Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

600, 600, 600 - What is going on? Advice please.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

600, 600, 600 - What is going on? Advice please. [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2003, 13:36
I first decided I wanted to pursue an MBA about 3 years ago. So I took the GMAT in Sept of 2000. Admittedly, I didn't study much but I got a 600; 31 math and 41 verbal. After that I brushed up a bit on the math skills and took it again in Nov of that same year. I got a 580, 28 math and 41 verbal. The low scores and other factors led me to shelve the whole b-school thing for a while.

Now I've been preparing for the GMAT hard-core for the past year. I took a Princeton review course, learned their gmat tricks inside and out, and then took it again this past September. Guess what? 600. 33 math, 39 verbal. Argggg! So I took another course and studied intensily. Now I'm getting standard deviations and insane probabilty questions on my practice tests. I able to answer a good half of the 800-level questions that PR publishes. I go and take the gmat again yesterday. And...600!!! 36 math, 36 verbal.

At this point I'm going insane. Apparently the more I study 'the more worser my english does get'. My math skill has improved greatly. I do feel that I have a much better fundamental understanding of math than ever before. So I take some small pleasure in that score increasing but obviously I would prefer a higher cumulative score. Plus no matter how much I understand the subject I can only complete @ 20-23 questions in the math section.

Does anyone have any advice? :cry:
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

reply [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2003, 14:43
Santier,

you mention that you could only complete 20-23 Math questions, so does that mean you left the rest of the questions blank??? If so, that will really really hurt your scores :cry:

I also like to commend you for your perseverance :) I think sometimes what makes a 600 to a 800 test taker might be that the 800 test taker is more cautious of the ETS tricks.... have you tried Kaplan books? They have the 800 Gmat, which I find it helpful and also practice on the Original Guide that ETS published.

Actually most schools would accept 600 , but if you want to get scholarship, then you may need higher scores....with 600, I believe you are able to be admitted to a pretty good grad school. Perhaps you are can talk to an admission advisor from the school that you want to apply, ask them if 600 GMAT scores is what they expect from an applicant. Grad schools look @ everything too like your work experience, GPA and personal essays...

Well,I hope for the best for you :) All the best!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2003, 22:29
Santier...don't give up yet! First, ditch Princeton Review. I took the prep course and only improved 20 points from my written diagnostic. Plus, their Reading Comprehension techniques are pathetic.

Go out and buy Kaplan's GMAT 2004 w/CD-ROM. Also, get the Official GMAT Guide, if you don't have it yet.

Follow Kaplan's computerized lesson plan and supplement each computer lesson by doing questions from the Official Guide. Make sure you spend a lot of time reading and understanding solutions from the Official Guide. Try and do all questions if possible, but mix them up during your study plan.

When you say you're studying a lot, how much are you studying? I found 30 hrs/week appropriate for about 5 weeks leading up to the exam.
If you have more time than 5 weeks, start reading well-written novels for pleasure. It WILL improve your verbal score.

Good luck & don't give up! I know someone who's taken the GMAT 4 times and gotten into a top-5 school.
  [#permalink] 21 Nov 2003, 22:29