Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

590 GMAT - Great everywhere else, where can I get in?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

590 GMAT - Great everywhere else, where can I get in? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 03:02
I lazily studied for the GMAT for two weeks and got a 590. 92nd percentile verbal and 28th percentile quant.

Everything else about my application is great. 3.5+ GPA from a top 30 national university, top 10 public. I've been a very successful entrepreneur for the last four years after doing a year of corporate sales out of University. I'm 29. I'm American but have not lived there for the last four years, traveling the world for much of that time - living for a time in several countries in Europe and Asia. So to put it simply, I think my essays will make me really stand out from the crowd. I am far from the typical MBA applicant - I don't need the money, wont be looking for a job after graduation, have a great resume but one probably very unlike the majority of the other candidates.

My letters of recommendation I guess aren't stellar either. I haven't had many superiors so I have one from a professor who probably doesn't even remember me and another from an investor in one of my companies. His letter will be great but I'm not sure how much credibility he holds. The professor will likely just say I got good grades and have done well since University (based upon what I told her).

I'm only really interested in one international University where I'm pretty sure I will get in - however if I have a chance to get into any good schools in the US I will apply and go back for interviews. I don't want to waste my time though if they wont even consider me.

Schools I would probably attend if accepted:

Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Wharton
Kellogg
USC
UCLA
Berkeley

Other than that I think I'd just stick to my international school. Stanford GSB is my absolute dream school and I'd be willing to jump over the moon for a shot at getting in.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 590 GMAT - Great everywhere else, where can I get in? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 11:53
Hi SierraVista, if I were you, I'd retake the GMAT and aim for anything over 650. Your GMAT score is well below par of the schools you mentioned. Harvard/Stanford/Wharton are probably slimmer than slim. Stanford's median GMAT score is 710 (and pretty much the average as well). With you saying that you won't even be looking for a job after graduation makes business schools cringe and will ask themselves...well, what do you plan to do then? If you're continuing your entrepreneurship, that'll be something to talk about. In regards to your reference letters, the one from your professor probably won't mean much to business school because that letter won't indicate any leadership, nor work ability, but simply your grade and your effort in class. The one from your investor may be different and better.

Overall, I'd say that your chances of getting admitted to the listed schools are not too likely unless there's an increase in your GMAT score. Looking at the score themselves, it's very obvious that you're better at the verbal section. However, business will look down on the 28th percentile quant (especially the fact that adcom/business schools care more about your quant score) and will not like the huge difference between the two (for sure).

I hope I'm not being too blunt; I've read too many of the personal evaluations (including my own evals) and can pretty much guess this is what's going to happen. I'd suggest you copy and paste what you wrote into AlexMBA's section or Accepted.com's section up above from where you posted this thread.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 590 GMAT - Great everywhere else, where can I get in? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 12:50
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping that the B schools mean it when they say that the GMAT score is just one metric used to evaluate a candidate. GPA+GMAT are just two of multiple factors that can get you into a top school, though they are the two students focus on the most. I'm sure there are people who get 590 or less accepted to every major program every single year - though they are truly exceptional cases or people, I'm not saying I'm one of them - but I would like to think that the GMAT is not as important as you make it sound. Or maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Of course I have a plan for what I will do with the MBA and a reason for getting it - I am just saying I will stand out as I'm not a cookie cutter candidate and most programs advertise that they like diversity and a well rounded class. I did not get my degree then do four years at PriceWaterhouseCoopers before getting a 700 and going to Harvard so I can go work at McKinzey. Yes they like those people, but I think they also want some people with a more non-traditional trajectory.

Though I am on a website called GMATClub so I guess I should expect some very GMAT-centric responses. Is there an MBAClub :lol:
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 590 GMAT - Great everywhere else, where can I get in? [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2010, 22:17
I definitely agree with you on the fact that top b-schools will accept some students with less than stellar GMAT scores, and I truly hope that will be the case for you. I simply think that this is the type of response you'd get had you submitted to a real consultant on this forum. I wish you best of luck! :-D

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 15

Re: 590 GMAT - Great everywhere else, where can I get in? [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2010, 14:04
With only studying for 2 weeks and got 590, you should retake the test. You already got a strong verbal score, focus on quant and you should improve your score and have a better chance of going to your dream school. Good luck.
Re: 590 GMAT - Great everywhere else, where can I get in?   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2010, 14:04