Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

580. Would like to improve.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

580. Would like to improve. [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2003, 12:43
I took the GMAT last Monday and got a 580. I moped around for about a week and then found this site today in an attempt to locate information about devising a better GMAT study plan. I wish I had been aware of this site before I had taken the exam.
Anyway, I am pretty disappointed about my score. I am not making any excuses I am just disappointed. On the powerprep I scored a 730 about two months ago, studied some more, and then actually did worse (710) when I took the second powerprep exam the morning before the real thing. In addition, I took the Kaplan exams and got a 550, 580, 580. I haven't seen any other posts on this site in which someone indicates that Kaplan's CAT was a true indication of his score, so I thought I would mention it. I mean, most people are on this site saying they got a 580, 610, 640 on Kaplan and got a 740 on the real thing.
Anyway, I am looking for advice regarding taking the exam again. As background info, I scored in the 70th percentile in verbal and in the 52nd percentile in quant. As far as the verbal goes, I think I was doing fine up until the end...I literally guessed at the last 9 questions. I completely ran out of time. I think if I imporve my timing, I could boost my verbal score up to the 90th percentile. I am not sure, however, what happened with my math. Maybe I just didn't keep a cool head.
I have three questions: 1. Has anyone had experience boosting his or her score from 580 to 680? I mean, is that possible? and 2. Considering I studied from the Official Guide and a Kaplan cd, is there something else I should be using in order to achieve my goal? 3. I didn't do any of the problems in the ETS powerprep GMAT practice disk other than the two powerprep GMAT exams. Is the other information on that cd worthwhile? Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2003, 21:02
petemajors, I know its been a while since you psoted your message but I hope I can help.
I took the gmat a few months ago, and scored in the low 500s. I am set to take it again very soon.
If your practice scores are any indication of your ability, you should be scoring higher than 580. However, If you used OG before the powerprep - this would explain your high scores. As far as Kaplan, and other test prep companies go, their exam questions simply do not represent ETS questions. The test prep companies do a lousy job of preparing us for the GMAT exam - Their strategies are great...study them, adopt them, but I wouldn't waste my time with practicing their questions. I learnt that first hand. OG is them best prep text you can get. Study it inside out.

How was you nerves on test day? Where you overly anxious, and nervous? Things to think about.

I wish you all the best.
  [#permalink] 14 Nov 2003, 21:02