Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

580 to 650

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

580 to 650 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 16:30
Hello Everyone,

I've been monitoring this forum for a couple of months. I haven't had alot of time on my hands to spend online. I took the GMAT in November and scored a 580 64%, 40Q 61%, 30V 59%, 5.0AWA. I was disappointed. The essays were easy topics and things started off well. Then the nervousness started. The math questions were too easy. I kept telling myself that I must have missed a few at the beginning. The absolute values questions were tough. I took the five minute break to settle my nerves. It didn't help. I had three RC in a row! Two of the three were on women civil rights. I noticed that everyone on the forums said that the test seems hard and not to worry about the score. So I closed my eyes and clicked the option to report the score.

FAST FORWARD TO TODAY

I didn't do any major studying between Nov and today. I mainly studied on my day off, focusing on Kaplan 800 material. I did a few practice essays and logged on to this site to see solutions to tough math problems. I purchased the sample problems from this site last night to help with combinations and absolute value problems (well worth the $9.95). I set my goal at 620. I wasn't seeking a perfect score. I went to bed around 8:30 last night. I wanted to get a really good night of sleep. I layed in bed until 1:00AM. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't calm my nerves. When I woke up in the morning my wife made me breakfast and insisted that I drink a blueberry smoothie. I told her no, but the more she asked the more nervous I became. I arrived at the test center early and went right in. I told myself not to waste too much energy on the AWA. I didn't want to strain my brain too early. The topics were easy and I couldn't help myself. I wrote five paragraph essays on both topics. Then came an entirely new beast. This math section was very different from the one I encountered in November. I had hard absolute value problems, combination problems (easy), and several prob. problems. Every problem was difficult (like the ones on this site). My time went fast! I usually don't run behind. This was a very hard math section. I guessed on the last two math questions. I felt better at the break this time. The verbal section started off fine. No real problem here. At last I was finished with the exam. I proceeded to see the score and was pleasantly suprised w/ a 650 84%, 44Q 73%, 34V 72%. I know that this doesn't compare to a 700+, but it was a very good score considering my goals.

Last edited by scraper on 06 Jan 2005, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 18:06
Congrats and best of luck with your apps.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 22:04
Very nice post. Congrats on your score
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 22:42
Congrats scraper. 650 is a good score and I'm glad that you reached your target score. The probability guide is indeed very helpful. I knew nothing about probability and learned it all from this site. I wish you all the best in your applications, friend.

Best Regards,

Paul

[#permalink] 05 Jan 2005, 22:42