Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570 - Q 48, V 20

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
570 - Q 48, V 20 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 07:52
Hi guys, I appear for gmat today at bombay - India, it is really devastating experience.
It started with AWA - Issues and Arguments, which were okay and Quant was just breeze for me. I completed my Quant section before 5 min. and after PS like i was damn sure to get through the xam with an exemplary score.

But verbal ruin my score like hell, I started with 2 scs which flumoxed me pretty well, I was completely dumbfounded. These 2 SCs are followed by one RC - which has toughest vocabulary and is centered on some Fossils and its Art. These 5 questions have simply spoiled my all Preparation bcoz u know after these 5 questions the whole verbal was just not that tough, it may be very well possible that as GMAT is CAT

Well, this score cant help me anymore to apply to my dream schools. I am really thinking to reappear for GMAT atleast once.

But the important thing is that i applied all my means to this score, (for PS as well as verbal). I am really frighten that self preparation may not help me to achieve good verbal marks as of PS.
Does anybody has any helping words ?

Thanks,
Dharmin
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 08:47
Dharmin, find solace in that your quant is very strong. For verbal, we can never know too much how we perform. RC is most people's doom and if you know your weakness to be verbal, practise it relentlessly. I for my part will be practicing with a friend of mine who has a degree in english literature and will hope to increase my RC skills. I'm also reading a few novels to improve my comprehension while trying to read at a faster pace.

It is my belief and conviction that you can improve your verbal skills if you put in extra effort to it. Analyze verbal questions on this board and support your answers and provide reasons why all other answers should be rejected. Unfortunately, this is something only a few members try to do (Carsen, Anandnk--> well the only two I can remember of so far: sorry for the other ones who do it too 8-) ).

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience but don't let your dreams slip away. You might have lost a battle but not the war. Remember that my friend. Now, gear up and get ready to fight again! :war
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 09:22
Paul wrote:
Dharmin, find solace in that your quant is very strong. For verbal, we can never know too much how we perform. RC is most people's doom and if you know your weakness to be verbal, practise it relentlessly. I for my part will be practicing with a friend of mine who has a degree in english literature and will hope to increase my RC skills. I'm also reading a few novels to improve my comprehension while trying to read at a faster pace.

It is my belief and conviction that you can improve your verbal skills if you put in extra effort to it. Analyze verbal questions on this board and support your answers and provide reasons why all other answers should be rejected. Unfortunately, this is something only a few members try to do (Carsen, Anandnk--> well the only two I can remember of so far: sorry for the other ones who do it too 8-) ).

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience but don't let your dreams slip away. You might have lost a battle but not the war. Remember that my friend. Now, gear up and get ready to fight again! :war


Paul, Thanks indeed dear, u are really a generous guy. Moreover, i wanna know one thing please paul tell me frankly, is this score going to ruin my admission chances at good BSchool ?
How about my chances after such a bad score ? Though i have decided to go for one more try tell me one thing, Is it really worth to one more take ?

By the way, yr advice to prepare verbal is ineed correct, a separate thanks for that

Dharmin
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 11:28
Depending which school you apply to. If you are going for a top school, 570 will not make the cut. However, taking it again and improving that former score will not at all hurt your admission chances. Instead, it will show the adcom that you are perseverant and hardworking. You may want to ask the askaccepted.com forum. Take it again would be my bet.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 19:54
Paul wrote:
Depending which school you apply to. If you are going for a top school, 570 will not make the cut. However, taking it again and improving that former score will not at all hurt your admission chances. Instead, it will show the adcom that you are perseverant and hardworking. You may want to ask the askaccepted.com forum. Take it again would be my bet.


Hai paul, is it really true ? I mean, taking gmat again creates really a positive impression on adcom as perserverant ?
then it is worth to take again yar.
By the way, paul i value yr opinion to retake. And, ya let me ask accepted.com.


thanks paul,

Dharmin
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Posts: 51
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 20:59
You might want to get an English tutor and/or a GMAT verbal tutor. It sounds as if your English skills need improvement, and that will make a huge difference for reading comprehension.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 21:10
Lucyloo wrote:
You might want to get an English tutor and/or a GMAT verbal tutor. It sounds as if your English skills need improvement, and that will make a huge difference for reading comprehension.


A bunch of thanks, Lucyloo
I appriciate your comment and frankly i am of the same opinion. But the problem is the availability of private tutor. Anyways, i am looking for a tutor

Thanks, Dharmin
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 15 Aug 2003
Posts: 3470
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2004, 23:48
Tough Day.

