Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [12]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
WE:Project Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: 570 to 600 to 700 : "The Story of a Fight Within" [#permalink]
chaine21 wrote:
Quote:
Hi chaine21 :wave:

Congratulations on scoring 700 . :wave :woohoo

:help2 I'd like to know a bit more about you profile , your work experience & how you've been studying over this last year.

1) What were your Scaled Scores on your Original GMAT?

2) Over the course of the last few months, how many practice CATs did you take? And which "brands" of CATs were they?

3) How did you score on each of your practice CATs (please include the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

4) Was there anything about Test Day that was different from your practice? Think about the details. The time of your Test? What you did the night before? Did you skip the Essay/IR during practice? Etc.

5) If you weren't close to your goal score during your practice, then why didn't you push back your Test Date and continue studying? Are you on any deadlines?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Exam, so we should be able to define what went wrong, then correct it before you retest.

In addition to the above, I also want to ask you a few questions that will help me in understanding your case in a better manner.

Mocks

1. Which mocks have you taken? What was your score in the mocks?

2. Were there any repeats in the mocks?

Approach – Sentence Correction

1. How do you solve SC questions? Present the thought process that you go through.

2. What has been your SC accuracy in mock tests?

Approach – Critical Reasoning

1. How do you solve CR questions? Present the thought process that you go through.

2. What has been your CR accuracy in mock tests?

Approach – Reading Comprehension

1. How do you solve RC questions? Present the thought process that you go through.

2. What has been your RC accuracy in mock tests?

Time Management

1. What was your time management strategy in mocks?

2. Were you able to execute on the strategy?

Looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,

ANUJ SINGH

Hej Anuj :)

Am a project Manager working since 2010 , and part of my study pattern is listed above .
Details below :

1) GMAT ATTEMPT III SCALED SCORES - Q49 , V35 , IR 7 and AWA awaited

2) & 3) For the last 2-3 months have been practicing CATs(had almost 8 CATs left from VERITAS & MANHATTAN and bought 2 more from GMAT PREP- EXAM PACK1 )
To be honest Anuj , personally will rate the CAT in terms of decreasing difficulty MANHATTAN > GMAT PREP > VERITAS

was scaling around 730-750 in VERITAS (Q 50 , V 40) - no repeats

MANHATTAN - 690-710(QUANT is tough here so was getting around 48ish and 49 , but verbal was a great stamina builder and a practice tool with some extensive questions : There was an interesting 700-800 CR question which asked a percentage and the answer was a multiplication of two percentages of two premises , on an avg 39-41 ish) - no repeats

GMAT PREP - This is the one closest to GMAT with similar fonts and tabs on PC and probably a similar difficulty level , detailed scoring of 4 tests (2 were repeats and 2 were new ) : 750 , 760 , 710, 720

4)As I mentioned , I made sure I chose a different test centre for an attempt to relieve my self of a DEJA VU feeling . This third attempt has the smallest test centre ever , 15x15 feet room with 6 spots for exams , even the washroom was outside the centre .
There were moments in Verbal specially in the mid section where I took more that average time and was thinking of making the mid section powerful , with a good start . Rest was quite OK and normal and yes the "cold Delhi Winter always helps to COOL the nerves"

5)FOR The second attempt I did a lot of hard work but not enough strategy for approach and that did me in , and yes there was deadline also .

MOCKS :
Discussed above

APPROACH - SC
This section is the one with the maximum rules (even more that QUANT :lol: ) , I made sure I covered SC (even if repeating a topic but did see the approach) from almost 5 Seasoned TBs - MANHATTAN , VERITAS , ARISTOTLE , GMAT GRAMMAR BOOK and KAPLAN . This helped me create a master record book (hard copy only as I believe in writing down stuff for a good download)
Then realised that the strategy is present in almost every question . Following that was an intense practice session for almost 700 SC questions from them . After this u realise that u realise that there are lot many decision points(almost 3-4 in every long SC statement ) and cool trap choices (in short ones)
ACCURACY IN MOCKS SC - out of avg 14-15 q was getting 12-13 right !

