Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

610 to 690 with MGMAT class

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 18:52
This post received
KUDOS
So basically, I'm a regular. Nothing extra impressive about me intelligence-wise. After I ordered the official guide 12 from amazon in January and began looking through it I quickly realized I would not be able to score in the needed range without a decent amount of studying. I also knew I needed structure and a plan and didn't think I could keep myself motivated to study without help. So, after poking around here on GMATCLUB I decided that taking a Manhattan GMAT class was my best bet, so I ponied up the $1,100 and scheduled by exam for 10 days after the course was scheduled to end, making my G-day July 1st, 2011.

I used nothing but the books that were included in the class and a few guides I downloaded from GMATCLUB.

My test scores were as follows:
MGMAT 1 - 610 (q:44, v:31) 3/14, no essays, timed.
MGMAT 2 - 640 (q:44, v:34) 4/27, no essays, not timed.
MGMAT 3 - 620 (q:45, v:31) 5/22, no essays, timed.
MGMAT 4 - 650 (q:44, v:35) 6/17, no essays, timed.
MGMAT 5 - 600 (q:40, v:33) 6/19, essays, timed.
GMATPREP 1 - 690 (q:45, v:40) 6/23, essays, timed.
MGMAT 6 - 660 (q:44, v:36) 6/26, no essays, timed.
GMATPREP 2 - 700 (q:47, v:38) 6/29, no essays, timed.
G-day - 690 (q:44, v:40)

Overall, I'm satisfied with my score although I think I could have cracked 700 if my quant didn't lag on test day. I don't plan on retaking unless I get rejected from all the schools I apply to this year.

As far as the MGMAT class, I don't really recommend it for the price, but I do think their SC and CR guides helped me A LOT! If anything I would recommend buying their package that gives you all their guides, OG's, and online access to class recordings.

If you have any questions about my process I'd be happy to respond.

I'm excited that I'm done with the GMAT and I look forward to applying for 2012!

It's better to be lucky than to be good.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 20

Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 09:02
Good work. All the best for future apps.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 19

Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 12:33
Congrats on the good score..... I really feel bad bro..... was tracing your Q score.....you did real well in all your mock tests( I would rate MGMAT Q44 to be 48-49 on GMAT Prep) almost 47-48 range and your real GMAT Q brought you down. Only if you could drag it to the other side of 45..:) Goes on to show the importance of D Day luck. Nevertheless, good score and good luck with applications.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 15:30
mattapraveen wrote:
Congrats on the good score..... I really feel bad bro..... was tracing your Q score.....you did real well in all your mock tests( I would rate MGMAT Q44 to be 48-49 on GMAT Prep) almost 47-48 range and your real GMAT Q brought you down. Only if you could drag it to the other side of 45..:) Goes on to show the importance of D Day luck. Nevertheless, good score and good luck with applications.

Thanks mattapraveen, I feel as if my true abilities better reflect your GMAT 1 score, with a higher Quant and lower Verbal, so while I do feel I could raise the quant, I feel my verbal would likely go down and it would be a wash. So i'll just press forward for now

Manager
Manager

Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 20:12
mixedin86 wrote:
mattapraveen wrote:

Thanks mattapraveen, I feel as if my true abilities better reflect your GMAT 1 score, with a higher Quant and lower Verbal, so while I do feel I could raise the quant, I feel my verbal would likely go down and it would be a wash. So i'll just press forward for now

Yeah.....Looking at the schools you are applying, you are within in the ball park figure of most school's average GMAT. So no point really going through all the pain of GMAT preparation. The same time cna be invested wisely on quality essays.Good luck with your applications.
Just curious, any specific reason/s behind planning to apply to McCombs?? Its one of the schools I am looking at. I want to get into the energy/oil and gas sector post MBA and hence a bit keen on McCombs. Most of the oil nd gas majors come there for recruiting actively.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 09:54
mattapraveen wrote:
mixedin86 wrote:
mattapraveen wrote:

Yeah.....Looking at the schools you are applying, you are within in the ball park figure of most school's average GMAT. So no point really going through all the pain of GMAT preparation. The same time cna be invested wisely on quality essays.Good luck with your applications.
Just curious, any specific reason/s behind planning to apply to McCombs?? Its one of the schools I am looking at. I want to get into the energy/oil and gas sector post MBA and hence a bit keen on McCombs. Most of the oil nd gas majors come there for recruiting actively.

No extra-specific reason why I like McCombs other than that they are Regionally very strong in Finance and I feel they would provide a strong experience outside of the classroom...good area, amazing athletics and whatnot.

Also, I'm apply through the Consortium for multiple reasons and not every school is associated with them, so I'm choosing from within.

I see you're likely applying to Darden, I really like their program as well and may very likely subsititute them for Anderson on my list. Only thing is that these forums have been scaring me away from Darden because they're saying Darden has the toughest workload of all the Business schools, and I know from Undergrad the Case-study method can be a beast, I can only imagine the workload at a college where EVERY class is case-study. ahhhh

Manager
Manager

Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 10:01
One of my seniors( From work place) is presently studying at Darden. She was telling me that it was quite hectic initially, but she gradually got into the groove and after the initial weeks....she could manage quite well. From what she says, it not as scary as it sounds.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 78

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 14:53
Congrats! Can you please comment on the difficulty level of verbal section on the real test ? I mean - you could use OG questions as benchmark! :)
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 16:59
voodoochild wrote:
Congrats! Can you please comment on the difficulty level of verbal section on the real test ? I mean - you could use OG questions as benchmark! :)

I felt the verbal difficulty on the Real GMAT was identical to the verbal difficulty on the GMATPREP tests. Quant was what through me off, the REAL GMAT seemed tougher than I was expecting, I didn't even know the answer to the very first question (looking back I guess it could have been one of the questions that don't count, but still. Not knowing the first question can shake your confidence a bit)

Overall, I feel the GMATPREP is EXTREMLY acurate and I would most certainly recommend saving the 2 GMATPREP tests for last. I recommend taking the MGMAT tests but I would discount their scores on both Quant and Verbal. Their Quant was scored too tough and their Verbal was similar in difficulty but more lengthy which made timing a little tough.

Re: 610 to 690 with MGMAT class   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2011, 16:59