Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
117 KUDOS received
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [117] , given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
#1: Donot spend too much time on your strengths - The ROI begins to diminish after a point. If you have reached higher rungs of Q50 (4 or fewer mistakes), then there is no point hammering challenge problems and sectional tests. There is no guarantee that you would score Q51. Cases in point are several people who scored Q51 the first time around followed by Q50 in the second attempt. Moreover even if you score Q51 your overall score may not change. Google Q50 V35, Q51 V35. Both invariably lead to a score of 710.Just give one sectional tests in Quant every week and you would be fine. Similar principle would apply for verbal nerds/studs :). That is those who scored V42 and above.

#2: Donot Over-Analyze Tests/Questions: Some very reputable tutors suggest spending 10-20 mins analyzing a single questions. The problem is most people donot have 8 hours every day for GMAT. Tutors have that luxury we donot. Spend a max of 10 mins analyzing each question. This is especially true for CR/RC/PS/DS problems where there are no subtle patterns to be memorized. If you are spending more than 10 mins on a problem it shows that you are lacking in the content/fundamentals and you need to revise the strategy guides or refer to fundamental books(high school stuff). Remember the probability of facing a similar question on GMAT is very low. GMAT tests your mental agility which comes only through practice. Time is a commodity which you cannot buy or buy back.
Note: SC is an exception to this rule as SC problems have several patterns which are repeated. Hence spending 10+ mins on a SC problem you missed is acceptable. Donot forget to note the Take-aways in SC.

#3: Not making notes while reading Strategy Guides - Most people are habitually lazy (myself included) and they think "Oh I get it, I know it, I would be able to recall later". Do not do this to yourself(unless you have a super sharp memory). People forget 84% of what they read within one day. Keep a notebook handy and make small notes while reading Strategy guides. This would prove to be a time saver while revising. If you fail to do this you will have to do double work later.

#4: Reading several strategy guides and confusing yourself - As a very well know researcher Mark Joshi once said "I would prefer you read one book 9 times than reading 9 different books on the same subject". Pick one book in every topic and read it , re-read it, ear mark it, till you understand. In the area of weakness you will probably need to read a strategy guide several times. This does not mean you can not refer to non GMAT books on the subject. You probably should in your area of weakness. However stick to 1 GMAT related strategy guide per topic. This sounds confusing :). Right. Here is how to do it. For example in Manhattan SC you encounter "prepositional phrase", you refer to your high school grammar guide and note its full definition on Page 77. So you underline the word "prepositional phrase" using pencil and add a note "Book Name" Pg77. This would prove more useful when you are in the initial phase. Later on you when you have grasped/internalized the concept you can rub the reference.

#5: Reading Powerscore CR completely and then solving OG questions: Powerscore CR runs over 300 pages. Its very diifficult to retain key concepts together and apply them successfully after reading the whole book. For someone starting out in CR a better strategy would be read each chapter and solve OG problems for that chapter. For example after you have read Strengthen chapter, you can solve all the Strengthen questions from OG12/13. This would reinforce the correct problem solving process. Please see the link below for topic wise classification of questions.

http://www.powerscore.com/crbible/content_index.cfm

After you repeat this process a couple of times on OG12/13. You can do mixed CR sets from OG V2.

#5: Reading one chapter Manhattan SC and then solving corresponding OG questions : The problem with solving SC questions chapter wise is that SC problems rarely test one error at a time and hence your accuracy will be much lower than if you read the whole book and then solve the questions. I made the mistake early in my preparation and my accuracy was 40% in OG12. My confidence was thrashed even further when I was reading OG solutions which made little sense to me at that point. I would suggest you read the first 8 chapters of Manhattan SC several times and when you are confident solve OG12. Your accuracy would be higher, OG solution would make sense and your time will be utilized properly.

#6: Giving tests every week in early/mid stages of your preparation: GMAT is like a boxing match. You need to be able to handle several moves before you enter the ring. This takes time. Donot give tests on every weekend in early/mid phases of the your preparation. In the last month leading to your GMAT appointment giving tests every Sunday makes sense.

#7: Spending money on several prep courses: You cannot buy a GMAT score. In spite of tall claims and guarantees made by prep companies you will have to do (80-90)% of the work. Most prep companies offer you a bunch of problems with answers.Everything is present in OG/MGMAT Guides. All you need is diligence. You can use these courses as a supplement but not as a substitute for rigorous self study. If you are not motivated no course will help you. In areas of weakness get help from a local tutor but only after you have tried your best. This is because you donot want to spend money learning basics when you can learn the same from Strategy Guides.

