Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

6 Weeks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

6 Weeks [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 05:54
I have six weeks to study (just wrote CFA level 2) little burnout but work is kind of slow right now.
I dont want to come on here and just say please advise at all (can't stand that).
Just bought the new OG book and will go through that starting later this week. I realize the crossover between the CFA exams and GMAT is basically 0, except for sitting in one spot and doing an exam for a long period of time will come a little easier.

I would like to hear other short term strategies from people (is six weeks a ST approach even?). I am a native speaker with an economics major (I realize this math is different, but I was doing math while at school, never really struggled with it)

Sentence correction looks to be where I will struggle.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9451 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 6 Weeks [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 08:54
Expert's post
Before you dive into it, why don't you download GMATPrep and see how your score looks right now.

Based on your background, Math should not be an issue. You can probably master it with OG, though it does not provide strategies or much of concepts/formulas behind the problems. Since you have just 6 weeks, you may want to grab Kaplan math Workbook- you should be able to go through it in 2 weeks and get a more comprehensive coverage than from OG

Then you can get PowerScore CR book and Manhattan SC and Manhattan RC books though since time is short, perhaps PowerScore Verbal Bible will be a better choice - it is still a 450+ page book but it is shorter than those 3 combined.

The manhattan book will come with 6 tests (there is a code in the book that you enter online) Spend the last week or two taking the tests.
This assumes you want a 700+ score and have good foundation in Math and Verbal. If you need less, then you can chop things here and there. If more then it is a slightly different and longer story. Take the diagnostic test (GMATPrep) and see how you do. maybe you already have 700 :)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: 6 Weeks [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 08:59
As a CFA charterholder, I had to laugh when I read your post. I remember the week after each exam, I was so hyped up on studying so much that my brain was looking for work. (BTW, I took on Mandarin for about a week after L2...)

Benefit of just taken L2 is that you are in great mental shape....you just studied several months intensively and sat through one of the nastiest 6 hours that the mind can take.

I would take a GMATPrep to guage your strengths/weaknesses..then get ahold of MGMAT stuff and the OGS..and spend the next 1-2 months on that. Then, as with the CFA exam, start taking simulated CATS the last month.

But I would try to get the GMAT done before mid-August "if" you cannot deal with the possibility of a L2 failure....that negativity could set your GMAT prep back. Good luck.
Re: 6 Weeks   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2009, 08:59