Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 12:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi everyone,
I just took the GMAT last week and received a 590 (37 M, 35 V) and am not sure if I should take the test again. On 4 practice tests I averaged around 580 but then received a 640 on my last practice test before taking the real thing. I'm looking at part time MBAs at the following schools : UMD, GW, hopkins, american, virginia tech and georgetown. My school of preference would either UMD, GW or Hopkins (I know georgetown is a stretch).

-I earned a BA in Economics at Univeristy of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Minor in French) and graduated with a 3.03 GPA (not very good I know, let's just say I had other priorities in undergrad).

-I'm pretty confident that my professional experience/recommendations should be fairly impressive (currently a Finance and Compliance Manager for a 1000+ company) . I also am not too worried about writing a strong essay.

- Looking at class profiles, I'm either at or slightly above the average GMAT scores for all part-time MBA programs except for Gtown and Hopkins has not posted their scores. While I'm pretty confident that I could achieve a higher score if I take the test again, I don't want to risk getting a lower score that might put a school like UMD, GW or Hopkins out of reach.

Do people think it's worth taking the test again? Or should I just focus on putting together a strong application?
Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross '13
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 12:53
plive202 wrote:
Hi everyone,
I just took the GMAT last week and received a 590 (37 M, 35 V) and am not sure if I should take the test again. On 4 practice tests I averaged around 580 but then received a 640 on my last practice test before taking the real thing. I'm looking at part time MBAs at the following schools : UMD, GW, hopkins, american, virginia tech and georgetown. My school of preference would either UMD, GW or Hopkins (I know georgetown is a stretch).

-I earned a BA in Economics at Univeristy of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Minor in French) and graduated with a 3.03 GPA (not very good I know, let's just say I had other priorities in undergrad).

-I'm pretty confident that my professional experience/recommendations should be fairly impressive (currently a Finance and Compliance Manager for a 1000+ company) . I also am not too worried about writing a strong essay.

- Looking at class profiles, I'm either at or slightly above the average GMAT scores for all part-time MBA programs except for Gtown and Hopkins has not posted their scores. While I'm pretty confident that I could achieve a higher score if I take the test again, I don't want to risk getting a lower score that might put a school like UMD, GW or Hopkins out of reach.

Do people think it's worth taking the test again? Or should I just focus on putting together a strong application?
Thanks in advance for the feedback!

A good GMAT score will not get you in, but a poor one could keep you out. At the end of the day what adcom really wants to see is a candidate who has great leadership skills and will end up pulling the school up vs. dragging it down as far as reputation is concerned. I would say that as a rule of thumb if your GMAT is more than 30 points below the class average or median GMAT you should re-take the GMAT. Otherwise work on the app and make your case as strong as possible.
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 16:50
when are you applying? isnt it getting too late for this year to retake?
I would recommend a retake if you like GTOWN their avg is around 670 last time i checked.
For the other schools so for it, your WE should make you competitive

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 05:43
Thank you both for the helpful feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm actually applying for Spring 2012 so I have a little bit of time but I'm leaning towards focusing on my application and not taking the test again.

Is there a reason why part-time MBA standards seem to be noticeably lower than their full-time counterparts? When I look at full-time programs at the same schools I'm applying to, the average GMAT is around 40-50 points higher than their part-time programs, so if I were applying for full-time, I would certainly take the test again.

I understand that with full-time you get the networking advantages, but does that warrant such a substantial difference in admission standards? I guess at the end of the day, schools need revenue so they can't be too stringent with their standards at all levels. In any case I'm only interested in part-time since I like my job and have no desire to quit, but I just wanted to be sure before I apply that what I'm reading online about average GMATs for part-time programs is in fact correct.

Thanks again.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 05:05
Expert's post
plive202 wrote:
Thank you both for the helpful feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm actually applying for Spring 2012 so I have a little bit of time but I'm leaning towards focusing on my application and not taking the test again.

Is there a reason why part-time MBA standards seem to be noticeably lower than their full-time counterparts? When I look at full-time programs at the same schools I'm applying to, the average GMAT is around 40-50 points higher than their part-time programs, so if I were applying for full-time, I would certainly take the test again.

I understand that with full-time you get the networking advantages, but does that warrant such a substantial difference in admission standards? I guess at the end of the day, schools need revenue so they can't be too stringent with their standards at all levels. In any case I'm only interested in part-time since I like my job and have no desire to quit, but I just wanted to be sure before I apply that what I'm reading online about average GMATs for part-time programs is in fact correct.

Thanks again.

The part-time scores do average lower because the competition is significantly lower (fewer applicants vying for the spots since the programs tend to be pretty local). If you retake and receive a lower score, it doesn't matter: the schools use the highest score you received for their decision. For that reason, I say go ahead and retake it with no pressure: you've received a "good enough" score for most of your programs and this effort will hopefully put you in the running for the stretch ones.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Schools: Virginia Tech

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2011, 15:58
I'm in the area. Taking the GMAT soon and my target school is Virginia Tech. Looking for 600+ so I can get in.
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: 590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2011, 00:04
Expert's post
aznboi986 wrote:
I'm in the area. Taking the GMAT soon and my target school is Virginia Tech. Looking for 600+ so I can get in.

Wise decision! Let us know how it goes!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern
Schools: Virginia Tech

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2011, 14:26
jenniferbloom wrote:
aznboi986 wrote:

Got a 610 and received my acceptance online. Go Hokies!
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: 590 GMAT 3.0 GPA Any feedback would be appreciated! [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2011, 03:31
Expert's post
aznboi986 wrote:
jenniferbloom wrote:
aznboi986 wrote:

Got a 610 and received my acceptance online. Go Hokies!

Congratulations! Enjoy the program!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553