APPROACH CR
Again this section is very "critically interesting to tackle " :wink: !
Whenever you start with this first get a feel of the question types :
- POWERSCORE BIBLE - divides them quite well into sub types also with an interesting PERCENTAGES at the end
- VERITAS - SWIM approach - STRENGTHEN , WEAKEN , INFERENCE & METHOD of REASONING - 5 STAR ***** QUESTIONS here for practice , do all of them (ALL OF 'EM)

After you have mastered CR question types , u move to a question with the type in mind .
For example ASSUMPTION NEGATION TECHNIQUE rocks in assumption questions and SHELL Game answers elimination in MUST BE TRUE questions !

Then u practice hard again ! 8-)
ACCURACY : out of 13-14 , was getting 10-11 right

APPROACH RC
Personally no approach is sound here unless one can reas and analyse the PASSAGE FAST ! One should practice reading hard and critically first . I remember reading NY times in OFFICE with a huge STARBUCK COFEE MUG to keep me awake ! :lol: .. The passage can be boring at time specially the - HISTORY ones , the ones with languages and there roles , and personally i did not like the political ones ! But u gotta read 'em and fast !

I never looked at the first question unless I read at the passage and got involved with it . If am reading about" BUTTERFILES - I MAKE SURE I INVOLVE WITH THEM, FEEL THEIR PAIN AND STUFF :lol: :? :roll: :P " and answer for their WELL BEING ! :lol:

Also as I mentioned in my post above , TRAP answers will be lingering , the ones where u can direcly pinpoint from the passage ! BE CAREFUL OF 'em and DOUBLE CHECK !

ACCURACY - 13-14 of 4/5 PASSAGES : usually getting 12-13 correct (highest accuracy here !)

TIME MANAGEMENT

Aaaah ... the one where i strategized big time !
OK ..So.. In verbal :

TIME
75-60 : 10 Q DONE
60-50: 15 Q DONE
50 - 40 : 22 Q DONE
40-30 : 27 Q DONE
30-20 : 31 Q DONE (reason is you will slow down a bit due to tiredness of TAMING THE BEAST ! :o

SC - 50-1 minute max
CR- 1.2 - 1.5 MINS MAX
PASSAGE IN RC with 4 questions - 2.5 mins for reading and then 50-60 secs per question

QUANT
I always managed to finish like 10-12 mins to spare so did not strategise here zyaada .
20-0 : LAST 10 QUESTIONS (i MADE SURE i have 20 mins for last 10 as IT IS the final SPRINT !)

:lol:

Do let me know in case you need any more clarification .
PS : ABOVE ALL ...U NEED TO BELIEVE ANUJ ! :-D :wink:

Thanks :thanks , I shall keep these points in mind and shall post in case I have a query .

:btw You should write your name in thread in gmat club that contains name of students who have scored 700 or 700+

Congrats again .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 989 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Congratulations.. you have used lots and lots of books.. I have just 25 days and can put in 4 hours per day. Which books would you recommend for

1. Quant
2. Verbal

What do you think about some of the online courses.. I have heard a lot about egmat for non natives. I am currently at q45 v20-25
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
surenagastya wrote:
Congratulations.. you have used lots and lots of books.. I have just 25 days and can put in 4 hours per day. Which books would you recommend for

1. Quant
2. Verbal

What do you think about some of the online courses.. I have heard a lot about egmat for non natives. I am currently at q45 v20-25

HI surenagastya

25 days is good time provided you are regular . I will suggest that some days you put in more time and give a mock exam(maybe a SAT/SUN and sacrifice on that occasional outing with buddies :lol: ) , this will help map your progress and help identify your weak points .

To make a good base = do VERITAS complete series of VERBAL AND QUANT and you will notice commendable improvement (Trust me it was only in the III attempt I stumbled upon VERITAS books and they are awesome !!)

U need to then juggle b/w OG and VERITAS books for practice and command over your skills (+ SC MANHATTAN )

Then u may give a mock to analyse your progress .