It wont affect your admissions decision. Most schools consider the highest GMAT score. so you can relax and take your GMAT the second time.

Your Quant is great. can you can tell us more about how you prepped for verbal. Write in as much detail as you can. That way, i and other members can help you better.


Regards
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 01:05
Praetorian wrote:
Tough Day.

It wont affect your admissions decision. Most schools consider the highest GMAT score. so you can relax and take your GMAT the second time.

Your Quant is great. can you can tell us more about how you prepped for verbal. Write in as much detail as you can. That way, i and other members can help you better.


Regards


Thanks praet for comments. Well, I did Kaplan 2004, OG and Princeton along with Kaplan Verbal Book. I was reading Reader's Digest and few good news papers also.
But it seems i have concentrated more at Quant and the important thing is not just to learn verbal but to do verbal in stress, after all completing Quant and then start with verbal demands high skills of stress management.

any suggestion ?

Dharmin
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2003
Posts: 462
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 08:04
Dharmin,
Sorry to hear about that score buddy.You have got an excellent score in quant so take solace from that.As for verbal ..well! it has always been a bane for we Indians(even I screwed up big time in verbal).I'm not aware of any private tutor for GMAT verbal in Mumbai.I suggest you log on to GMAT yahoogroups(gmattutordata and gmattutor) and put up a request asking for a private tutor as there are lot of Mumbai GMAT takers in these groups.Do you have IMS GMAT materails...if not then maybe you could go for that...I've heard that they have some decent verbal stuff.

Just hang in there buddy...we still have some time before the app season starts...so just prepare well and give it your best shot.

Wishes,
Vivek.
_________________

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2004, 21:16
Vivek, Thanks pal - bunch of thanks for suggestions. I found one name ezare - based at mumbai. I am just looking for Verbal tutor, lets c.

By the way vivek, I heard Oct is the starting month of 1st round to most of the bschool, is it correct ?
And moreover, to become eligible in 1st round itself i need to comlete TOEFL also as we dont have 1st language as English. Tantatively which date should i treat as Last Date for GMAT ? I mean to complete app, toefl and gmat before 1st round of most of the good bschool.

dharmin
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Posts: 51
Location: USA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2004, 07:33
Hey, Dharmin...did you check out other tutoring options? Check the big prep companies. Princeton Review has international classes, and they probably have a center near you. If they do, they'd have a tutor.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 06 Dec 2003
Posts: 366
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2004, 22:08
Lucyloo wrote:
Hey, Dharmin...did you check out other tutoring options? Check the big prep companies. Princeton Review has international classes, and they probably have a center near you. If they do, they'd have a tutor.


Luckyloo, u r correct; i am trying to locate as many claases as possible so to choose the best but it is very difficult to trace

Dharmin
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2004
Posts: 10
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2004, 09:23
Dharmin:
I think that 570 will not get you in a top school. Let me share with you some experiences.

I scored 590 Q47 and V22. I also have a Masters from the number 1 International Affairs programme in the US. I have 7 years of solid international experience. Speak various langauges. Essays were superb. I did not get in to Any of the top 4 schools that I applied to. Infact, I spoke with the Director of Admissions of a top school and she said " your GMAT score was the only thing that we did not like. So, Dharmin, if you have great experience and have a great score, then you are in. The school may say that the GMAT is not important, but it is. So get your score up( I am doing the same thing on the verbal part).

Another friend of mine from Bain Consulting. He is from mexico. He had 5 years of consulting experience. Lived in Australia( For a Mexican, this is unique). His GMAT was 550. He did not get in anywhere.

Anyway, if you want to work together to tackle this Verbal beast, then feel free to contact me.

Avtar
  [#permalink] 11 Jun 2004, 09:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMATPrep 1: 570 (Q49 V20) Fantabulous 2 08 Mar 2014, 23:27
1 570 to 650 to 740(48q,42v) kastino 1 06 Oct 2012, 11:04
1 Need help to improve my score. 570 Q 48, V20 adam15 1 09 Dec 2009, 13:08
530(q-->48 and v-->16) to 570 (q-->44 and v-->25) Nihit 1 04 Oct 2008, 09:48
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic 570 (q48v21)--->630 (q50v25)--->??? UMB 6 05 Sep 2008, 02:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

570 - Q 48, V 20

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: TGC



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.