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, a day or even a year. If I quit however, it will last forever.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [3] , given: 85

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
Definitely sticking some of these in my mind ;)

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9413 [1] , given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 13:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congratulations on your improvement!!!
710 is a great score! Congrats and great job! Very well done with the debrief format.
Thank you.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 273 [1] , given: 67

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 14:34
This post received
KUDOS
What an achievement
Best part of debrief was your footer...Moreover what an excellent way to wrap up 2012.....Was this your 2nd gmat expeirence or 570 was on diagnostic test..
Can you pls mention various resources which you used area wise.

Lastly how did you use GMAT Club should one totally depend on it.
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 264

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 20:10
hey buddy, happy to know the result....
Thanx for the great debrief...Hope to join your league of 700 club members soon
Good luck ahead..

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 02:49
This post received
KUDOS
Archit143 wrote:
What an achievement
Best part of debrief was your footer...Moreover what an excellent way to wrap up 2012.....Was this your 2nd gmat expeirence or 570 was on diagnostic test..

Archit,

I used standard resources: OG 12, OGV2, MGMAT 8 Guides, Powerscore CR , Manhattan 6 Tests, GMAT Prep, GMAT Club Quant Tests.
If you have a problematic area please let know as can better suggest you some other resources/strategies.

Used GMAT Club for 10 Quant sectional tests and as a source of motivation.
The idea is to use substitute GMAT Club for Facebook :).
There are some awesome guys here, bb, souvik, Bunnel, bmillan01 to name a few.

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 324 [1] , given: 191

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 02:52
This post received
KUDOS
rajeevrks27 wrote:
hey buddy, happy to know the result....
Thanx for the great debrief...Hope to join your league of 700 club members soon
Good luck ahead..

Rajeev you are almost there. I am sure you would cross the 700 barrier.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 67

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 03:34
AbhiJ wrote:
Archit143 wrote:
What an achievement

Archit,

I used standard resources: OG 12, OGV2, MGMAT 8 Guides, Powerscore CR , Manhattan 6 Tests, GMAT Prep, GMAT Club Quant Tests.
If you have a problematic area please let know as can better suggest you some other resources/strategies.

Used GMAT Club for 10 Quant sectional tests and as a source of motivation.
The idea is to use substitute GMAT Club for Facebook :).
There are some awesome guys here, bb, souvik, Bunnel, bmillan01 to name a few.

Hey

Last gmat prep i scored 570 (Q42 V25) it was last have not given any yet........

Quant i am not able to increase further max 44..
Grey areas

Quant

DS co ord
Co ord area questions
Number and factors
Perm Com

Maths i think i lack practice and approach to challenge prob which is clear from my score...do not know how to improve
I have MGMAT Number and word prob books.. Currently practicing from GROCKIT.

Verbal

SC was main prob... Using E - gmat sc online...Only 50% strike rate..
CR <I think its much of practice, depending totally on GMAT Club>, Reading Powerscore CR bible again and again.......
RC (On my last gmat prep was good as i had just 4 wrong overall, but i am scared whether i will be consistent with it)

Hoping to hear from you ...My target score is 650+.....

Archit
3 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 324 [3] , given: 191

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
Archit143 wrote:
Last gmat prep i scored 570 (Q42 V25) it was last have not given any yet........

Quant i am not able to increase further max 44..
Grey areas
Quant

DS co ord
Co ord area questions
Number and factors
Perm Com
Maths i think i lack practice and approach to challenge prob which is clear from my score...do not know how to improve
I have MGMAT Number and word prob books.. Currently practicing from GROCKIT.

Verbal

SC was main prob... Using E - gmat sc online...Only 50% strike rate..
CR <I think its much of practice, depending totally on GMAT Club>, Reading Powerscore CR bible again and again.......
RC (On my last gmat prep was good as i had just 4 wrong overall, but i am scared whether i will be consistent with it)

Hoping to hear from you ...My target score is 650+.....

