Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

610 to 700, DO NOT GIVE UP

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 1

610 to 700, DO NOT GIVE UP [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 17:33
This post received
KUDOS
Hello everyone,

I just got back from the test center with a score of 700, and WOW, what a LOOOOONG arduous journey it was. I know it's not the sexy 750+ score, but I'm proud of it. I know this score will enable me to apply to any school without my GMAT score being a question mark.

I want to share my experiences with everyone so you can learn from them, better yourself during prep, and NOT GIVE UP!

I have been thinking about pursuing an MBA for a number of years, and whenever the idea popped up, the GMAT was what scared me most. I was never an incredible standardized test taker. But, I knew the GMAT had to be conquered in order for me to have a chance to attend a top MBA program.

July, 2013, I reached out to a family friend of mine who is an alumnus of a top school. I told her that I want to apply to business school in Round 1 of 2014. She said, "you gotta write the GMAT, and it would be extremely beneficial if you had a 700+ score."

Well, here's where the journey began. To give everyone an idea of my quantitative skills, I didn't know how to do prime factorization, I had no idea about overlapping sets or perms and combs, I didn't have a clue how to setup a Rate/Work problem, and I had to learn how to do the basics of factoring, because I hadn't done them in many years... To give everyone an idea about my verbal skills, I am a native English speaker who scored in the 55 percentile on SAT verbal. With that underwhelming foundation, I set an ambitious goal to score a 700, and I started studying.

I downloaded the Magoosh software, bought the Manhattan GMAT books, and bought the OG.
I took my first practice test on Manhattan after about 2 weeks of learning the basics of the GMAT. I scored a beautiful 590 Q38, V34. To be honest, it was probably a better score than I should have got.

I started watching the Magoosh videos, and they were helpful with the basics, but I was covering too many topics in too short of a time period; I wasn't able to absorb anything.
I switched over the the Manhattan books, and I went through each math book one-by-one. This really helped me master the basic concepts. I was always good at math growing up, so the old material came back quickly, and I was able to factor, multiply, divide, etc. very quickly.

Once I went through the math books, I thought I was getting to the finish line, so I decided to book my test for September, 2013. I kept doing practice problems on Magoosh, and I was at about a 60% success rate on medium/hard questions in quant and 70% on medium/hard verbal. I enrolled in a local prep course in Canada. It really didn't teach me much. It cost $1000 that I will never get back. I decided it was time to write a few CATs. I wrote 4 CATs in 2 weeks and got,

GMATPrep 660
Manhattan 650 Q40, V38
Manhattan 640 Q42, V36
GmatPrep 630

YIKES! I postponed my GMAT to November, and I went on a 2 week vacation in mid - late September.
My prep from July to September was full of stress and anxiety. I work 60 hours per week, and I felt guilty if I did anything at all during my free time except study. This was a bad approach, and I knew this when I saw my declining GMAT CAT results. I decided to take a more relaxed approach leading up to my new test date in November. I bought the Kaplan 800 book, because I thought it could take me from the 650 range to the 700 range. I studied a lot from this book thinking it would take me to that next level.
I retook the GMATPrep exams and scored,
730 Q47, V44
700 Q47, V39

WOW! I thought I was ready to conquer the GMAT. I was certainly wrong! I went to my first test and convinced myself that I was calm, relaxed, and ready to dominate!
During the quant section, I noticed that I was being given a lot of really simple questions. I finished the section with 10 minutes left, and thought to myself, "that's not good..."
I felt like the verbal section went alright.
I was ready to see my score and saw a 610 Q40, V34. I nearly fainted in my chair. What a slap in the face.

Here's a good tip: Do not tell all of your friends and family members that you are writing the GMAT!!! I had to call so many people to tell them about the crappy news. It was horrible!

The turning point in my story was now. DO NOT GIVE UP! I promised myself that I would get a 700, and I said I am not stopping. I studied HARD (3 hours per day) for a month and then went on a 2 week vacation. On the vacation, I made sure that I remained fresh. I would do series of 10-20 questions per day out of the OG. I came back and I studied even HARDER (5 hours per day).

I went on GMAT Club and I read multiple success stories. Every single story stressed the importance of the OG. So, I downloaded the GMAT Club iPhone app and I tracked all of my OG results. I went through every single question in the OG for PS, DS, CR, and SC. For all of the ones I got wrong, I tried again. If I got them wrong a second time, I made sure I understood why, thoroughly. Bunuel really helped me accomplish this on the math section. Simply use the search bar and type in a portion of the question. Bunuel's explanations were mostly perfect.

I also bought the GMAT Club tests. I got about 30% correct when I would write a practice exam, but I would go through the incorrect answers in a similar fashion to what I did with the OG - I made sure I understood what I did wrong. These tests were great, but they are really for people who are looking to get 90 percentile + on the quant section. However, what theses tests made me really realize was how bad the Kaplan800 book was. Those math questions were sub-600! I do not recommend you buy this book.

I booked my test for today, knowing that my basics were covered, and it was just a matter of being able to pull it all together during the real thing.

I wrote another Manhattan test, and I didn't finish the math. I scored a 690 with a 39Q and 45V - Haha, what a ridiculous verbal score. I knew the quant was low, because all Manhattan quant sections are more difficult than the real GMAT.

Test day:
I arrived at the test center 30 minutes early and realized that the tall americano from Starbucks upset my stomach. I had to go to the 7-11 nearby (in a rough part of town) to unleash some demons. Make sure that your body is 100% comfortable before you take the exam! You do not want to be distracted.
I went in to the test center, and I was already familiar with the unfriendly staff and setting. I went in and wrote the AWA and IR sections. I stored a Starbucks refresher energy drink in my locker, and I took a sip from it after the AWA/IR. I wrote the quant and felt ok about it. I would go on runs of getting about 4-5 questions right, and then I screwed up on a few easy ones. I chugged the rest of my energy drink in between the quant and verbal and then went into the verbal with an open mind. I knew I was strong in the verbal, so I knew I had to nail it to lift my score. I was thrown some very difficult/confusing questions but managed my time well and persevered.

I clicked on the button and saw the 700 pop up..... Wow, 6 months of pain and hard work really paid off....

Last edited by canadianbroski on 05 Sep 2014, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 7

Re: 610 to 700, DO NOT GIVE UP [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 02:59
Kudos to you. :)

Great and inspiring story! Good luck with your applications.
Re: 610 to 700, DO NOT GIVE UP   [#permalink] 17 Feb 2014, 02:59