Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

580 - good enough?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

580 - good enough? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2003, 11:27
Scored 580 today, my first attempt.

As I suspected, scored very well on verbal, not so well on quant'.

I did find the quant' section very hard; far more line graphs than I expected and some horrible looking algebra. I'm not really sure that this tests practical day-to-day math, as one would use in business.

In terms of resitting, I don't really see the point. I put in a good months study and gave it my best shot. I could spend two years study getting a 750 score or two years getting the MBA - no brainer!!

Questions - 1) is 580 good enough for most UK schools (I think Warwick ask for 600 though Bath is 550) and 2)should I worry about a low quant score?

Thanks

Andrew.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2239

Kudos [?]: 8448 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 580 - good enough? [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2003, 17:19
Expert's post
ANDREW wrote:
Scored 580 today, my first attempt.

As I suspected, scored very well on verbal, not so well on quant'.

I did find the quant' section very hard; far more line graphs than I expected and some horrible looking algebra. I'm not really sure that this tests practical day-to-day math, as one would use in business.

In terms of resitting, I don't really see the point. I put in a good months study and gave it my best shot. I could spend two years study getting a 750 score or two years getting the MBA - no brainer!!

Questions - 1) is 580 good enough for most UK schools (I think Warwick ask for 600 though Bath is 550) and 2)should I worry about a low quant score?

Thanks

Andrew.

If you are looking for quant stuff, you will probably get here more than you need :wink:

As to math, it varies from month to month - sometimes it is a killer and sometimes it is indeed a day-to-day (how many eggs or how much time...etc)

In the US programs, usually Quant is considered more valuable due to a heavy Fin/Acc/Econ/Stat/OM emphasis; thus a person with good quant skills is always considered more prone to succeed.

I dont' want to imply anything - we had a few of our strongest members butt's whopped, but quant tends to be easier to master. You could probably go up to 40-46 in about a month if you spend 2 hours a day, 3 days a week. The weakness of math is that it is limited in variety and can be approached without a strategy in contrast to CR and RC.

I am not sure what you used, but a few suggestions would be get a Kaplan's workbook - always a good reference (also the Main book with CD has a nice and super consice review section of 138 points - recommended as well).

Also, don't try to emphasize on what you got the last time you took the test - it probably won't be there next time.

any logical fallacies in my reasoning?

P.S. if the admission is in the Fall and you have time, I would for sure invest a month into math; if it is July 1..... maybe.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2003, 17:53
Hi Andrew

you could look at applying to UK schools with the score of 580 provided your work experience and reference letters and academics are strong. I know of people who have made it with that score to some UK university, but they had about 10 years work ex and great reco......

hope this helps

jabs
Eternal Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Quant Score ? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2003, 10:42
What did you get ?

Raw Score ?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2003, 11:53
32!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2239

Kudos [?]: 8448 [0], given: 3647

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2003, 20:39
Expert's post
ANDREW wrote:
32!

I guess i said this, but I woudl work on Quant. A school may choose to make you take an "Optional" stats or quant class in addition to the difficulties with admission....

What have you decided?
  [#permalink] 17 Jun 2003, 20:39