I took my first real GMAT today and scored a horrible 580 (Q35 V35). Needless to say I was really dissapointed with the score alone, but the fact that I had to fly from Africa to Europe to take it and won't have another opportunity until October again is really frustrating.
Some background: I am currently a Peace Corps Volunteer (Economic Development) in the West African country of Senegal. I'll have 2 years WE by this time next year, 3.14 Undergrad from good state school (Purdue) majored in Advertising, Entrepreneurship/Innovation. I've been prepping on and off for the GMAT for a few months and have done many practice exams. I'm planning on applying to Masters in Management programs in England (LSE, LBS, Imperial, Cass) since I'm dual citizen and want US undergrad, Africa Work Exp, and European Masters.
I was aiming for around 650-700 on the actual exam as that is right around what is needed for many of these programs. I've done 19 (Kaplan
, MGMAT, GMAT Prep) practice exams and have averaged a 620 since the Feb., my last three were 690, 660, and 700. During the exam I was feeling good, not rushed, and prepared. However, as I moved through the quant section I knew the questions were easier than they should've been. I think that I must've done poorly on some of the earlier questions, got stuck in a rut, and then carelessly answered "easier" questions I wasn't used to seeing on my practice exams, especially quant is not my strength. The verbal was lower than I normally earn, but perhaps the funk from the quant carried over and pysched me out. No matter the cause, it's done now and I'm trying to decide how I should move forward.
That said, I'd like some advice from you guys. All things considered, should I plan on retaking in October when I'm visiting the states? Senegal does not have any testing locations so I can't simply go back in a month. I'm assuming yes since it probably can't hurt. I know I can score better, but will it matter with what I'm applying to and would it delay my applications in a detrimental way?
I am going to take a week, enjoy my time in England and my family, and not dwell on this unfortunate result. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance for your input.