Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

580: Do I have a shot?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

580: Do I have a shot? [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 09:34
So, this is my first post on here.

I just took the GMAT today and got a 580 (Quant: 29, Verbal: 40). I am certainly not very good at math on these standardized tests. In real life, though, I am a CPA working at an investment bank. I am actually unusual for this board - I am solid on verbal, but poor on quant.

This was the 2nd time I took the GMAT (the first time I took it in August, I got a 520 (Q: 30 V:31).

Does anyone here think I should take the test again in November? I would really appreciate any opinions that you could provide. Do I have any kind of chance of improving to a 35 on quant? Given my CPA and quality work experience, do I have any kind of a shot at a good business school. Or will the 580 basically keep me out?

So far, I have taken The Princeton Review course (absolutely useless for quantitative) and I have taken the 4 Kaplan CD tests. Every time, I run out of time on quant, and end up guessing on the last 5-10 questions (I know...really bad). The data sufficiency gets me every time.

Thanks in advance for any advice you could provide.

:roll:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 11:40
1. People like Hjort, Linda and Scott on the B-School forum will be able to better analyze and suggest for this score. Let them know what your target school/course/part-full is.
2. I think you can take GMAT again - one more time with more hardwork on DS and PS and with enough time (I personally think Nov is too early).
3. I have heard good things about GMAXonline and Manhattan GMAT - you may want to try.
4. The problem might be with
(a) the basic understanding in maths concepts - you can learn concepts by studying school books or other maths specific books to start with. (I was weak in verbal and did the same. I went to library and spent time on generic Grammar books, before spending time on GMAT verbal books)
(b) DS specific - get and do any number of DS that you get in hand, once you are done with the basic maths enhancement period. The DS tested in GMAT is within repeating concepts and you may be able to master the sequence. Practice and learning your mistake are the keys in this phase.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 13:22
Hawk269, I'm in your shoes as well. But my verbal isn't as strong as yours. I work in marketing & rarely use any quant. for my work so it's a little unfair "competing" with all the engineers and other math geniuses.

However, I have made great strides in the past two months to bring my Quant. to the late 30s, I even got a 40 on a test which is great for me. I checked out Kaplan Math Workbook which gave me a very good understanding and practice for many of the types of problems that the GMAT tests. It doesn't have stats or probability but you can find info on that here. You may want to TIME yourself in that book.

Also, your post doesn't state whether you used the offical guide. That's the best source for me for practicing GMAT math. I think DS problems are horrible--my weakest area & the main reason for my low score. However, the offical guide has helped in that area as well.

In the end, I will show via my college transcripts and essays that I earned an A or B in all of my quant. classes (Calc., Alegebra, Trig, Stats, etc.) & I will be enrolling in a finance and accounting class to prepare for the MBA program as well. I don't test to my true ability in quant., & it's unfair that a TIMED test is supposed to deterimine's one's ability.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 433 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2004, 20:44
Hi,

A high verbal ability on the Quant section is actually a great asset since many math questions are have an important reading comprehension component.

Hjort
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 04:48
Hi,
Count me in your club.

After reading many posts on this forum, I reached on conclusion not to give up. Unlike you, I am week in verbal.

You can certainly improve without much efforts just by mastering basics of math and doing practice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 17:10
Math can absolutely be increased. You are in a fortunate position, it is much harder to acquire the verbal skills that the analytical skills. This is simply a conclusion of the fact that almost every math problem you will see on the GMAT is a variation of one available through test material. Take the challeges on this forum, they are exteremly beneficial. Also, practice relentlessly. You could definately breach 700 hundered with improvement to your Q scores.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2004, 11:36
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. It is greatly appreciated.

I am going to speak to a few school reps for advice and, knowing how competitive this process is, I will probably end up giving this test one more shot.

It's not in my personality to just give up. No matter how difficult this test is. Even if I try to improve and fail, it would be easier for me to live with that than quit now.

I hope to see you all around here for the next 1-2 months.

Aaron
:wink:
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2004, 11:39
Hawk269 wrote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone. It is greatly appreciated.

I am going to speak to a few school reps for advice and, knowing how competitive this process is, I will probably end up giving this test one more shot.

It's not in my personality to just give up. No matter how difficult this test is. Even if I try to improve and fail, it would be easier for me to live with that than quit now.

I hope to see you all around here for the next 1-2 months.
Aaron
:wink:

...and miles to go before I (you) sleep.
good luck
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2004, 12:26
Hey Hawk I feel your pain, I really do, I just took the exam an hour ago and got a (drum roll please)....................... 580, yep I called an advisor/family friend I know at the school I want to get into (university of Arizona) and he told me "take the exam again, the invisible unspoken bottom is 600" meaning anything less than a 600 you should probably have the last name "Bush" to get a chance with any decent program. I
m not giving up and neither should you. Even though it's only an exam, you shouldn't give up for this same reason, it's only an EXPLETIVE Exam.

Don’t give up.

Last edited by jeremy02 on 11 Oct 2004, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2004, 12:36
Welcome to the club jeremy and Hawk. I'm sorry for your experiences with the GMAT but know that it IS possible to increase your score to 700+ if you put in serious effort at it. I would suggest you to actively participate in this club in order to learn. Remember, there is nothing wrong about having a wrong answer; however, there is something wrong about refraining from posting an answer which could help yourself and others learn. We only learn through our mistakes and it the only way one gets better. One more thing: as I often said, there is no merit in posting a mere answer to a question. Instead, try to explain why you picked the right answer or rejected the other ones and you will see your learning curve increase. Good luck in your quest to both of you :)

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 11 Oct 2004, 12:36