Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

580 (Q:39 V:31) - how much does this score REALLY count??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go for it - send in my application to Top Tier MBA?

• 0% [0]
  • 100% [2]
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

580 (Q:39 V:31) - how much does this score REALLY count?? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2003, 06:15
I wrote my gmat today and got 580 (Q:39 V:31) :? . Verbal was disappointing (English 2nd lang). I did not finish EITHER sections and had to guess my last 5 questions just to make it to the end i.e by cut-off.

I guess the frustrating part here is that I am so close yet so far. I want to apply to a top tier MBA school (current gmat average for January intake around 703), but since the final deadline for the January intake is around the corner, I don't know whether I should give it a bash and send in my applications. There is not enough time to work this score up. Next intakes are only in Sept '04.

I think my profile is quite strong - 4 yrs in Big5 strategy consulting, full scholarship for University, just moved to France for that "international working experience", good recommendation letters...wrapping-up my essays with an "ex-MBA-candidate-from-THE-school's" coach.

What do you think - should I send my applications or rather improve my gmat first? Do I have a chance AT ALL?

Advice WELCOME!..... :?:
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2003, 06:45
Eliza,

I dont know how many schools you are planning to apply to? In my view in your list of schools , if you are planning to apply to 5 schools, you can send this to 2 schools and take a chance. schools which have an average score of 650 could look at your credentials and recommendation letters closely and if they are outstanding as you say , you may still make it.

But, if you have the time you could give Gmat a shot again after improving on your strategy.

In this forum there are people who have improved 50-100 points in their second attempt.

Good luck :)
jabs
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2003, 08:41
Jabs - thanks for your advise - I am only planning to apply to 2 schools. The one requires a gmat average of around 650 and the other of around 700. Perhaps I'll send my application to the first only, as you suggested...E
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2160

Kudos [?]: 7599 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 580 (Q:39 V:31) - how much does this score REALLY count? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2003, 14:00
Expert's post
Eliza wrote:
I wrote my gmat today and got 580 (Q:39 V:31) :? . Verbal was disappointing (English 2nd lang). I did not finish EITHER sections and had to guess my last 5 questions just to make it to the end i.e by cut-off.

I guess the frustrating part here is that I am so close yet so far. I want to apply to a top tier MBA school (current gmat average for January intake around 703), but since the final deadline for the January intake is around the corner, I don't know whether I should give it a bash and send in my applications. There is not enough time to work this score up. Next intakes are only in Sept '04.

I think my profile is quite strong - 4 yrs in Big5 strategy consulting, full scholarship for University, just moved to France for that "international working experience", good recommendation letters...wrapping-up my essays with an "ex-MBA-candidate-from-THE-school's" coach.

What do you think - should I send my applications or rather improve my gmat first? Do I have a chance AT ALL?

Advice WELCOME!..... :?:

What is the disadvantage of applying?

Fees?
Bad record?

-=
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2003, 00:35
Well the "big" schools (or the 2 I am going for) state on their web sites that if you applied once and did not make it, you should not bother to try again......I find that hard to believe though.

But well, I have decided to rewrite the GMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!! It feels as if this test has taken complete control of my life! What about you guys?

Apparently around the end i.e. before the final deadline of an intake group, there are only a few seats left and the competition gets harder to get in...so I don't think my 580 will go too far at this point!

E.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2160

Kudos [?]: 7599 [0], given: 3626

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2003, 00:45
Expert's post
Eliza wrote:
Well the "big" schools (or the 2 I am going for) state on their web sites that if you applied once and did not make it, you should not bother to try again......I find that hard to believe though.

But well, I have decided to rewrite the GMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!! It feels as if this test has taken complete control of my life! What about you guys?

Apparently around the end i.e. before the final deadline of an intake group, there are only a few seats left and the competition gets harder to get in...so I don't think my 580 will go too far at this point!

E.

Probably your reasoning is correct, unfortunately.

If there are a few seats and a lot of applicants, the adcom my try to weed out the low gmat folks first as not to bother reading application essays too much. (I am still not completely sure about the process and about who reads the essays, but this is my impression).

That's a little cruel too about one chance :) Sounds like Europe :wink: I am from "europe" by the way if Ukraine counts, which it probably does not.

I had GMAT as the goal of my life for about half a year. At some point I almost forgot that I have to do smth else. It is actually quite a bummer when you do well on the gmat and then you have to do the essays, and I really suck in this field. I think I have invested too much time and effort in teh GMAT that I almost was disgusted with the whole application thing and ran out of juice for essays and the rest....

-=-=
  [#permalink] 19 Jun 2003, 00:45