bad for the 2nd of back-to-back tests

Work was getting busy and the late weeknight study sessions were getting less productive. I decided that I was going to 1) stop taking practice tests a week before the exam and 2) stop trying to build up my weaknesses and focus only on my strengths.

I took yesterday off work, got a massage and went for a walk to watch the changing foliage. I ate a meal at my favorite restaurant and relaxed all day. I woke up this morning feeling pretty good. I was expecting around 650 based on my practice test track record.

I know most people don't do better than their practice exams when test day rolls around, but I am one of the exceptions. I got a 690! Better than any of my practice exams! I would have liked to crack 700, but I'm still very happy with my score! I am pretty good under pressure and I think that really helped me focus. I didn't mind guessing as much on the practice tests, whereas today I was just so focused that I didn't need to guess very much. If a door closed on a quant problem, I did my best to figure out how to open a window to get to the right answer.

I'm in the Midwest and I am thinking about Booth, Kellogg, Fisher & Kelley among others. I know some of those schools will be tough with a 690, but I think I have a well-rounded app with some great work experience. I'm still trying to determine which school might be the right fit and now I have the time to figure that out.

In the past week I've been burnt-out, stressed-out and feeling like I would not do well on my tests. My prep was essentially 6 weeks and I raised my score by 100 points while working ~50 hrs/wk. I really think game day focus helped out a lot. I know a 100 point increase is not unusual when you're starting at 590, but I thought this would be a good story for anyone who is getting burnt-out from studying.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 9

Re: 570 (prep) to 690 (actual) in 6 weeks - I'll take it! [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 13:57
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations! Good luck on your apps!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: 570 (prep) to 690 (actual) in 6 weeks - I'll take it! [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 23:13
This post received
KUDOS
Gr8 Job!
Re: 570 (prep) to 690 (actual) in 6 weeks - I'll take it!   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2011, 23:13