If you really want to go deep then u may progress with more material . But keep on PRACTISING and do not let go of that mental Tuning u might have set !

For any online/external course you need to ask yourself 2 questions :

:!: ARE U LACKING IN CONCEPTS ? If yes then plz go for an external course (after U go through some material as discussed above and u have anaylzed your performances in a few mocks )
:!: ARE U LACKING IN PRACTICE ? If yes u need to take a call whether u can devote more time in practising which U and only U can do !

Again above is my personal observation and I do believe EGMAT is a good course !

And obviously above all .. U NEED TO BELIEVE !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
ya...This is a very intersting story!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Braydon6 wrote:
ya...This is a very intersting story!

Cheerz Braydon6
:lol: :wink: :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Congrats on a great score.

Can you suggest some regular practice sources for Verbal other than mocktests.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Klenex wrote:
Congrats on a great score.

Can you suggest some regular practice sources for Verbal other than mocktests.

Thanks.

Hey Klenex

For both Quant and Verbal , you should start with Veritas and juggle simultaneously with OG to get a good grip . Veritas has got excellent questions and interesting approach which takes you from basics to advanced level .

Do also practice the Manhattan series !

U need to be regular in all and above all : U NEED TO BELIEVE .
CHEERZ and All the best !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 680 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
chaine21 wrote:
Quote:
Hi chaine21 :wave:

Congratulations on scoring 700 . :wave :woohoo

:help2 I'd like to know a bit more about you profile , your work experience & how you've been studying over this last year.

1) What were your Scaled Scores on your Original GMAT?

2) Over the course of the last few months, how many practice CATs did you take? And which "brands" of CATs were they?

3) How did you score on each of your practice CATs (please include the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

4) Was there anything about Test Day that was different from your practice? Think about the details. The time of your Test? What you did the night before? Did you skip the Essay/IR during practice? Etc.

5) If you weren't close to your goal score during your practice, then why didn't you push back your Test Date and continue studying? Are you on any deadlines?

Thankfully, the GMAT is a predictable, standardized Exam, so we should be able to define what went wrong, then correct it before you retest.

In addition to the above, I also want to ask you a few questions that will help me in understanding your case in a better manner.

Mocks

1. Which mocks have you taken? What was your score in the mocks?

2. Were there any repeats in the mocks?

Approach – Sentence Correction

1. How do you solve SC questions? Present the thought process that you go through.

2. What has been your SC accuracy in mock tests?

Approach – Critical Reasoning

1. How do you solve CR questions? Present the thought process that you go through.

2. What has been your CR accuracy in mock tests?

Approach – Reading Comprehension

1. How do you solve RC questions? Present the thought process that you go through.

2. What has been your RC accuracy in mock tests?

Time Management

1. What was your time management strategy in mocks?

2. Were you able to execute on the strategy?

Looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,

ANUJ SINGH

Hej Anuj :)

Am a project Manager working since 2010 , and part of my study pattern is listed above .
Details below :

1) GMAT ATTEMPT III SCALED SCORES - Q49 , V35 , IR 7 and AWA awaited

2) & 3) For the last 2-3 months have been practicing CATs(had almost 8 CATs left from VERITAS & MANHATTAN and bought 2 more from GMAT PREP- EXAM PACK1 )
To be honest Anuj , personally will rate the CAT in terms of decreasing difficulty MANHATTAN > GMAT PREP > VERITAS

was scaling around 730-750 in VERITAS (Q 50 , V 40) - no repeats

MANHATTAN - 690-710(QUANT is tough here so was getting around 48ish and 49 , but verbal was a great stamina builder and a practice tool with some extensive questions : There was an interesting 700-800 CR question which asked a percentage and the answer was a multiplication of two percentages of two premises , on an avg 39-41 ish) - no repeats

GMAT PREP - This is the one closest to GMAT with similar fonts and tabs on PC and probably a similar difficulty level , detailed scoring of 4 tests (2 were repeats and 2 were new ) : 750 , 760 , 710, 720

4)As I mentioned , I made sure I chose a different test centre for an attempt to relieve my self of a DEJA VU feeling . This third attempt has the smallest test centre ever , 15x15 feet room with 6 spots for exams , even the washroom was outside the centre .
There were moments in Verbal specially in the mid section where I took more that average time and was thinking of making the mid section powerful , with a good start . Rest was quite OK and normal and yes the "cold Delhi Winter always helps to COOL the nerves"

5)FOR The second attempt I did a lot of hard work but not enough strategy for approach and that did me in , and yes there was deadline also .

