Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

6 Days Left... Any Advice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

6 Days Left... Any Advice? [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 12:36
Hi All,

I'm taking my test next Friday (12/21), so I have about 6 days left to prepare. I will be taking off a majority of next week to continue to study. Anyway, I've been working off and on for the past few months and have taken 3 practice tests and my score has gone up a bunch in that time (from 440 to 590), but I'm really aiming for the 650 range.

Any advice or suggestions on what I should focus on to boost my score prior to the test?

My last score split was Q39/V32. I don't have any real strengths or weaknesses in Quant... Just not very good in it overall! For Verbal, I do well in RC, but not so well in SC & CR.

I've been mainly working with OG11 and Manhattan GMAT.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2007, 17:51
I am not an expert to advice; but can give my 2 cents..
Since you have 6 days left, do not do 1000s sets.

You did not mention what tests you have taken, whether they are MGMAT or GMATPrep. If they are not GMATPrep, do one test. But, since you are below your target and have less time, do not do 2nd one as there are no explanaitons for GMATPrep.

39Q and 32V seems you are okay at fundamentals, but perhaps lacking at how to apply the concepts together.

First 4 days : what's your weakest area, SC,CR,RC,PS, or DS? try to practice questions in this area which have explanaitons, understand the concepts from explanations. May be you are missing how to tackle with RC. Again, do not do the ones which do not have explanations, as you will not know how to solve them and you dont have time to post here and wait for responses. Can somebody post here which problems he needs to work on to improve from 590 to 650, whether MGMAT Qs, Kaplan Qs or anything else? I am exactly not sure what books he needs for 600-650 level

Last two days: You better review all your mistakes, fundamentals in last two days, if two days are enough to review them (you know better about your mistakes).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 08:04
sarangadhar wrote:

You did not mention what tests you have taken, whether they are MGMAT or GMATPrep. If they are not GMATPrep, do one test. But, since you are below your target and have less time, do not do 2nd one as there are no explanaitons for GMATPrep.

39Q and 32V seems you are okay at fundamentals, but perhaps lacking at how to apply the concepts together.

First 4 days : what's your weakest area, SC,CR,RC,PS, or DS? try to practice questions in this area which have explanaitons, understand the concepts from explanations. May be you are missing how to tackle with RC. Again, do not do the ones which do not have explanations, as you will not know how to solve them and you dont have time to post here and wait for responses. Can somebody post here which problems he needs to work on to improve from 590 to 650, whether MGMAT Qs, Kaplan Qs or anything else? I am exactly not sure what books he needs for 600-650 level

Last two days: You better review all your mistakes, fundamentals in last two days, if two days are enough to review them (you know better about your mistakes).

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply... The tests I've taken have been MGMAT. I have not done the GMATPrep tests yet. Are they a better indicator of score than MGMAT?

As for what I'm missing in Quant, it' seems to be a pretty even distribution between PS & DS. There's no one particular area, but I do seem to get all of the easier (questions 500 to 600 and 600 to 700), but miss the vast majority of the 700 to 800 questions.

I have been studying ONLY MGMAT and OG11, but I do have the Kaplan and Princeton Review boooks.

Any other advice you or anyone else could share would be great.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2007, 09:00
McCombs_Hopeful wrote:
sarangadhar wrote:

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply... The tests I've taken have been MGMAT. I have not done the GMATPrep tests yet. Are they a better indicator of score than MGMAT?

As for what I'm missing in Quant, it' seems to be a pretty even distribution between PS & DS. There's no one particular area, but I do seem to get all of the easier (questions 500 to 600 and 600 to 700), but miss the vast majority of the 700 to 800 questions.

I have been studying ONLY MGMAT and OG11, but I do have the Kaplan and Princeton Review boooks.

Any other advice you or anyone else could share would be great.

Thanks

MGMAT are somewhat tougher than real GMAT, hence you might not be less than your target.

even distribution in quant : then, little bit of lacking in applying the concepts.. might need some more practice to improve the score.. then review your error log.. From the types of questions that went wrong, do some more practice in that area. you can pick OG11 for problems, if you have not completed it. If the types of quesion went wrong were in all types of quesitons, then practice chunks of questions in all areas.

I heard princeton will have basics, but not sure whether this is right time to study that. Generally, everybody will start the preperation with princeton. Surely dont touch Kaplan now, it is a way beyond the real GMAT. Dont be afraid now just because you missed princeton.

what about verbal weak area? do GMAT prep 1st test today, this is the nearest representative of real GMAT of all tests available.

From the type of questions that went wrongin GMATprep test, do some more practice.

Again - can anybody post which book will be better for the 600-650 score range, with 3-4 days left for practice?

if you dont get any reponse for above question, work on OG11.
  [#permalink] 17 Dec 2007, 09:00