Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

610 (32Q,42V)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

610 (32Q,42V) [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 13:47
Just took the GMAT this morning and wanted to share my experience. This may be my first post, but I have been reading the forum for a few weeks now.

A little background:

I started casually looking at some material (mostly just the warm-up questions in my Princeton Review 2003 book) about 1-1.5 months ago. A couple of weeks ago I started hitting the library a couple times/week. I took the full length PowerPrep I test and scored a 490. After working some problems the remainder of that weekend, a few problems during the week, reading the Princeton Review book and hitting the library this past weekend, I took two practice tests:

Princeton Review CD (GMAT Adaptive Test I): 580 (35Q,35V)
PowerPrep Test II: 570 (37Q,31V)

TEST TIME: 9am this morning

I arrived early and they allowed me to start 45 minutes before my scheduled time, which was nice.

AWA Section:
To be honest, I blew off the essays. Since the important parts of the exam are the Quant & Verbal, I figured I would wing the essays. They gave me two topics that actually challenged me to come up with more than a couple valid points on each side of the argument. Anywho, I tossed a few coherent thoughts down and moved on to the important part!

Quant. Section:
The quant started off pretty well. I thought I was really doing well and recognized most of the problems from my practice....then came my archnemesis...the DATA SUFFICIENCY PROBLEMS! I am convinced my low Quant. score is a direct result of these little *%#*$#. In my practice tests, I did much better on the quantitative section. However, I still felt that the problems in the actual GMAT were VERY similar to those in the PowerPrep software. For the problems that required solving a problem, I found I had ample time to use POE in the event I didn't know the algebraic solution.

Verbal Section:
I scored better on the verbal than I thought I did (96th percentile). I think this section was pretty typical of what I expected. There was only one really long passage in the RC and the SC problems were pretty straight forward (for the most part). Of course, there were some difficult questions, but that was expected. I didn't study idioms every day for a year or anything like that. I just went off of reading what to look for in general from the Princeton Review book and my general knowledge of every day language. In most cases, the TV news anchor, teacher or Priest may not say it correctly in every day use, but I could pick out which one sounds the best on a computer screen!

Overall, I am pleased with my results. You get what you put in and I put in some effort for a month or two and a decent amount of effort for two weeks. In weighing time versus score, I'll take my 610.

I would definitely recommend reading a Princeton Review or some other type of guide. It really helped in identifying problem types (especially in the verbal section). I also felt the PowerPrep problems were pretty representative of the actual GMAT problems.

Hope this helps. This is a really great forum for prospective GMAT test takers.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 19:02
hey red skin

congrats ! I really envy your verbal score !
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 19:43
610 is a score that indicates you can do much better :)

Congratulations, your verbal score is :shock: Can I borrow it? :roll:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2006, 22:27
Oh boooooy... Good Score...... and great verbal score....

Congratulations.... Please share some more tips about your verbal preparation.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
In the same boat!! [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 10:17
Great score, I'm actually in the same boat I've studied for now about a month and 24 of April I'm taking the big leap of faith. I don't have that much time left and so many other things on my mind that I really need to get this out of the way. I've going through the OG -11 and manhattangmat.com has got tough tests and have princeton that I will start the beginning of next month. So i'm keeping the last twenty days on just taking the tests and doing reviews on it./ I have a full time job that takes up much of my time and only the weekends to work with. Any response would be appreciated.

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

In the same boat!!   [#permalink] 29 Mar 2006, 10:17