Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

570 to 700

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 1

570 to 700 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 00:06
This post received
KUDOS
Finished the exam yesterday, I'm more or less happy with my score, and very much not going to retake the test :-D

Prep: Mostly OG, with the math supplement. I also bought the verbal supplement, but didn't even open it, so that was a waste of money. I also used the MGMAT SC book, but mostly for the CATS provided with the purchase of a book. I probably should have just bought the CATS from them online. I also, of course, used the GMATPrep software and this wonderful message board.

I started with a 570 from the GMATPrep test about nine months ago. I had a feeling I could do better as generally I’m decent at standardized tests and I had a lot of room to improve in math as I hadn’t touched much of that subject matter in about four or five years. I focused my study in that direction. I was doing maybe six or seven hours of study a week max for the first few months, and was a little disjointed. I mostly just wanted to re-familiarize myself with math. To that end I often referenced PurpleMath—another website I would highly recommend for folks like me who had to go back to the beginning for quant.

I registered for the test, then the last couple weeks before the exam I spent eight or nine hours of study, a little more focused, and began to look at the SC stuff in the MGMAT book. Two nights before the test I looked over formatting for the AWA.

I’m a US citizen who lives in Europe, so I took the test here in Brussels. The test center here is quite small, with only three computer terminals. It also struck me as very laid back… there wasn’t a proctor in the room with the testers, and I’m fairly sure they weren’t monitoring the CC-tv cameras as when I or another testee raised our hands no one responded. For the breaks I would just get up and leave the room after clicking the button to start the break.

I honestly didn’t feel all that confident going into the test. I had been looking at the exam as a kind of pass/fail proposition, with the breaking point being that 700 mark. The last couple nights before the test I had a real feeling that I would probably do better than 600, but not that 700. I know these are arbitrary and somewhat counter-productive feelings, but I actually think reading some of the threads on this site may have contributed my attitude :-)

During the math section I felt totally behind the power curve, and at one point in the middle had fallen behind on time. I made a couple relatively quick guesses to catch myself up. Verbal went much faster, I think I finished with about 30 minutes to spare.

Final score 700, Q43/V42. Edited to add 6.0 AWA.

Best part of the day was afterwards the wife and I went over to Delerium Cafe for some beer. That spot is awesome… it’s close to the Grand Place and has over 2000 brews in stock. I had hoped that we would have been able to tour some of the EU buildings (our hotel is literally next door to the EU parliament, and a great deal at 50Euro a night) but they close early on Fridays. I consoled myself with a couple more of the aforementioned beers. :)

All the best with everyone’s studies!

Last edited by Square on 28 Aug 2009, 07:14, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE: Other (Insurance)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 45

Re: 570 to 700 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 06:01
:shock:

That's quite the accomplishment!

Congrats and good luck on your apps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

Re: 570 to 700 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 06:13
Great Score!

Getting a V 42 with 30 mins to spare is just awesome. Can you share some tips on your verbal Prep.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: 570 to 700 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 07:23
snipertrader wrote:
Great Score!

Getting a V 42 with 30 mins to spare is just awesome. Can you share some tips on your verbal Prep.

Dude, I wish I could... I didn't do a whole lot of verbal prep as I wasn't sure there was much value added for me. I've always been a reader and a pretty big dork. The verbal sections of standardized tests have always been easier for me.

I think it's kind of cruddy that, in my opinion, folks can only really prep for one bit of the verbal section--SC. Even then, so much of that can rely on idiom recognition that "prep" devolves into memorizing US English expressions. For the reasoning and reading comprehension, I'm not sure how much preparation one can really do aside from having a store of intellectual capital built up through reading. In terms for finishing quick... well, that may just be my personality--I'm not one to agonize. I just wish I could have done that during the math section.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 570 to 700 [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2013, 08:37
Well done buddy, Great score :D
Re: 570 to 700   [#permalink] 04 Dec 2013, 08:37