Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

610 in GMAT . Need suggestion to retake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

610 in GMAT . Need suggestion to retake [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 02:45
Hi,

I gave GMAT today 1st Jul at pearson in B'lore. Scored shameful 610

Quant 48, Verbal 27.

Quant was way to easy I expected it to be. Thou still scored 48 as this was my best score in any mock CAT's.

Verbal was initially easy till 15 q. then I started getting tough question , it dint ended till the last question. i thought I was doing well. After submitting , I got horrendous 27 in verbal 42%. My prev mock test results as below ( they all were taken in a months time)

MGCAT 1 Quant 43, V 31 /620
MGCAT 2 Q 39, V 36 / 620
MGCAT 3 Q 44, V 31/ 630
MGCAT 4 Q 45 , V 32 / 640
MGCAT 5 Q 45, V 28 / 580
MGCAT 6 Q 46, V 34 / 660

GMAT Prep ( 2 days before exam ) Q 48, V 33 / 680

As you can see my worst verbal score was 28 and my average always been 31-32+. I still cant figure out how I scored such a low 27 in verbal. I was expecting to hit 700 or atleast 640 ( my usual average). I'm really finding it hard to digest 610 score..

I'm below 40-50 points my average score and feeling a strong reason to retake. Need your suggestion guys
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 340

Kudos [?]: 1391 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 in GMAT . Need suggestion to retake [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 05:41
You should definitely retake. You haven't elaborated on the preparatory materials you used before taking the GMAT. Based on various debriefs from 700+ scorers alone, I can tell you to get the MGMAT SC Guide, and the Powerscore CR book and work heavily through them and master all the concepts. Because, sentence correction can be mastered. It's like math in a lot of ways - there are simple rules and lots of them, but once you get the grasp of the spectrum of rules and see how it is applied on paper (computer :D) you get the hang of it slowly. But this happens only with practice. So, do that (with the CR as well) and then when you feel you are completely comfortable with that move on to the OG 12 and OG Verbal Review. Beyond that, take a few practice tests and see where you score.

As for RC, I think there are various threads detailing how to improve your RC score. Just do a search for them on here, and check out the open source GMAT Club Grammar Book too. They have some pretty succinct explanations going on there.

But before all this, breathe! A 610 is by no means "shameful" but if you're aiming top 20, yeah, you'll need to cut it better. Take a week off. Don't touch the GMAT books (No, sneak peeks are not allowed either. And strictly no cursing at whim). Relax, clear your mind and start afresh.

Hope this helps :)
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 in GMAT . Need suggestion to retake [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 06:59
I'd say that you should do a re-take. You were probably a bit nervous while taking the test. Keep in mind that no matter how much you mock the real testing situation during a practice exam, it's not the same until you at the chair in the testing center. Since your weakness is in verbal, I'd keep working at it. MGMAT SC is a great book for SC. Try to get your hands on any readings that you can get, readings that are more profound than high school reading materials. The key is to practice as much as you can. Use GMATClub for the questions (SC, CR, and RC). Many have claimed that GMATClub alone can help prep for your GMAT since so many folks post questions on a daily basis. However, you need to make sure that you understand the basics, such as when to use past perfect and when not to. Good luck!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: 610 in GMAT . Need suggestion to retake [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 23:59
Really not sure, if I took drastic step in exam for a miracle to happen. I was patient and focused. I wonder why I had easier question at first 10 and non harder questions till the end. SC's weren't difficult but 3-4 lines long with half of statement underlined. CR too followed lengthy pattern. Only last RC full of random data, I found difficult due to time consuming detail based question. I only assumed I was doing well, due to level of questions. but this wasnt the case. Even in my subconcious mind, I hit 31 + in verbal. I'm really confused what really went wrong and which section took the toll. Books I read MGMAT SC, Powerscore CR, 1000 and LSAT series. OG 10,11 12

I'm completly lost. I'm looking for knewton 50 point guarantee. Not sure how effective they are. any suggestion?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 in GMAT . Need suggestion to retake [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 22:40
I wouldn't so the knewton -- your weak area (verbal) can't be easily remedied in a classroom setting.

First -- take some time off. The GMAT isn't the most important thing in the world. Go get in the habit of reading for as much as possible every day from printed sources (wall street journal, the economist, scientific American) to tune your English ear. It will do wonders for all the verbal sections

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: 610 in GMAT . Need suggestion to retake   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2010, 22:40