Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

600 blah...what I think I did wrong

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
600 blah...what I think I did wrong [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 17:57
This post received
KUDOS
I sat for my GMAT yesterday and received a 600 :(. To look on the bright side it's better than where I could have been and now I have a lot more to learn.

My journey began about a month ago. At the end of January, I sat for my first practice test: 460 (felt disgusted). I began researching if the GMAT was going to be easy to learn...found out it wasn't. I browsed through GMATCLUB and found some great articles, debriefs and book reviews. I got the ManhattanGMAT books and the OG 12 and was ready to tackle the GMAT down. I went through number properties which was great! I took down notes, solved all of the problems, and put anything I couldn't remember down on a flash card. I read on here that SC was easy to learn so I tackled it in the same manner. However, as time started winding down, I skimmed through the rest of the books and the Powerscore critical reasoning bible, just jotting down notes, not doing many problems or completely understanding. With the limited time I had, I didn't review my notes/flashcards too much. I think this is where I may have started gone wrong.

In addition, I didn't do all of the OG problems, while I'm sure its not necessary to do them all, I completed the entire set for sentence correction and saw that part of my arsenal shot through the roof. I only did about 65% PS, 45% DS, 40% CR, and 50% RC. I reviewed all of my problems, both right and wrong, but I don't know if the concepts stuck with me. In addition, I forgot about gmatclub until my last week of study, and was late in finding a lot of great math articles and tests. However, my low score was somewhat surprising given my scores leading up to the exam. There was A LOT of fluctuation.
EDIT: I used an error log and notes such as spidey's sc notes, slingfox notes, beatthegmat flashcards, target 760 notes, chineseburned AWA guide, etc.

GMATPREP 1 (end of February): 460 (no practice done)
Manhattan(03/11/11): 590 (was happy I was getting better, but upset I didn't get past 600)
Manhattan(03/18/11): 650!!!!
GMAT Prep2 (03/20/11): 580 (wtf??)
GMAT Prep1 again (03/21/11): 680 (I think 9 questions I got were the same)

I'm planning to give myself another 2-4 months to study. I want to post 700 results before I take the actual exam. Can anyone offer any advice given my condition?

i have:
OG 12
All of the manhattangmat books excluding math foundations
Powerscore critical reasoning (my weakest section)

Thanks for any tips and I hope I can post a 700 result soon!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 122 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: 600 blah...what I think I did wrong [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 19:49
Your study method sounds good :) But I think you should have given it a little more time. Before your next attempt, try and finish all the problems in the OG!

P.S.
Do the remaining CATs from Manhattan and use the Generate Assessment Report feature to zero in on your weaknesses ;)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2158

Kudos [?]: 7576 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 600 blah...what I think I did wrong [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 20:47
Expert's post

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: 600 blah...what I think I did wrong [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2011, 17:31
This post received
KUDOS
I got my score report today and realized I never put up my split...not that its worthy or anything

34v..39Q...5.5 AWA (thanks chineseburned)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 55

GMAT Tests User
Re: 600 blah...what I think I did wrong [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
menacel wrote:
I got my score report today and realized I never put up my split...not that its worthy or anything

34v..39Q...5.5 AWA (thanks chineseburned)

Don't be so down on yourself, some people here would kill for a 600 score, you are already above average, once you get over this hump, you're just a hop skip and a jump away from a 700 :)

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Re: 600 blah...what I think I did wrong   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2011, 06:54