Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

6 weeks of "full time" prep enough?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
6 weeks of "full time" prep enough? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 04:07
I briefly started studying for the GMAT but have been so busy at work that I haven't made much progress. Luckily, I'm starting a new job soon and will have slightly less than 6 weeks in between. It would be really nice not to deal with GMAT after starting this new job but is 6 weeks enough to prepare? Since I won't be working I can commit ~8 hours a day studying.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 943 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 6 weeks of "full time" prep enough? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 05:00
This all depends upon you.

Go to mba.com get familiar with the Gmat structure.
Then download gmatprep from mba.com and give one exam on the stretch.
After the test analyze your performance on both quant and verbal. Note down the areas in which you are strong and in which you are weak.

You should have a target, which might depend upon the level of school i.e. 600+ or 650+ or 700+. Then start working on your weak areas and nourishing your strong ones.

Now it all depends upon you to fill the gap of present stage and the target one. Some have strong verbal but poor quant and vice versa. So the total time only depends upon YOU....so before thinking of anything else:
1. go to mba.com and download gmatprep.
2. give the exam.
3. note down your weak/strong areas.
4. decide your schools( gmat score you looking for)
5. come back here mods/admins can better suggest you further.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: 6 weeks of "full time" prep enough? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 11:11
i think it should be enough if you are really studying 8 hours a day. typically most people study 3-4 months part-time. i wish i had 6 weeks free to just study and get it over with!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: 6 weeks of "full time" prep enough? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 19:05
It will be a different experience for everyone depending on where you are at now vs. where you need to be for the test/what score you are aiming for. One of the diagnostic test will help you get on your way...

What I can offer from my experience is that once I got fairly comfortable with the material, I lost interest in pushing hard and had a bit of burn out before the exam. The questions were starting to blur together, I was rushing to get through my preparation for the day, making silly mistakes, etc. All in I spent about 6 weeks studying 2 to 3 hours a day after work and all weekend. Studying 8 hours a day for 6 weeks may start to drive you crazy - make sure to stay sharp and take some time to enjoy yourself when you feel the fatigue coming on.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: 6 weeks of "full time" prep enough? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 20:53
I think with 8 hrs a day, you should be fine. (If you commit to your schedule)

However, a lot depends on your target score and how effective you use that 8 hrs.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stern | Tepper | IESE | CEIBS | Anywhere that takes me!
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: 6 weeks of "full time" prep enough? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 02:18
I have never studied full time, but to be honest, 8 hrs a day for 6 weeks seems extremely strenuous to me. Make sure you don't wear and burn yourself out too much before the actual test...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE: Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: 6 weeks of "full time" prep enough? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 03:44
Thanks guys, all great advice. I agree that being effective is more important than time spent. Studying 8 hours a day may not be the best method, but it's good to know that at least I have 8 hours available. Kudos to all of you that achieved your target score while having a full-time job - I tried it for the last couple of months (not very hard though - just studying here and there) and it's so difficult to be disciplined.

Will keep you guys updated on how the plan goes. I think it also depends on the person. For me I was always the one that didn't really go to class and started studying 2 days before every exam (usually 12+ hours a day) but that worked for me. I know you can't cram for the GMAT, but I'm used to studying long days and not minding it.
Re: 6 weeks of "full time" prep enough?   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2010, 03:44