Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

6 Days Away from GMAT Exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

6 Days Away from GMAT Exam [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 20:47
Hey everyone,

I've been a long time reader of this forum and I was hoping that you all could help. I started studying the GMAT three months ago after I graduated college. Being unemployed, I devoted most of my time primarily studying for the GMAT, studying for the CFA in December, networking with professionals and applying to jobs. I've logged in about 120 hours into studying the GMAT. I have all eight MGMAT books for reference, a ton of supplements, and I'm subscribed to the GMAT questions of the day.

My very first GMAT prep exam back in June was a 530 (42/21) with a 4 in IR. I took the free MGMAT CAT two days ago and I scored a 680 (47/35) with a 4 in IR. But now I feel like I hit a giant roadblock. The second exam burned the heck out of me. When I reviewed the exam, some of the questions that I got correct in the quant became foreign to me again. Not only that, I ran out of time and guess on the last 5 problems, and with tremendous luck, I guessed 2 of those correct. In looking at my statistics, I can spend six minutes on a 600-700 quant question and get wrong but I can spend a minute and a half on a 700-800 and get it right.

CR problems are a bit tough for me too. I've tried the diagramming tactic and did this to all of the problems in the OG. No improvement. My SC skill set that I honed daily deteriorated (I've heard that it was important to do it everyday, but I slacked off at the end). However, RC problems are a blast for me now. Reading and diagramming the passages helped me tremendously and surprisingly, I enjoy the long passages than the short passages since the short passage questions are more detailed.

But I feel like I've hit a giant brick wall. The 680 I felt like it was a giant fluke. I have no idea how I got such a score. Do you guys have any advice or suggestions on what I could do the next 6 days until the exam? Some say that because I am Asian, I almost need a 760 to be a competitive pick for the top b-schools. Any advice would be totally appreciated!

Thanks.
Dave
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 78

Premium Member
Re: 6 Days Away from GMAT Exam [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 22:05
This post received
KUDOS
You can't make more than marginal movement in 6 days. If you're that anxious, you should reschedule. Or, since it might be impossible to get your money back, take the test and use it as a diagnostic to figure out where you're really at, knowing that you'll take it again in a certain amount of time. Figuring that it might take about 2 months per 100 points of improvement.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: 6 Days Away from GMAT Exam [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 23:23
I think you may need more time and more importantly MGMAT has just released their recalibration of test scores. So i guess you should deduct 20 points of your MGMAT test score then. Take the second GMAT Prep exam and see where you are.

mgmat-recalibration-of-cat-scoring-138195.html
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: 6 Days Away from GMAT Exam [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 05:49
Hi Dave,

Don't worry... just give the exam. there is no point in not giving the exam since you are a day late. Plus, GMAT is like a one day cricket match, no matter how good or bad your past performance has been...it is how you play your shots during the final that matter.

Don't worry about 760 + score requirement. It is a part of the myth. Think of the things that are in your hand. don't take too much stress, just revise the questions everyday, and go and give the exam.. I am sure you will do well.. and one advice, just a few days before the exam, DON'T spend time in reading forums...it will harm you more than help. Go for evening walks rather than seeking advice in forums just before the exam.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 6 Days Away from GMAT Exam [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 19:23
Thank you all for the advice... I hope to keep my head up for now.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: 6 Days Away from GMAT Exam [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 00:24
Gmta is exam is held on which time.
Re: 6 Days Away from GMAT Exam   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2012, 00:24