Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 05:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

580 -> 580 - Better luck next year, right?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 580 Q35 V35
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

580 -> 580 - Better luck next year, right? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 11:08
Hey guys,

New poster but been a reader for months now. I took my first stab at the GMAT in October, scoring a 580. Quant was rather low (don't recall the specifics but I think 40th %). Studied only using the OG Prep; did not plan well. Lesson learned, right?

After reading posts, planning to study better, and purchasing the MGMAT materials (which I thought were helpful), I was prepared for a new approach. I was not too concerned with Verbal as I scored in the 80th on my previous attempt; so I focused almost exclusively on Quant. My confidence was growing. Scored 650 - 690 on three MGMAT Practice CATs and was nailing 600-800 level Quant questions. Retook Dec 27th. Same score, 580. I actually, lowered my quant to about 37th % and raised my Verbal. I was...a little pissed, given my almost exclusive focus on Quant. BLERG!

Areas where I think I screwed the pooch:
1. Work got crazy; I am a CPA, 10/31/11 year-end audits and studying don't mix. Need to find/make more time for focused studying.
2. Blew off a few weekends for partying instead of studying. Opps.
3. Test anxiety; I can't explain why I have maintained almost 100 point differences between my practice tests and my actual testing. Maybe I need to work on performing under pressure? I used my breaks, splashed cold water, did jumping jacks in the bathroom, deep-breaths, etc.
4. Not enough focus on Data Sufficiency; I seriously think my Problem Solving skills were improving but that might be it.

It is frustrating to do well on practice exams and practice problems but take a hot dump on the exam? Any suggestions or similar stories?

All in all, I am still applying for Top 10 schools and hoping my resume and essays will get me there, but I don't plan on making the cut. Here's to next year, after a long 12/31/11 year-end audit, and another redesigned approach for studying.

Cheers,
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.15
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 580 -> 580 - Better luck next year, right? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 06:35
Hey dude

same for me, this test is annoying. Did it now 3 times got 560, 600, 550.Thats a joke in the practice exams I was always between 650-730.
Actually in the last attempt I felt very confident in the Verbal part and was sure that I will score around 34. But I got a 23. Really devastating.

But I dont give up, and give the next try in february. Actually what really pisses me off is that you dont get to see your mistakes, so you will never know your weakness in Verbal. You just see a damn score :-(

And you will never know if a there is mistake with the software etither, because the guys from GMAC will never give you a fair answer.
Re: 580 -> 580 - Better luck next year, right?   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2012, 06:35