Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 05:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

590- Looking for motivation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

590- Looking for motivation [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 11:04
I took GMAT for the first time today and scored a 590 (Q-34, V-37)...and then created an account with GMAT Club (wish I had done this sooner.) I'm not happy with my score, but I'm also not surprised. I took the Kaplan classroom prep course and left feeling confident that 700 or high 600's was in reach. After 3 months of studying, my CAT score did not improve much and varied from test to test. While I didn't feel like I was going to miraculously pull out a 700 today, I did feel like after so much studying I needed to just take it and see what happened. Now I know and I now I need to retake.

I've read quite a few posts today about retaking, but wanted to post my own topic since I am new to the forum. I'm looking for motivation to retake, tips, strategies, etc. While my scores are relatively balance, I definitely feel my weakness is in quant. I spent most of my time focused on that math and did very little verbal prep. I'm thinking about a math basics review and would love any recommendations on the best resources.

ANY insights, recommendations or kind words are welcome!

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: 590- Looking for motivation [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 15:56
Hi Rosie 2012!

I also scored 590 last November and preparing again! I'm sure with right prep material and strategic study, we will cross the 700 hurdle!

What all prep books you are using? Did you take any other mock tests than Kaplan? 590 is really humble score, you need to figure out your strengths and weaknesses. Rather than saying you find quants tough, try to analyze your test scores and find out what part of quants is tougher for you. Since you have taken classroom course, GMAT is not new for you. So this time make a solid plan of what you will do different than last attempt. Make sure you stick to the plan!

Good luck!
Affiliations: IIT Alumni Association, ISB Alumni Association
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 27

Re: 590- Looking for motivation [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2012, 19:49
Rosie

You could find this thread on Retake Stategies pretty helpful: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Also, do have a look at this thread that contains information about free GMAT tests, study plans and basically, everything that you need to start your GMAT Prep: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

Do let us know if you have any specific questions.

All the best!

A KUDO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY

Introducing Best Debrief Writer & Contributor of the Month!: introducing-best-debrief-writer-contributor-of-the-month-127355.html
My GMAT debrief: gmat-760-50-q-42-v-satisfied-124675.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: 590- Looking for motivation [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 21:07
I agree. I was in the same boat and recently scored 750.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: 590- Looking for motivation [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 21:37
Hi Rosie,I took up studies after long gap (longer than usual), read through forum tips, spoke to people known, decided on MGMAT online class. thought I won the battle by taking the most reliable and successful course. But to my dismay, it did not happen that way. half way through my course i realized, i need to take up things myself and not bank on live classes. now that is what i am doing. after wasting about 2-3 months in that course. now i am self studying focusing only on the strategy guides of MGMAT and my own study plan. how is it helping?? cos now i understand my own competencies and weaknesses and deliberately working on those. I made mistake of banking on a generic course. wasted long time in that. but now i am more clear on the drive. preparing for may this year, and i am very confidant of getting there. u have still got a hang of the exam, i am only into basics currently, preps online will follow soon hopefully by this month end (will post in my thread)...all i intend to do is "not look back" and i see "the hill above"....

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2159

Kudos [?]: 7592 [0], given: 3624

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 590- Looking for motivation [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 21:52
Expert's post
How long were you studying? You took a Kaplan course and then studied some or did you take the GMAT right after the course? What were your kaplan scores?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 590- Looking for motivation [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2012, 22:20
Stay strong. With the right amount of hard work your target score should be achievable. I've seen some vast improvements on these threads (470 => 680) so anything is possible.
Re: 590- Looking for motivation   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2012, 22:20