Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 04:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

610 (36Q/ 41V) – How not to do well in quant!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

610 (36Q/ 41V) – How not to do well in quant! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 04:39
This post received
KUDOS
This is the GMAT club so I’d like to start off my debrief with a good old data sufficiency question:

1.) Kenman is preparing for the GMAT. Is Kenman likely to score above a 45 on the Quant Section of the exam?
(1) Kenman has purchased OG12 and all Manhattan guides, but has answered <25% of the practice questions
(2) Kenman has never scored above a 40 in the Quant section on practice exams

:oops: Let’s just say this question would be at the 200-300 level, and apparently I couldn’t even answer this correctly before scheduling my exam! The answer is D, Each Statement Alone is Sufficient.

I’ve noticed many people’s debriefs are of great scores and I want to encourage more people to post stories of doing horribly as I did, because I believe these stories can sometimes be just as valuable. Bit of background for everyone. I am an American w/m who studied Economics at a top regional with a GPA of 3.8. I have worked the last 5 years for 2 large well known companies. Given my background you’d think I’d be able to achieve a semi-respectable score in math, but you’d be very wrong! And what’s worse, I know I fully deserved the brutal violation that occurred when the GMAT snuck behind me and pounced......

I began studying in September but never really got into a solid groove. I attribute this to being a historically good test taker, underestimating the GMAT, and thinking that a good general understanding of the math concepts would suffice. The materials I had were all the Manhattan guides and OG12, but do not fret and think this score is likely for you because I honestly did not take my prep seriously enough. I went through the Manhattan SC, number Properties, and Geometry but a fatal mistake was not doing even a quarter of the OG12 problems Manhattan refers to and not making sure I understood why I was wrong on certain questions. In addition to this, I reviewed a bit of the word translations book the day before my test and thought “I should have looked at this months ago”.

The nail in my coffin was taking the MGMAT and GMAT prep exams before I fully studied the OG and concepts, and, finally ladies and gentlemen, scheduling my GMAT exam when I was not happy with my practice scores! My first GMAT prep in October was 550, and 2 days before the test it was 650. The 610 I got was well in the range of GMATPrep’s supposed predictive power. Reading this back is making me want to transport back in time and kick the everloving cr*p out of myself for handling this so poorly.

There is a positive in all this though. First, I’m hoping my experience will help others from approaching the test in the same was as me. Second, I know exactly what I have to do in order to improve my scores. I am going back to the drawing board and re-studying the main concepts, and I will actually complete the practice questions in the OG. Furthermore, I will now become a regular on the GMAT math forum here and attempt to answer one question a day after I review my foundation properly.

Please consider my experience before prematurely booking your exam! I will take the test again around early to mid February, and I promise I WILL score over a 700 and I will be a more active member of this forum. I hope everyone on this board learns from my mistake, and reads my new debrief in 2 months time when I score over 700!
-Kenman
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

Re: 610 (36Q/ 41V) – How not to do well in quant! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 06:57
kenman wrote:
This is the GMAT club so I’d like to start off my debrief with a good old data sufficiency question:

1.) Kenman is preparing for the GMAT. Is Kenman likely to score above a 45 on the Quant Section of the exam?
(1) Kenman has purchased OG12 and all Manhattan guides, but has answered <25% of the practice questions
(2) Kenman has never scored above a 40 in the Quant section on practice exams

:oops: Let’s just say this question would be at the 200-300 level, and apparently I couldn’t even answer this correctly before scheduling my exam! The answer is D, Each Statement Alone is Sufficient.

I’ve noticed many people’s debriefs are of great scores and I want to encourage more people to post stories of doing horribly as I did, because I believe these stories can sometimes be just as valuable. Bit of background for everyone. I am an American w/m who studied Economics at a top regional with a GPA of 3.8. I have worked the last 5 years for 2 large well known companies. Given my background you’d think I’d be able to achieve a semi-respectable score in math, but you’d be very wrong! And what’s worse, I know I fully deserved the brutal violation that occurred when the GMAT snuck behind me and pounced......

I began studying in September but never really got into a solid groove. I attribute this to being a historically good test taker, underestimating the GMAT, and thinking that a good general understanding of the math concepts would suffice. The materials I had were all the Manhattan guides and OG12, but do not fret and think this score is likely for you because I honestly did not take my prep seriously enough. I went through the Manhattan SC, number Properties, and Geometry but a fatal mistake was not doing even a quarter of the OG12 problems Manhattan refers to and not making sure I understood why I was wrong on certain questions. In addition to this, I reviewed a bit of the word translations book the day before my test and thought “I should have looked at this months ago”.

The nail in my coffin was taking the MGMAT and GMAT prep exams before I fully studied the OG and concepts, and, finally ladies and gentlemen, scheduling my GMAT exam when I was not happy with my practice scores! My first GMAT prep in October was 550, and 2 days before the test it was 650. The 610 I got was well in the range of GMATPrep’s supposed predictive power. Reading this back is making me want to transport back in time and kick the everloving cr*p out of myself for handling this so poorly.

There is a positive in all this though. First, I’m hoping my experience will help others from approaching the test in the same was as me. Second, I know exactly what I have to do in order to improve my scores. I am going back to the drawing board and re-studying the main concepts, and I will actually complete the practice questions in the OG. Furthermore, I will now become a regular on the GMAT math forum here and attempt to answer one question a day after I review my foundation properly.

Please consider my experience before prematurely booking your exam! I will take the test again around early to mid February, and I promise I WILL score over a 700 and I will be a more active member of this forum. I hope everyone on this board learns from my mistake, and reads my new debrief in 2 months time when I score over 700!
-Kenman

Kenman, thank you very much for sharing that +1

I had a very similar experience, and i'd like your thoughts on mine! how-not-to-get-610-q42-v33-in-your-gmat-102453.html

This exercise may be in vain, no one seems to care about posts that detail what not to do. Like you, I think a huge amount of info can be learned from detailing mistakes instead of successes! I will definitely reread your post a few times, i've already picked up a few tips from it. I hope you get a few from mine.

We will score 700+ the next time, im right there with you!

Best
Rux10

Edit: I also got a 610 in the real thing after scoring in the mid 600's in the MGMAT cats!

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: 610 (36Q/ 41V) – How not to do well in quant! [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2010, 07:29
If we mix my quant skills with your verb one, I think we can make it to 760 :p
thanks for the debrief, instructive!

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Re: 610 (36Q/ 41V) – How not to do well in quant!   [#permalink] 14 Dec 2010, 07:29