Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

590 to 650... Is it over yet? Not sure...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

590 to 650... Is it over yet? Not sure... [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 12:53
Just finished GMAT #2 yesterday - 650 (Q42/V38). Took GMAT #1 about 50 days before, and got 590.

Let me preface by stating that I consider myself just a normally intelligent person. I am definitely NOT 770 material. I know that. Can I get a 700? On a good day, maybe. But many of the scores you guys and girls are getting are simply amazing!

I studied hard for GMAT #1 for about 4 months (2-3 hours each night after work + weekends). I took the Kaplan tutor course. First time through, I only used Kaplan - barely any OG11. That was a huge mistake. Suffice to say, I was very disappointed with a score of 590.

Studying for test #2 for 50 or so days, I mainly focused on Quant with the OG11. Going into my first GMAT, I was pretty confident as i scored 640 & 660 on the GMATPreps. However, I think I was nervous on test day, and got shaken by some hard Q questions, and that carried through the entire math section.

Yesterday's test I was more prepared for. Overall, I felt that the test was very manageable. The Quant was definitely harder than in practice, but not impossible. Quant is definitely my weaker area, but I think I can do better than Q42. I had recently been scoring in the 680 range with Q47ish on MGMAT prep tests.

Here is my question for all you Gmat gurus: I know that 650 is decent score, but should I consider taking it again? I am just worried about a score decrease.

Applying to: Berkeley PT, Santa Clara PT, Kellogg (longshot - I know), (Stanford - ya I know).

Good luck to all (especially us regular guys)!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 13:19
650-590=60 that's a good progress. if you allow yourself another 50 days you will be around 720 stuff. :))

do it if you aim higher, but if your experience in ur particular field is over 2-3 years. no need for taking again.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 13:58
I dunno bout the other schools. 650 is a good score. But Stanford and Kellog are def. a long shot.

Verbal looks solid. Quant is a bit low. I've heard that Quant is more important to colleges than verbal. In fact the other day I called Emory U. to see what a college advisor thought of my score (Q47, V31). She said that the high quant def. played into my favor, but reccomended I try again for a higher verbal. (just tryin to see if Emory could be a fail safe).

Anyway not to get too far off track here. Essentially you have to decide what you really want. Are stanford and kellogg the type of schools you really want to go to??? If so, then id say give it another month or two. Its hard to stay motivated, but if you think deep and decide these are the schools you really want and you will settle for nothing less. Then go for it.

For me Emory U seems to be a bit of a stretch, but I think I could do it right now if I wanted to b/c of my GPA.

However, this isn't really what I want. Not sayin Emory is a bad school at ALL. Very good school indeed. But I really want to go to the very best of the best.

I don't know if going to harvard, stanford etc... will get me farther than say Emory or OSU etc... but its what I want so Im gunna do it.

You have to decide how much it really means to you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2007, 15:46
LAHMBA,

650 is not a bad score and there are examples where people got into Ivy League schools with even 590 which is also your previous score.

However you need to have an extremely compelling application otherwise and strong reasons to justify a low score.

Most of people here will tell you that GMAT is just one part of application but this is ONE and ONLY part which can be quickly improved then why compromise on a low GMAT score when it can quickly boost your application and your chances of acceptance.

I would encourage you to look at possibility of taking your score to a 700+ mark to be more competitive.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 08:00
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have decided to jump back into the ring one more time to shoot for the 700 (while starting my applications).

Obviously the Quant is my weakness. Do you guys have any suggestions as far as studying for Q? I have made Q47 in practice tests, so I know I can improve. Any thoughts or suggestions on focus points to get into the high 40s in Q?

GMATBLACKBELT - good luck to you. I am sure that you will improve your score.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2007, 09:48
financeguy wrote:
LAHMBA,

650 is not a bad score and there are examples where people got into Ivy League schools with even 590 which is also your previous score.

However you need to have an extremely compelling application otherwise and strong reasons to justify a low score.

Most of people here will tell you that GMAT is just one part of application but this is ONE and ONLY part which can be quickly improved then why compromise on a low GMAT score when it can quickly boost your application and your chances of acceptance.

I would encourage you to look at possibility of taking your score to a 700+ mark to be more competitive.

Thanks

Good suggestion....

- Brajesh
  [#permalink] 06 Oct 2007, 09:48