Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

600 to 690 (Q47, V38) - The end of the GMAT journey!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 14:21
Today was a disaster, took the first MGMAT and got my behind handed back to me.

MGMAT#1: 630 (Q43, V33)

Quant misses: 20 misses (10 in a row, towards the end.) More on this later.
Verbal: 19 misses. (6 each in SC & RC, 7 in CRs.)

Q: Started of slow on quant, and a few problems in the middle took away a lot of my time, around 20 mins on 5-6 problems...this made me panic towards the end. At some point I was left with about 20 problems with 24 mins left. Normally, I do quant problems under a min and ½, with about 92% hit rate. But this test brought me down to earth.

V: I knew that I had already messed up quant, so never had the fire to get things 'right.' I finished the verbal section, with 15 mins to spare, and that pretty much sums it up.

Lessons learned: Pace yourself!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2009, 21:29
Sometimes it is a real frustration to see a score much lower than your target score. But I would suggest NOT to get over thrown with the lower score. Many say that MGMAT is much harder than GMAT(especially in Quant). So don't get crarried away with lower quant. Do consider MGMAT CATs as a practice CATs, go thru their explanations for every answer. You will learn a lot of tips on how to solve similar type of questions.

One other thing to mention - (but not to discourage you) is that you might be scoring good scores in GMATPrep. But there can be many factors contributing to it - couple of hard questions might already have been solved by you, you already know the explanations for some of the questions by going thru the explanations in the forums - so it was easy to pick up the ans, and also the exam environment setup that you had such as are you frequently taking breaks, did you do the whole exam following perfect timings etc. If any of these are happening, then better don't get carried away that you are fully preparaed for the exam.

So I would suggest, MGMAT CATs are good predictors(assuming there is +/- 50 deviation) to find all your weak areas that you can improve in the coming days.

Happy preparation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 10:56
Hi Msmarthi, Thanks for the feedback.

No, that score didn't really discouraged me that much. To be very honest I think deserved it, specially for the quant section I underestimated it. The problems weren't too difficult, but my time-management was. So far pacing has never been an issue with me, specially in quant...so I was just tagging along, then all of a sudden I realise that I have only 24 mins for 20 problems, and that pretty much ended my test right there.

Regarding the GMATPrep test, when I re-took the #1 I decided that I will penalize myself 2 mins for every repeat problem I see. And in the test I had very few, like 2-3 in each section...and I still missed all the repeats but one.

Anyways, as you have suggested I do plan on taking the MGMATs more as a 'learning' experience than for actual scoring. I'm going to save the GMATPrep 2 for that, which I plan to do along with the AWA probably 2 days before the real test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 13:03
Jivana,

For me as too....normally for GMATPrep my timing is good in Quant but for MGMAT CAT, my timing is real bad. I think some of the questions especially above 700 level are pretty lengthy and time consuming. But my personal opinion is if we are above 45 in Quant for MGMAT CAT,we can easily expect 48 - 49 +.

A small question. Why do you want to take GMATPrep just 2 days before the exam. Unnecessarily burning your energy right before the D-Day. It is always good to take the GMATPrep as many times as possible - atleast 2 times. My personal experience is even in your second attempt you don't see that many repeats and is a good practice.

Good luck with your preparation and exam.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 13:27
I agree.

I know that I still have some weaknesses on quant, but even with those, I can still score a 47-48, and possibly a 49-50 on a 'good day'. For me, at least, at this point I do not see much ROI on Quant. Even if I dedicate all my efforts into Quant the maximum upside is only 3-4 points on the raw scale, translating to a difference of 20-30 points in the overall score.

My verbal range is approximately around 30-35. Now, if I can push this pass 40 then we are really in business. So for the next two weeks, my plan is to focus primarily on verbal (90%), and quant (10%).

In the two weeks left, I plan on taking only about 4 CATS, 2 without the AWAs, and the last two with AWAs. I guess, I can do 2 MGMATs and 2 GMATPrep, with the last one being a repeat.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 13:40
Wow....so more or less both of us are sailing on the same boat. Even my verbal is in the lower 30 and I really want to bring it to upper 30's.

Struggling hard to achieve this. :( Realised that Verbal is NOT a piece of cake for Non - Native English speaking people. :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 13:53
Yeah, it is tough. If we were looking for a score in the 600 range or so, we should be able to pull it off easily, just based on our quant. But trying to transition from a 600+ to a 700+ is sure pushing us to the edge, and then some.

Sometimes, I feel that the test is a bit biased against quant. I mean, you can miss 9-10 problems in quant and still pull off a 48-50, but you miss even 4-5, and you can kiss that verbal 40+ goodbye.

But it is what it is...we just gotta make sure that we give it our best shot....and then let it be! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 17:47
MGMAT#2: 680 (Q51, V33)

Quant
12 misses - only 5 below the 700-800 range. 4-5 problems were repeats or seen before. Finished with 6 mins to spare.