Archit, You need to change your strategy a bit. You are tackling all your Gorillas(weak areas) at once. This can be overwhelming.
You should pick one area and really solidify it (by referring to Strategy Guides and practicing area specific problems). Since you are already 42 on Quant, you can improve further by reading *all MGMAT Quant Strategy Guides* + 5 Quant Sectional Tests.
Once you feel you have maxed out on Quant. Then pick CR and devote 2-3 weeks for the same, practicing from OG12 etc. Then do the same for SC , however giving yourself more time. When you are practicing verbal keep giving either 1 Quant sectional tests every week or 2 mini Quizzes of 20 Questions. Once you have covered all this then you can pick MGMAT RC(it should take 1-2 day to finish) and solve OG12 RC problems. Then given 1 GMAT Prep tests. If you do the above you would reach close to 670-680.
570 was my Knewton Diagnostic (Q43 V26).

Current Student

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 11:33
Hey Abhi
thanks for your reply

I want to know that you mentioned Quant sectional test, what is that and waht is the source....If you mean any specfic than kindly fwd the link.

Another think i am presently practicing weak areas in Quant from Grockit....Though i do not have Co ord geo, Advanced quant guides of MGMAT.....

If I am not wrong did you mean MGMAT quant sectional tests right.....
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 324 [2] , given: 191

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 05:36
This post received
KUDOS
Archit143 wrote:
Hey Abhi
thanks for your reply

I want to know that you mentioned Quant sectional test, what is that and waht is the source....If you mean any specfic than kindly fwd the link.

Another think i am presently practicing weak areas in Quant from Grockit....Though i do not have Co ord geo, Advanced quant guides of MGMAT.....

If I am not wrong did you mean MGMAT quant sectional tests right.....

Sectional Tests mean you give Quant part of GMAT as a stand alone test of 75 mins and 37 Questions.
GMAT Club is the best source of sectional tests. I would say they are a closer replica of GMAT than MGMAT tests.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2012, 23:46
Awesome Debrief!! Congrats!!!

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 05:06
rsaraiya wrote:
Awesome Debrief!! Congrats!!!

Thanks buddy, if you need any help please let know.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2012, 23:52
One very important aspect :

Select your books or study material very carefully, specially those online notes. Although the intention was good for online sharing but unfortunately those writers are person like you and me, they are not professional. So, to go for a quick win or shortcut, you may actually learn the wrong thing.

for example, 'being' can be correct, 'if' can be correct in SC. Don't trust too much on online experts!!

My simple advice is, instead of reading too many things, just read the very best like OG, Manhattan and Aristottle and PRACTICE. Some so called popular books were just rubbish, I don't want to name it.

Identify the best books for you and focus on that.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 16

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2012, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats!! great feat...

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 08:43
mansoorfarooqui wrote:
Congrats!! great feat...

Pardon my Ignorance, is the picture of the avatar yours.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE: Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 17:11
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations on a great score! :-D I have been MIA re-studying for the GMAT test again.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 9

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 19:22
wouldbecrazy wrote:
One very important aspect :

Select your books or study material very carefully, specially those online notes. Although the intention was good for online sharing but unfortunately those writers are person like you and me, they are not professional. So, to go for a quick win or shortcut, you may actually learn the wrong thing.

for example, 'being' can be correct, 'if' can be correct in SC. Don't trust too much on online experts!!

My simple advice is, instead of reading too many things, just read the very best like OG, Manhattan and Aristottle and PRACTICE. Some so called popular books were just rubbish, I don't want to name it.

Identify the best books for you and focus on that.

Hey could you please name some of those rubbish books to help us all save time??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 10:57
I have read a lot of books - MGMAT, Power Score Bible for CR, etc - on GMAT including OG (all edition). Unfortunately I am not doing well on GMAT prep (580 Q48 V29). Now I am totally confused what to do. My intention is to do much more better in verbal section. Please give some ideas.
Current Student

Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2013, 01:29
sairakarim07 wrote:
I have read a lot of books - MGMAT, Power Score Bible for CR, etc - on GMAT including OG (all edition). Unfortunately I am not doing well on GMAT prep (580 Q48 V29). Now I am totally confused what to do. My intention is to do much more better in verbal section. Please give some ideas.

HI

Are you sure of your score....i think there is something wrong in the break up, with Q 48 and V 29 you must be above 620 score......Even with new scoring pattern of gmat......
Try google you will find many responses ..infact the score is very close to 650.....
I am not sure whether the break up u entered is correct.
If you see your sectional %ile , referring to OG 13 ...you will find

Q 48----80%ile
V 29 -----53 % ile
So your total score must be close to 70 % ile 620 and not 580 ......which is just 57th %ile....With Q 48 even if your score is V 25 or 26 you must land on 600 score...

Regards
Archit
Re: 570 to 710 - Seven "Do Nots" of GMAT   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2013, 01:29