Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

590 (Q-49, V-23) - Tips needed for 700+

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

590 (Q-49, V-23) - Tips needed for 700+ [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2005, 15:29
Okey, I attempted GMAT yesterday beside being told by a friend that I should not attempt it since I am constantly scoring between 570 & 590 in all Kaplan tests. I was upset when I saw score on the final screen.

I put in 4 weeks, didn't finish OG, finished Kaplan and Kaplan 800. I was confident about quant and I did OK ( I wanted 50 and got 49). Now, for the verbal, I guess I have a psycological barrier that needs to be demolished.

I can tell I was not feeling confident when I was selecting answer choices in verbal section.

I need tips from all of you. I have just raised the bar after reading more posts. How can I crack verbal and get 49+.

I guess I need practice because according to my friend 4 weeks were less. What else I need? I am planning to get LSAT book. Please provide more suggestions.

I don't have any issue with english language! I think it was mental.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2005, 22:51
No replies :cry:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2005, 04:53
Be more realistic about verbal. If you get at least 35 on verbal your score will approach 700 ;)

Too much is not enough...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2005, 05:06
I think you should sit and figure out your weaknesses in the verbal section:

- Is it RC, SC or the arguments?

- How mentally efficient you were after the quantitative section? Maybe you didn't give your 100% in the verbal...

- Did you guess on a lot of questions in the verbal section?

- Did you finish the verbal question?

- Did you face a lot of tough questions?

Maybe, it is only a question of lack of mental preparation, or time management. You are the one who knows those answers...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2005, 12:13
Thank you guys. I am preparing again but this time I am not logging long hourse. I am taking a very different approach. I am mentally preparing myself. Today, it is one week since I took the test. I am ready to start my next attack.

The RC, SC and CR will be my focus.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 09:34
g2formba wrote:
Thank you guys. I am preparing again but this time I am not logging long hourse. I am taking a very different approach. I am mentally preparing myself. Today, it is one week since I took the test. I am ready to start my next attack.

The RC, SC and CR will be my focus.

Get an error log. For each question you get wrong, put a comment in like "conclusion", or "inference" or "logic" etc... Then you will know which one you're weak at. Your quant score could be not as ideal as you would like because everytime a conclusion question pops up, you never get it right, or a pronoun questions come up, you don't get it right etc...

Point is, find out where you are not up to scratch and polish it.

Good luck !! :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 09:49
Many advices have been given by various members who completed their GMAT and went through the same stages as you did. Read their experience in the sticky portion of this forum. Some even went from 500 to 700. You just have to practice your verbal and it is definitely within your reach. Good luck.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 20:40
What is your first language? From your original post, I am surmising it is not English. Please correct me if I'm wrong - I don't mean any offense at all. It's just that I noticed a couple of errors that are typical of people with mother tongues other than English in your OP. For example:

"beside being told by a friend" - should be "despite" not "beside"

"according to my friend 4 weeks were less" - I assume you meant "too little" or "insufficient", not "less".

Really, I'm not pointing this out to embarrass you, and I hope you won't take it that way. It's just that strategies to study for the verbal section differ greatly depending on whether or not English is your mother tongue. There are certain kinds of study tips and tricks that are specific to people who speak particular languages, so it would probably help if you were to post your linguistic background and allow people to give you advice accordingly.

(By the way, I'm not saying I know how to crack the verbal section; I'm having a tough time studying for it myself, and English is my first language. But I think I'm making different kinds of mistakes than someone who learned English as a second or third language.)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2005, 21:24
Hi,

I must have overlooked your post the first time.

1) How were you performing on the V section in your practice tests?

2) Have you taken any of the old fashioned pencil and paper GMATs?

3) How did you perform on the SAT?

Hjort
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Verbal [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 14:39
Well you rocked the quant which is fantastic news, verbal shouldn't be too bad. Besides all the usual prep work have you increased your reading? I suggest you check out the economist and pick up a few well written books, it can only help!
Verbal   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2005, 14:39