Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

590 -> 640 to 730, Deadline: 20 December

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

590 -> 640 to 730, Deadline: 20 December [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 09:04
Hello,

I have taken 2 practice tests (GmatPrep, 1st practice test), in which I received the following scores:

30th September: 590 - 40Q, 31V
15th November: 640 - 48Q, 29V

I am looking for a strategy or a study plan in order to improve my current score.

Some guides state that the best strategy is to "focus on your strengths", however, with 51Q and 31V my GMAT score would be 680. On the other hand a 48Q + 37V would grant me a 700. What's the best strategy / study plan for the following 5 weeks? I've finished all 8 Manhattan guides, should I start practicing more? (doing exercises and practice tests? Note: I've completed only about a quarter of The Official Guide 13th Edition - so I haven't been practicing much)

What should I focus on? How many hours per day should I spend on both? Any piece of advice is useful!

Help!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [1] , given: 22

Re: 590 -> 640 to 730, Deadline: 20 December [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sebby05 wrote:
Hello,

I have taken 2 practice tests (GmatPrep, 1st practice test), in which I received the following scores:

I am looking for a strategy or a study plan in order to improve my current score.

Some guides state that the best strategy is to "focus on your strengths", however, with 51Q and 31V my GMAT score would be 680. On the other hand a 48Q + 37V would grant me a 700. What's the best strategy / study plan for the following 5 weeks? I've finished all 8 Manhattan guides, should I start practicing more? (doing exercises and practice tests? Note: I've completed only about a quarter of The Official Guide 13th Edition - so I haven't been practicing much)

What should I focus on? How many hours per day should I spend on both? Any piece of advice is useful!

Help!

Hello!

Sounds like you have been working hard! But don't stop now. You have more work to do to meet your goals. This is what I recommend:

1. Finish the OG 13th Ed. The more practice problems you do, the better you will do on the test. Period. So you should definitely make it a goal to complete this book.

2. When you get a problem wrong, spend time analyzing why and take notes. Missing a question is the best thing that can happen during your studies because you have just discovered a weakness and something to learn. Take the time to dissect the problem to figure out what went wrong. And record what you find so that you can return to it later and refresh your memory before test day. And don't just do this going forward. Go back through all the practice that you've done and look over your wrong answers. It will be great review and will help you to improve.

3. Practice tests only help if you are totally mimicking the testing environment. So make sure you are taking complete tests with writing and IR. Follow the schedule for breaks.

4. You should spend about 2 - 3 hours of studying a day.

5. Schedule your days the best you can. Map out your time and make a plan for the you next 5 weeks. Look all that you need to do and figure out how much you can do in a day. You need to have the long view in mind when you are studying. Otherwise you may not use your time efficiently.

6. Keep your strengths strong, but definitely look for places to improve. This is one reason I recommend taking the time to look over the questions you missed. You will find weakness that you can turn into strengths. Some weaknesses may be easier to correct than others, but ultimately, focusing on the areas that you struggle in will help your score.

I hope that you find these suggestions useful. :)

Kevin Rocci
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: 590 -> 640 to 730, Deadline: 20 December [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 03:44
Thank you :)

Still looking for ideas!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-06-2013
GPA: 3.52
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 31

Re: 590 -> 640 to 730, Deadline: 20 December [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 05:38
sebby05 wrote:

Still looking for ideas!

stuck in same situation buddy..540(Q47v12) in Feb to 630(Q47 V31). Practicying very hard. But just not able to tame RC and SC.

Sorry i cant be of much help tp you, rather seeking help from you if you have any tips to offer me.

Finished MGMAR 8 guides, OG12,OG13, OG review 2nd Edition for quant and verbal both. I guess Its more than enough. I am able to find my errors but not able to improve.

thanx
Anuj
Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: 590 -> 640 to 730, Deadline: 20 December [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2013, 06:48
sebby05 wrote:
Hello,

Help!

Check them out....

everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-129968.html

gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html

anujkeshri wrote:
sebby05 wrote:

Still looking for ideas!

stuck in same situation buddy..540(Q47v12) in Feb to 630(Q47 V31). Practicying very hard. But just not able to tame RC and SC.

Sorry i cant be of much help tp you, rather seeking help from you if you have any tips to offer me.

Finished MGMAR 8 guides, OG12,OG13, OG review 2nd Edition for quant and verbal both. I guess Its more than enough. I am able to find my errors but not able to improve.

thanx
Anuj

how-to-improve-verbal-from-v30-to-v40-142361.html

Check some more verbal links in my signature.

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Re: 590 -> 640 to 730, Deadline: 20 December   [#permalink] 16 Nov 2013, 06:48