Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 14:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

610 (Real GMAT) -> 640 (GMAT Prep)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

610 (Real GMAT) -> 640 (GMAT Prep) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 15:35
Hi,

I started studying GMAT in Februrary 2009, with

OG 11
OG Verbal Review
OG Quatitiative Review
MGMAT SC
MGMAT RC
MGMAT CR
Kaplan 2009 Premier Program

Prep1 - 540 (Q46 V20)
Prep2 - 640 (Q49 V28)
Prep3 - 620 (Q47 V28)

Real GMAT - 610 (Q48 V26) AWA 5.0, end of June 2009.

After the test, I bought and studied...

Kaplan Verbal Workbook
Kaplan Advanced
GMATClub tests

And,

MGMAT CAT1 - 610 (Q44 V31)
MGMAT CAT2 - 600 (Q44 V30)
GMATClub V01 23
GMATClub V02 27
GMATClub V03 33
GMATClub V04 22
GMATClub V05 27
GMATClub V06 33

Yesterday (Aug 01, 2009) I got

GMAT Prep 4 - 640 (Q49 V28)

----------------------------------

The above is my study summary.
I planned to take the GMAT test next week (Aug 08, 2009), but I rescheduled it to December. I knew that I can't get more than 700.
I heard that if the applicant takes the test more than 3 times, it will look bad on the GMAT Adcom.
SC improved alot, I get like 3-4 wrong now, before it was like 7-8. But, CR and RC are still killing me.

Since I am going out of country for personal reason, I can't keep studying GMAT in August (for one month)
AFter I come back, I need to study harder to get 700+ in December.

My questions are...

Do I need to buy Powerscore CR/Powerscore Verbal?
Do I need to buy new OG 12, and new OG verbal Review?
Do i need to buy Princeton 1012 GMAT?
Is GMAT Fiction books better than doing RC 1000?
How's the Manhattan Review Turbo Charge your GMAT: Verbal study guide and Verbal Solutions guide?

Sigh,please give me any advice.

Thank you in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 (Real GMAT) -> 640 (GMAT Prep) [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 16:49
Hi taekyuchoi,

Your quant looks great so props to you on that! As for verbal here's what I would do ...

1) I wouldn't buy more study materials. I think you have more than enough to help you increase your verbal score.

2) You need to really understand how an argument is constructed for the CR questions. I am a reformed lawyer so the CR section is easy for me. You need to understand how the GMAT puts together these arguments, i.e. premises and conclusion. If you want to really improve CR I would write out the premises in some shorthand form and the conclusion. Then, depending on the question type (e.g., weaken, strengthen), try to anticipate the answer then look at the answer choices. You'll get faster at this and then you won't need to write out everything.

3) For RC, I don't follow any kind of strategy. I'm fast on the other types of questions so I take my time with the RC passages. I don't like the tricks that Kaplan or MGMAT employ for RC. Those tricks may work for some but not for me.

I hope this helps. I am weak (but getting stronger) in quant and strong in verbal.

If you're like me you work on the stuff you're good at and put off the other. Don't do this! Address your weaknesses and you'll improve. I have done this over the last two months with quant and I have been scoring 45-47 on GMATPrep. This is a huge jump for me! I'm trying to get to the 47-49 range before my test in two weeks.

You can do it! Hang in there. You're closer than you think.

Franklin Delano Bluth
Re: 610 (Real GMAT) -> 640 (GMAT Prep)   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2009, 16:49