Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [235]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 797 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-22-2013
GPA: 3.57
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: 600 to 740 - all about Timing and Fundamentals [#permalink]
Congrats! I may actually try a similar timing strategy when I take the GMAT, given Bunuel's analysis
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
Thats great!! let me know how it goes. When is your gmat!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
hi manish,
the strategy for first 10 questions worked on your mgmat mocks?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
Solid score, Manish bhai! Good luck with the next hurdle - applications.

Hope you are able to share a similar debrief on the multiple admits you get.
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Congratulations on the excellent performance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Send PM
Sorry folks.. for the lack of response. I was in two minds whether to apply in the last round. finally decided not to apply in the last round.

Dear Sameet what do schools look for scholarships. What role does the GMAT score play.
@sachin - I did not apply the strategy on very many MGMAT mocks. I dont remember how well it worked.
@BM - How is the experience at HEC.How is the job market in Europe. Do you have to learn French. Did they give you a fellowship. Sorry about so many questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi Manish,

There are different scenarios of gmatprep analysis given by bunuel and vercules,which scenario you have applied on verbal
and quant section?
How was RC section?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
After reading so many articles, it seems that time management holds the key to a good score. Thanks to all. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-18-2015
GPA: 2.55
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
600 to 740 - all about Timing and Fundamentals [#permalink]
Congrats Manish... ! +1k :lol:
Which b- school you joined now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 385 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Send PM
seems like a sponsored post!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
this sounds like an interesting approach, never tried it and will try to see the result...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
mehtamanish wrote:
Gave my gmat last week and got a decent 740 (Q50, V40). Even if you don’t have time to read my debrief, I would say one thing – Give importance to the first 10 questions. It added 2-3 points to my verbal score. I have the link below.

gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

I am a super procrastinator. I started my preparation in August 2012 with the aim of applying in December’12. Clearly I will now have to wait for 2013 to apply. However, I have had a wonderful experience on this forum and here is my chance to give back.

My Preparation

In America, if you want to do something, go buy a book to read about it whether its investments or the GMAT. So to start my preparation I purchased Jeff Sackmans TGM, MGMAT SC, Powerscore CR & OG 13.

I found TGM to be relatively well laid out for a refresher. It was perfect for me as I needed a bit of theory and them problems to perfect the skills. I could easily skip the topics to go to the practice problems. I finished this book in 20 days. All in all a solid grounding in concepts.

I then moved to verbal and hit a wall. I started reading MGMAT SC and could at the most 10 pages a day. This was shocking because I had just completed a 500 page book in 20 days. I was putting in 30-45 minutes on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends. After 15 days, I had completed 5-6 chapters and while I had learned new things, I was not certain if I retained much. I repeated the drill with Powerscore CR but somehow could not finish it. Left it after 6th chapter.

So with 2 months gone, I gave a gmatprep – scored 600 – Q48, V23. I felt pathetic. I had 6/15 SC, 5/12 RC and 8/14 CR correct. I knew that I had a long way to go. Moreover, books were not going to cut it. I looked out for Kaplan course, MGMAT, Veritas Prep. I really liked the Veritas Curriculum because they have the most classroom hours. It was also the most expensive. I was about to join Veritas Prep when I read the article parallelism vs logic by egmat. The article just made sense and I decided to give egmat a try. At $150 it was not a bad investment. I really liked the course. I could finish 2-3 modules in a day including solving 10-15 problems. They sent me a study plan. I finished the course in about 45 days and took the mock again. Got a 670 – Q49,V32 this time. Did much better in SC – got 9/15, CR - 9/14 and 7/12RC. I had more confidence. At this time, I got serious as I felt that I was within shooting distance of 700+ score. I joined the egmat live classes program to keep me on track. For quant, I focused on doing difficult problems on the quant forums. The discussions in the egmats live lectures were some of the most intense discussions on SC and CR. The depth to which you go on intended meaning, sentence structure, parallel constructions, dissection of conclusion especially on Strengthen and weaken questions was an eye opener.

I gave my next mock on Jan 23 and scored 710 – Q49, V37. Even though I had to rush through last 10 questions (16 mins), I did much better in SC (11/16) and CR (11/13). RC remained the same (7/12). Also, I answered 2 out of first 10 incorrectly (silly mistakes in SC). I had also spent a lot of time on 1 RC at Q26. Got 2 wrong there. 4 out of the 12 mistakes I made were in the last 10.

From Bunnel’s analysis

I read bunnels analysis on quant section. Realized three things (my take, not bunnel's):

1. First 10 questions are very important.
2. Last 10 questions are not as important
3. It’s probably better to get a continuous stream of questions correct. You may randomly answer 2-3 questions in the middle.

So I revised my mistakes. Modified my strategy to the following:

1. Spend 21 minutes on first 10. Get them right.
2. Randomly answer one question in 11-20 and 21-30 to get back on timing. Select the question that seems very daunting.
3. Do not panic if you have less time. Focus on CR and SC first.

I followed this strategy in MGMAT mock. Got 9 out of first 10 correct and overall scored 39. Messed up a bit in quant. Still ended up scoring 720. Did the same thing in repeat GMATPrep 2. Again got the first 9/10 correct, overall 32 correct this time. Overall score 760 – Q50 V42. There were 4 repeats. I realized that I probably am in the 730-750 bucket.

Gave the test last week and was scored 740. I am very happy about it.

Three things that led to my success

1. Conceptual clarity: My quant and verbal fundamentals were clear. Even when I made mistakes in practice or on mocks, I always spent the time to figure out why I made the mistakes. This gave me the confidence that if I approach questions methodically, I could do most questions right.
2. Calm approach: I had a strategy for mocks and the GMAT. I am lucky to have stumbled on Bunnels analysis. The strategy worked really well for me and allowed me to apply my fundamentals with a calm mind.
3. Test preparedness: I gave 5 mocks during this journey. The first one was a waste. However, each mock test trained my brain to be more focused. Also, I spent good time to evaluate my mocks and my mistakes. In hindsight, had a taken 1-2 more mock tests, I probably would have gotten 750 or 760.

Overall, I want to thank this community for its help. BB for creating this wonderful community, Bunnel for his analysis and some of the most awesome responses on quant, community members like Souvik, Carcass, Debayan, Gurpreet etc. who put in some helpful problems on the forums. Mike Mcgarry from Magoosh, and Shraddha and Chiranjeev from egmat for great explanations on Verbal forums.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will be happy to answer.

I full agree with your post!! Thanks for the conceptual clarity!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am from rural India and not too good in verbal. Can you please help me in choosing the study material for verbal (SC,RC,CR).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi himanshusavarn,

You posted a similar message back in early January of this year (almost a year ago):

gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727-720.html#p1465301

1) What studying have you done since then?
2) What materials have you used?
3) Have you taken the Official GMAT during that time?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have OG and MGMAT verbal review. I have completed MGMAT verbal. Still not able to do well in a verbal. Do I need to have any grammer book?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi himanshusavarn,

The problem you're describing actually happens to many Test Takers who use a "book heavy" study approach. Even the best books are limited in what they can teach you; they also can't force you to approach questions in a certain way and their explanations are often one-sided. As such, you might need to invest in some new non-book resources.

1) When was the last time you took a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) How did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Till now I have not taken full CAT. Since last five years I am planning to attempt for GMAT but due to regular change in location it was not possible. Now after five years I am at a permanent location. Once I have tried test given in OG, in which I got 50% correct answers. I have many materials but I am confused about the start if study. From where I should start?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts