Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

610 (Q35,V39) GMAT DONE!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

610 (Q35,V39) GMAT DONE! [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 11:38
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys! I just came back from the test center!
I know it's not the best score, but I'M happy with it.

Last week I got (550 Q32, V34) on GMATPrep 1 and a few days ago took GMATPrep 2 and got (580 Q36, V34) on GMATPrep 2.

I took the GMAT at the end of July and got 550 (Q35, V31).

You can't imagine how shocked I was when I saw 610. I was elated.
Then upon further inspection, my Q score didn't change at all. It was all verbal, which was strange since 80% of the studying I've been doing has been Quant!! Anyways, I'm in the middle of a calculus course so the admissions committee will see that. Hopefully I'll do well.
Anyways, I'll give a more detailed debrief on what I did later. But right now I'm gonna relax and chill out!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
happy chilling.
see u with debrief.
good score with the prep you have done.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 18:32
This post received
KUDOS
ques min left
1 75
5 65
10 55
15 45
20 35
25 25
30 15
35 5
37 1

thats really great man.. u did good job..

the time trick is very good.. will try to imitate it
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Congrats! [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2007, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hey man, it is good to finally see a target score for us normal people out there just trying to break the 600 barrier.

Just a few questions:

How many CAT tests do you recommend taking? Are the MGMAT CAT's worth taking in addition to GMATPrep?
What are the most important math concepts to master if I am shooting for a math score like yours? Are the questions very similar to the OG at the Q35 level?
Any more tips for getting a Verbal score like yours? How do you compare the verbal questions on the exam to the OG?

Thanks a lot.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, Duke, NYU, Columbia

Kudos [?]: 5 [2] , given: 4

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
Good for you! I know there is a ton of 750+ people on this site, but if you look at the avg score for every test taker being around 530.. 610 is kick ass!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2007, 15:51
This post received
KUDOS
Well I'm back. I'm a little disappointed with my quant score, since I believed I should've scored higher.

I arrived at the test center a half hour early for my 8:00AM test. The air smelled smoky and was a little brown (i'm in socal and there's fires going on here). I was #12 in line. Finally got to my station and once seated I took some time to get settled in my chair. Made sure my arm rests were comfortable, seat height was correct, etc. Once I was comfortable, I picked my schools and then proceeded with the test.

First question was about West Cambria volunteer ambulance squad and how they have longer response times than East Cambria Commercial ambulance. And that how they should disband the west cambria service due to the longer avg response times which will then improve accident victim care and increase revenues for the city. I pointed out that there could be differences in the sizes of both east and west cambria, and addressed something about "victim care".

Second question was a statement that a specified amount of "public service" which I interpreted as "community service" should be mandatory for all citizens because it will help all individuals and improve the country as a whole. I disagreed and made up some examples of a complete stranger going out of the way to open a door for another person or a doorman whose job is to go out of the way to open doors for people. And stressed how once something is forced it loses its good natured value. Also mentioned something about people who take advantage of the welfare system that have no motivation to improve (thus would not help country as a whole).

I consider myself a quick typer (+100wpm) so i just brainstormed everything onto the screen. Then made a template and built them up as necessary. I kinda panicked when a few seconds before my time was up on the issue essay, I remembered that I had forgotten to erase all the notes I had put at the very top of the essay. When I did, I realized I was missing my intro paragraph! Luckily there was an undo button so I breathed a sigh of relief.

After the essays I took a quick break, ate some pretzels I had brought, drank some water, stretched... Onto the math..

Oh, before the math, I created a little time-chart thingy on the side of my board, so I could keep track of where I should be at a given problem. I would reference this every few questions. At times I was behind the avg about 4-5 minutes. But I never went further than that.
My chart was something as follows.

ques min left
1 75
5 65
10 55
15 45
20 35
25 25
30 15
35 5
37 1

Anyways, if you want to do something similar, just start with the right column counting down every ten min (75, 65, 55, etc) then match that with the left column, starting with (1, 5, 10, 15 ,etc)

So that's what I did. What I remember was that it kept asking me a lot of avgs questions. A lot of DS questions that gave you an avg and then asked you to find the median. So it wasn't straightforward avgs, so I had a little tough time with them.

I mentioned in my earlier post that I am taking a calculus class right now. What came in handy was the first week of that course we just did factoring polynomials. I had a lot of practice with those. So it helped me out a lot during the test. There was also several geometry questions, one where knowing the 3:4:5 triples came in handy. Although it was x:120:150. Also there was a trick work formula question. It would start with the typical machine x rate and machine y rate, then if combined rates, what portion of the combined rate is machine y's, so you'd have to mult y's independent rate to the total rate in order to get the answer.
I had to be careful to reread the question before answering. It really helped me out a lot. Towards the end I was starting to run out of time, I had to guess on the last two or three, which sucked because I could've finished them if i had more time.

Took my break, ate a granola bar, went to the bathroom, took 8 min out of my 10 min break. Went back and sat down and stretched during the 30 sec it gave the verbal instructions. I basically knew the manhattan SC and CR's powerscore bible books like the back of my hand since I've read them over and over, so maybe those came into play. A lot of the SC questions were TOUGH, especially at the end though. I don't remember TOO much on these except that one SC question was pretty current. It was about Antonia Villagarosa, who is the current mayor of Los Angeles.

For RC there was a passage about CO2 and some forest, another about African-American industrialization in the early 1900's, another on latin american writers/poets, and I don't quite remember the last one.

CR wasn't too difficult, maybe it was everything I had learned with the powerscore bible that helped me out. That's basically the only difference between my last GMAT and this one. I didn't have too difficult ones though, like no boldface.

