Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

590 on GMAT Prep 1 without any studying over the past year +

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
590 on GMAT Prep 1 without any studying over the past year + [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 18:07
Hey guys. I put off the GMAT over a year ago for personal reasons.

I've recently restarted my studies and scored a 590 on my GMAT Prep 1 without any studying since last year (I forgot everything). I also did the diagnostic test and scored "average" in both Quant sections and "above average/excellent" in the Verbal sections.

Is there a number that's very realistic in terms of how much I can increase within the next 55 days? I'm setting aside roughly 15-20 hours a week. I know this question gets asked frequently but I couldn't find anything relating to GMAT Prep 1 (without any study) to Final results type threads.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to being more active on the boards and contributing where I can. Good luck this summer, everyone.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 590 on GMAT Prep 1 without any studying over the past year + [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 03:22
I think you will have more than enough time to get above 710 with the hours you plan to commit.

However I am concerned with the fact that you studied for this exam last year and did not get a high enough score aka the reason you are taking it again. Im one of those that believe one can plateau with return on score performance and hours spent studying, and the marginal benefits decrease rapidly. I'm assuming that you gave the gmat a decent shot last year which is why I am worried that you also plateau'ed last year

I recommend starting from square one, start fresh and relearning everything, even all of the old stuff you "thought" you knew. Read all of the old books and take notes.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.6
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: 590 on GMAT Prep 1 without any studying over the past year + [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 00:39
laserglare wrote:
I think you will have more than enough time to get above 710 with the hours you plan to commit.

However I am concerned with the fact that you studied for this exam last year and did not get a high enough score aka the reason you are taking it again. Im one of those that believe one can plateau with return on score performance and hours spent studying, and the marginal benefits decrease rapidly. I'm assuming that you gave the gmat a decent shot last year which is why I am worried that you also plateau'ed last year

I recommend starting from square one, start fresh and relearning everything, even all of the old stuff you "thought" you knew. Read all of the old books and take notes.

Hey, Laser. Thank you for the response.

To be honest, I didn't study very hard last year. In fact, I would imagine I only worked out 10% of the practice problems within OG12. I did spend a lot of time learning the material so I find that I'm breezing through the reading quickly. The practice problems, I've also been nailing them at 80%+ for the first few sections I've been studying. Quant is a big weakness for me so I'm excited to get deep into this section. I'm ready for business school, emotionally and physically, so I hope that my efforts will get me into the 700s.

Again, thanks for the answer. Hoping 55 days will bring me from 590 to 710+.

Don't let a low GPA destroy your dreams of a business education.

Re: 590 on GMAT Prep 1 without any studying over the past year +   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2013, 00:39