Verbal
  • CR: 5 correct - 9 misses.
  • RC: 5 correct - 7 misses.
  • SC: 11 correct - 4 misses.

I still need to review the test, but at this point it seems like I got a lot of work to do on verbal. :(
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 20:28
Jivana,

Although the MGMAT scores are oftentimes not reliable, i've found that if anything they're low. it's great that you've mastered Quant on the MGMAT - it's generally agreed that the MGMAT quant is more difficult than the actual test.

besides the materials you posted on the last page, are you doing anything else to prepare for the RC? Reading daily will help you gain more familiarity with reading comp - if you're not doing so already, try reading for at least 45 mins a day and taking notes for yourself about what the main idea of the passage is, the author's tone, and 2-3 important details. Try and read from a variety of different sources - news (CNN, NY Times, etc), and also business passages. A good place to start might be the HBS News twitter feed. they update it daily with links to several relevant news pieces: http://twitter.com/HBSNEWS. just click the links to open the new articles.

from your posts, it seems like you already have a firm grasp on the english language. How are you doing with timing on verbal? Are you struggling to finish? Do you have to guess through the last few?

I think if you were to take the GMAT today, you'd probably get in the upwards of 650-700. With another couple of weeks left, I think you stand a great shot at breaking 700, especially with your high Quant score.

good luck

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 07:08
Hi Shadowsjc, Thanks for the feedback and encouraging words, I appreciate it.

Even though I was pretty excited to see a 51 on the MGMAT, I wouldn't go as far as saying that I have mastered it. I mean I am pretty good at it but still have some weaknesses. However, I'm comfortable with it.

For RC, I practice using the OG, but I think I will take up on your idea of reading those online articles. Overall, I have done quiet a bit of reading, so reading lengthy passages is not the main thing that bothers me. With RC the problem I face is that most of my misses have been very close calls.

Timing on verbal is not bad, but on the 2nd MGMAT, I went too fast and finished like 6 mins too early. I think if I had given myself a little more time to work with, I could have done at least 2-3 points better.

Now, my goal is to pace verbal a little easier. I gotta start getting the close-calls right.

BTW. I love your verbal score! :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 11:17
Wow....Quant 51 and that too in MGMAT.....I think you are well on track for Quant.....Hope to see the same score in the real one. :)

If you can bring the verbal to a atleast to a 35+ you should reach the magical number of 700 +
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 12:57
I don't know if MGMAT's verbal is all that accurate. When I did other practice tests including the official GMAT prep and OG questions I found that I did pretty well in verbal, much better than in the Quant.

However when I took the MGMAT practice test I got much lower in Verbal than in Quant. I think they're SC are challening and the guide covers basically everything you might be tested on in the grammar section, I feel that their RC and CR are not reflective of the real GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 06:08
Thanks Msmarthi, my goal is to push it close to 40. I think I am good for it, but then it all boils down to execution. I will take a 51/40 any day! :-D

Hi 11MBA,

I think MGMAT is still a good CAT to work with, but the mindset gotta be right. It is very good for learning, but not an appropriate tool to predict GMAT scores. In the last test, I noticed that for some problems which I solved correctly, in quant, I took about 2 mins or so, but using a different approach it could have been done under a min. So I did take away something that was new to me.

With respect to verbal, I will say it's definitely not close to anything GMAT dishes out. For example, on GMAT you can discard 2 or 3 bad choices pretty quickly, at least on SC. Whereas, on MGMAT, for the 700+ questions it's very tricky, at max you can discard only 1, maybe 2...then you have to get into the details, so on and so forth.

However, I still like it, as it tests your knowledge, you cannot go by how it sounds to your 'ear'. For non-native speakers like me, it's a must to sort out the basics.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 07:17
I really wish and hope to see the score that you are targetting......When are you planning to take the real test?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 07:39
Ten days till G-day, or as most call it, Ten days till D-Day!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 20:11
Update: Just finished the 100th SC problem from OG10. Missed 17, but what bothers me most is the breakdown of the difficulty level, for the misses:

Easy: 10
Medium: 4
Hard: 3! :) :(

I don't know what to make of this? :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 21:17
Positive thing is that your's is 87% hit rate which in my opinion is pretty decent once on SC. I think the mistakes should be easily correctable otherwise it is going to be disastrous. If you make many mistakes in the easy level, then you will never see the tougher ones that you answer and these are what will bring your score high.

For me 81 - 100 were the toughest batch with 8 misses out of 20.

Last edited by mrsmarthi on 23 Oct 2009, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Schools: IIM Lucknow (IPMX) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 23:35
Great going buddy....I think you are up to the challenge...just need to avoid careless errors for those 'easy' ones...:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 08:18
Msmarthi, was the 81-100 set you worked on, from OG10?

Economist, I sure hope so, let's see how the next week goes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ??? [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 09:04
Jivana wrote:
Msmarthi, was the 81-100 set you worked on, from OG10?

Yes......from OG 10.
Re: The GMAT journey - From 600+ to ???   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2009, 09:04