For prep i started in March. My foundation in math is VERY POOR! I wish it wasn't but I have bad fundamentals. I started around March by going to the library and checking out a...(gulp) arithmetic book. Yes I started with the basics and built myself up. But first in order to do that I had to admit that I was bad. Once I felt comfortable with that book, I checked out a college algebra book. At the same time i signed up with Kaplan that started in May. COMPLETE waste of money, I attended the class thinking it would be my math refresher, but it wasn't. If I could do it all over again I would've signed up for a math class, and save the extra money.

About the same time I started kaplan, I discovered about the OG 11th edition books. Got the OG, Math, Verbal books. Then I found out through this great site about the Manhattan SC. When I started reading that book, that's when I started to realize that something was kind of wrong with Kaplan. I also got Manhattan Word Translations - HELPED ME OUT A TON!! Work/Distance problems are so fun to do. So are translating word problems into algebra. I also got the Manhattan Number Properties book, where I learned how to add consecutive evens, learned about odds/evens, pos/neg., exponents/roots, etc. All these books were crucial to my performance on the test.

As far as verbal, I just used OG Verbal, CR Powerscore Bible, and Manhattan SC. I just learned the rules until they were ingrained into my brain. I'd always correct my gf whether it be reasoning/logic or sentence structure in order to teach myself outloud, but I bet it annoyed the hell out of her!

Well thankfully it's over now. I feel like I've typed way too much so I'm gonna stop now.

Oh my previous test scores (sorry dont remember q or v's):
Kaplan Diagnostic 470 05/01/07
MGMAT 1 580 Q37, V42 7/4/07
MGMAT 2 580 Q36, V33 7/7/07
MGMAT 3 660 Q43, V37 7/13/07
MGMAT 4 500 Q27, V32 7/15/07 (had a tall glass of hefe during this one!)
GMAT #1 550 Q35, V31 07/30/07
MGMAT 5 540 Q29, V36 9/30/07
GMATPrep 1 550 Q32, V34 10/14/07
GMATPrep 2 580 Q36, V34 10/19/07
GMAT #2 610 Q35, V39 10-22-07

there's a few other kaplan tests in the beginning but I dont remember them as I dont have access to the tests anymore.

Last edited by DTM on 24 Oct 2007, 06:29, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2007, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
How many CAT tests do you recommend taking?
I'd say as many as possible without burning out.
Not included in my list of CATs that I took were about 5 Kaplan CATs that I took about once a week from May-June. It helped raise my stamina for the real thing, but especially with the GMATPrep, since the layout/color/font/etc is the same, I felt that during the actual test it felt like any other GMATPrep practice test. That helped to calm my nerves down.

Are the MGMAT CAT's worth taking in addition to GMATPrep?
Yes absolutely, since if you buy any Manhattan GMAT guide new, you have access to 8 practice tests. You can take them over and over again. Plus unlike GMATPrep, the MGMAT CATs analyze your strengths/weaknesses and give explanations for all the questions. GMATPrep does not, it just says "Incorrect" if you got one wrong.

What are the most important math concepts to master if I am shooting for a math score like yours?
Well I shouldn't be giving math advice since I don't believe I am that great. But for me, I felt the most important concepts the GMAT likes to test are: Prime numbers, Factors/Multiples, Odds/Evens, sq roots/exponents, factoring, avgs.

If you have time and feel that your math skills are weak, I strongly suggest that you study the basics either on a precalculus or algebra book. If you have even more time, take a class. I wish I had done this myself.

Are the questions very similar to the OG at the Q35 level?
I believe studying the questions at the back of OG were helpful for me. I found that I had no troubles doing straightforward math in the beginning and middle sections. The questions in the diagnostic test and the last few pages (especially DS) challenged me. I think DS is my ultimate weakness, but that is a result of not having my concepts locked down, therefore I'm not able to reason as well as someone who knows their concepts. Since I couldn't break past these hard questions, I most likely just answered all the easy/mid-range questions without ever proving to be above a 35Q.

Any more tips for getting a Verbal score like yours?
I made some idiom flashcards, based on the idiom page on Manhattan SC. It helped, somewhat. I think you just gotta learn the GMAT language. Most of that can be learned from the Manhattan SC.
I was truly surprised that I got such a high verbal score. It kills me even more to think that had my quant skills been more sound, I would've gotten an killer overall score.

How do you compare the verbal questions on the exam to the OG?
I'd say they were pretty similar, nothing that I've never seen before.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 610 (Q35,V39) GMAT DONE! [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 13:48
well it's me again.. over 7 months have gone by, I've submitted my apps with the score I had and I've been in waitlist purgatory for the past 3.5 months.

I can't believe I would ever say this but...GLUP.. I think I may have to RETAKE THE GMAT!! :cry:

It's been so long and I am SO out of it, back to the point of where I'm a total noob and never took the test before. DS? Oh crap, not again!!

My advice to everyone is, don't go home from the test center and burn your books right away. You never know if you'll need to retake it. I know I still kept my books, so I might be blowing the dust off of them pretty soon here.. Once you get an admit letter on the other hand, then by all means burn away! :twisted:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 (Q35,V39) GMAT DONE! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 05:26
what schools were you applying to?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: 610 (Q35,V39) GMAT DONE! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 09:08
I am also curious as to which schools you are applying.

Also, are you in San Diego? I noticed your reference to the fires. I am starting a GMAT study group in SD, so if you are interested please let me know.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: 610 (Q35,V39) GMAT DONE! [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 10:25
Good score, DTM. The time allocation thing is also a good idea.
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 (Q35,V39) GMAT DONE! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2008, 02:08
Congratulations on the improvement, DTM. Great job with the pacing, too!

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Re: 610 (Q35,V39) GMAT DONE!   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2008, 02:08