Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

600 (Q:37; V:34)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

600 (Q:37; V:34) [#permalink] New post 08 May 2003, 13:54
Hey all,

Finished my second try at the GMAt - got a 600, up from 480 on the first try, which was back in mid Feb this year.

Should I keep trying? I feel I have the momentum but not sure how much more of an effort to get to 700.

Also, I'm originally a non-business major with a 3.7 GPA - I consider myself relatively 'well balanced' so perhaps that may be a plus for me. I'd like to apply to Hass (UC Berekely) but am very happy with getting into a non-top 30 school. Not sure if I should go for a third try, but I wanted to get any opinions or feedback from those of you who have improved or have repeated the test more than twice. Is it possible? Does my improvement indicate there's some gas left for a possible 700?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Momentum [#permalink] New post 09 May 2003, 05:46
Hi there,

480 to a 600 is an excellent jump concgrats :D !!
If you have other solid skills (work exp, recommendations etc..) you should be a solid candidate for admission to a good school.

As for taking the GMAT again if I were you I would take some time off and look at your weaknesses and realistically consider whether or not you want to go through the GMAT again.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 May 2003, 23:37
Dear Oceanic, I do agree with Eli that you should take sometime to think where you are lacking. I think you did wonderful on your verbal, but quant has a great room for improvement. And thats where most of the candidates improve. Another 10 on scaled scores will improve your score to another 80 points and i guess that would be enough for any good school. do the verbal practice every couple of days inorder not to loose the knack, and work your way from the begining in quant. Kaplan is a good stuff, i practiced it a lot, but was unable to reach the point in actual GMAT where i get questions of that quality. My quant was 45(78%). lot of DS questions. It is very important to realize in both sections where you stand. If one practice from the material which does not represent the actual level then the score will go down. I think you practice from kaplan book GRE/GMAT math work book, and then do ETS original questions and then kaplan. I assure you that it would be helpful. I screwed up in verbal great time. very low score. i wish i had the same score as yours, but being an international student my idioms and reading is v.bad. Try to put yourself toghether for quant and go in about a month. But dont loose your tempo. it is quiet imp.
and remember me in your good wishes. i need that. my score was quiet low. and almost same for the third time. Dont loose your third chance because then schools will not consider more than three, i guess.
ok bye
Intern
Intern

thank you [#permalink] New post 16 May 2003, 06:44
Thanks everyone - you've been VERY helpful. I'd resigned to the fact that, since I'm a non-engineering non math-based major, I may not be able to pull this off. I just might give it a shot. What supplemental math books aside for OG, Kaplan 2003, would ou all reccommend?

One more question - I'm a litlte older (33) with appx. 8 years of full time experience. Do you think this is a disadvantage for a school like Haas? I plan on applying to the full time program for fall of 2004.

Also, does anyone know how USF fares in terms of return of investment, or even SFSU?
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9427 [0], given: 3699

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: thank you [#permalink] New post 26 May 2003, 21:00
Expert's post
oceanic5446 wrote:
Thanks everyone - you've been VERY helpful. I'd resigned to the fact that, since I'm a non-engineering non math-based major, I may not be able to pull this off. I just might give it a shot. What supplemental math books aside for OG, Kaplan 2003, would ou all reccommend?

One more question - I'm a litlte older (33) with appx. 8 years of full time experience. Do you think this is a disadvantage for a school like Haas? I plan on applying to the full time program for fall of 2004.

Also, does anyone know how USF fares in terms of return of investment, or even SFSU?

Unless there are three million wiht 6+ years of experience applying, you should be good. Well, you would be in if I were the chair on the committee :wink: but I am not. It sort of depends on class composition; if a bunch of youngsters applied and you - you are on top; if it is the opposite way around - they are. Diversity is still a huge factor.

I am useless about SF stuff. :oops: I know nothing.
Re: thank you   [#permalink] 26 May 2003, 21:00