MOCKS :
Discussed above

APPROACH - SC
This section is the one with the maximum rules (even more that QUANT :lol: ) , I made sure I covered SC (even if repeating a topic but did see the approach) from almost 5 Seasoned TBs - MANHATTAN , VERITAS , ARISTOTLE , GMAT GRAMMAR BOOK and KAPLAN . This helped me create a master record book (hard copy only as I believe in writing down stuff for a good download)
Then realised that the strategy is present in almost every question . Following that was an intense practice session for almost 700 SC questions from them . After this u realise that there are lot many decision points(almost 3-4 in every long SC statement ) and cool trap choices (in short ones)
ACCURACY IN MOCKS SC - out of avg 14-15 q was getting 12-13 right !

APPROACH CR
Again this section is very "critically interesting to tackle " :wink: !
Whenever you start with this first get a feel of the question types :
- POWERSCORE BIBLE - divides them quite well into sub types also with an interesting PERCENTAGES at the end
- VERITAS - SWIM approach - STRENGTHEN , WEAKEN , INFERENCE & METHOD of REASONING - 5 STAR ***** QUESTIONS here for practice , do all of them (ALL OF 'EM)

After you have mastered CR question types , u move to a question with the type in mind .
For example ASSUMPTION NEGATION TECHNIQUE rocks in assumption questions and SHELL Game answers elimination in MUST BE TRUE questions !

Then u practice hard again ! 8-)
ACCURACY : out of 13-14 , was getting 10-11 right

APPROACH RC
Personally no approach is sound here unless one can read and analyse the PASSAGE FAST ! One should practice reading hard and critically first . I remember reading NY times in OFFICE with a huge STARBUCK COFEE MUG to keep me awake ! :lol: .. The passage can be boring at time specially the - HISTORY ones , the ones with languages and there roles , and personally i did not like the political ones ! But u gotta read 'em and fast !

I never looked at the first question unless I read at the passage and got involved with it . If am reading about" BUTTERFILES - I MAKE SURE I INVOLVE WITH THEM, FEEL THEIR PAIN AND STUFF :lol: :? :roll: :P " and answer for their WELL BEING ! :lol:

Also as I mentioned in my post above , TRAP answers will be lingering , the ones where u can direcly pinpoint from the passage ! BE CAREFUL OF 'em and DOUBLE CHECK !

ACCURACY - 13-14 of 4/5 PASSAGES : usually getting 12-13 correct (highest accuracy here !)

TIME MANAGEMENT

Aaaah ... the one where i strategized big time !
OK ..So.. In verbal :

TIME
75-60 : 10 Q DONE
60-50: 15 Q DONE
50 - 40 : 22 Q DONE
40-30 : 27 Q DONE
30-20 : 31 Q DONE (reason is you will slow down a bit due to tiredness of TAMING THE BEAST ! :o
20-0 : LAST 10 QUESTIONS (i MADE SURE i have 20 mins for last 10 as IT IS the final SPRINT !)

SC - 50-1 minute max
CR- 1.2 - 1.5 MINS MAX
PASSAGE IN RC with 4 questions - 2.5 mins for reading and then 50-60 secs per question

QUANT
I always managed to finish like 10-12 mins to spare so did not strategise here zyaada .

:lol:

Do let me know in case you need any more clarification .
PS : ABOVE ALL ...U NEED TO BELIEVE ANUJ ! :-D :wink:

5 STAR ***** QUESTIONS here for practice

By ***** I mean questions that are very interesting and have more than one option that u might think is correct and U end up confused !
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts