Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2013, 11:03
The SC strategy really makes sense to me. Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 14:56
good advice on SC and CR. i was just starting out in POWERSCORE and realized they don't have mgmat-esque appendix for OG questions, and so far (first 4 chapters), i don't even remember any mention of OG material (maybe the reference to the link you posted.

and completely agreed on SC, sometimes i even felt like i didn't know why something was incorrect until reading the solutions. better to do end of chapter questions, work half of OG stuff after each chapter if you must (but probably without too much focus on timing, IMO ONLY, because that way i felt like i wasn't learning the material). then overall SC practice/review can be used to work on timing and consolidation of your material/memory etc. my advice should be taken with at least a truckload of salt though :P
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2013, 18:04
Hello,

Congrats on your improvement. I have been preparing Verbal using Aristotle SC Grail, Powerscore CR Bible, SC-CR 1000,solving random questions from GMAT Club and Quant using Bunuel's GMAT Club Math Book. My score in MGMATs always hovered around 590(Q39-41,V31-33).

I analysed the tests and found that I almost got 700 level questions on both Q&V wrong everytime while maintaining a 80% accuracy on the 600 level questions. Afterwards, while preparing, I broke my pattern so that I knew what level questions I was solving. e.g I took a set of 20 S-V Agreement 700+ level questions from GMAT club and used to set the timer to 35 min and used to check my accuracy and tried improving every time

Unfortunately I usd this pattern during the later stages of my prep and wasn't able to do full justice on the D-Day. I scored 630(Q44,V33), which was anyways much better than what I was scoring in the mocks. I'm following the same strategy now and am looking to get my score to 650+ levels after which I'll decide on a date.

Can you suggest any other method I can possibly use to increase my score?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 01-15-2014
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 13:03
good advice on SC and CR

I am hungry for kudos.... Please give me some :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT Date: 02-14-2014
GPA: 2.3
WE: Other (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 18:01
AbhiJ wrote:
rsaraiya wrote:
Awesome Debrief!! Congrats!!!

Thanks buddy, if you need any help please let know.

Hey! Congratulations :)

That's a remarkable achievement. It's been 1 and half months I am preparing for GMAT. Have taken 2 tests. scored 530 (gmat prep) in one and 540( kaplan test) in the second one.

My CR is extremely weak. I studied Power Score CR bible but couldn't get much help. Can you please suggest some other book. Also I have to take G<AT in feb end. Will I be able to brush up till then and score 700+?
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 01:15
Vidhi1 wrote:

That's a remarkable achievement. It's been 1 and half months I am preparing for GMAT. Have taken 2 tests. scored 530 (gmat prep) in one and 540( kaplan test) in the second one.

My CR is extremely weak. I studied Power Score CR bible but couldn't get much help. Can you please suggest some other book. Also I have to take G<AT in feb end. Will I be able to brush up till then and score 700+?

You need a plan to reach to your goal. This means that should have a target Quant Score and Target Verbal Score in mind, for e.g. 700 (Q49 V36). It can be a different split different based on your strengths and weaknesses. From 530 its clear that you can move to 600-630 by focusing on your strength only. For example many with quant background focus on quant and get to Q47 V25 to reach to 620. Once you have maxed out on your strength the focus on weakness (in this case Verbal). Pick SC and invest 1 month, then move to CR and invest 1 month. Then give a full length test to see where you are. You should be in 670 range. A few full length tests + review and 700 is within your reach. The whole process takes 4-5 months.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 11

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 02:06
Hey AbhiJ,

Good tips there. Pls. advise a strategy for RC too..

And regarding Quant, I am not able to break the Q45 barrier, pls. suggest how can i achieve Q49-50
Expert Post
Economist GMAT Tutor Representative
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 08:17
Expert's post
Thanks for this helpful tips!

We recently started a series on our blog that asks former students what advice they would give to people just starting out. They have some great tips, so check it out here:

http://gmat.economist.com/blog/student- ... mat-points

Enjoy and best of luck!

Liz
http://econgm.at/KvjVSi
Economist GMAT Tutor
(866) 292-0660

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2014, 21:47
Klenex wrote:

Hey AbhiJ,

Good tips there. Pls. advise a strategy for RC too..

And regarding Quant, I am not able to break the Q45 barrier, pls. suggest how can i achieve Q49-50

Frankly speaking was not good at RC and may not be able to give you the best advice. My only suggestion would be to use MGMAT RC guide.
Assuming you are Q45 level, would suggest you to get 19 more kudos and get access to GMAT Club tests and practice them :). Else MGMAT Advanced Quant is good as well.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT   [#permalink] 03 Mar 2014, 21:47