Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 06:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 355 [2] , given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (02:17) correct 30% (01:24) wrong based on 123 sessions
62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves Democrats. Despite this, for the past 3 elections, the citizens of state W have voted a Republican into the office as governor.

Which of the following if true,could best explain this apparent incongruity in the results of the past 3 elections in state W?

A) Approximately 78% of the rural residents of state W decalred themselves republicans, as compared with 38% of the urban residents.
B) State elections consist of a primary election in which voters must vote for a candidate matching their declared party followed by a general election in which voters can vote for a candidate of any party.
C) Over the past 5 elections, the percentage of declared republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared democrate who voted.
D) Voters must declare a party of preference more than thirty days before the state' primary election, and voters with no declared preference are ineligible to vote in the primary.
E) The state's last democratic governor was initially very popular but lost his bid for re-election after the state's economy suffered a severe recession.

Found this and many similar problems in veritas prep CAT and have a serious doubt about OA provided.
Would request experts to take a look and suggest explanation
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Last edited by dentobizz on 13 Nov 2013, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.
edited the Title
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 12:27
Vips0000 wrote:
Found this and many similar problems in veritas prep CAT and have a serious doubt about OA provided.
Would request experts to take a look and suggest explanation:

62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves Democrats. Despite this, for the past 3 elections, the citizens of state W have voted a Republican into the office as governor.

Which of the following if true,could best explain this apparent incongruity in the results of the past 3 elections in state W?

A) Approximately 78% of the rural residents of state W decalred themselves republicans, as compared with 38% of the urban residents. - This doesn't explain why Republican won
B) State elections consist of a primary election in which voters must vote for a candidate matching their declared party followed by a general election in which voters can vote for a candidate of any party. voters can vote any party. didn't explain why Republican won
C) Over the past 5 elections, the percentage of declared republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared democrate who voted. Clearly said why Republican won
D) Voters must declare a party of preference more than thirty days before the state' primary election, and voters with no declared preference are ineligible to vote in the primary. This doesn't explain why Republican won
E) The state's last democratic governor was initially very popular but lost his bid for re-election after the state's economy suffered a severe recession. severe recession is out of scope and won't explain why Republican won

Between B & C, I choose C. My explanations are highlighted.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 30

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 12:52
This post received
KUDOS
I am no expert, but I think that I understand the question.

If there are more Democrats than Republicans in state W, then the only way for a Republican to win the election is for a greater percentage of Republicans to vote than Democrats. You must remember that not all voters cast a vote in an election.

Here is another way to look at it. Say there are only 100 people in state W, 62 Democrats (for 62 percent) and 38 Republicans. So if the voter turnout for the Republican party was 100 percent (all 38 voters voted) and the voter turnout for the Democrats was 50 percent (only 31 Democrats voted), the Republican party would win the election. Remember that is says in choice C that the percentage of declared Republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared Democrats who voted.

Choice C appears to be the correct answer.

I hope that you are able to follow my logic and that this is helpful.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 616

Kudos [?]: 2424 [0], given: 738

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 13:12
Expert's post
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 355 [0], given: 23

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 20:17
souvik101990 wrote:
I think its a great question
Tough one
Definitely C
what is bugging you Vips?
Let me know!

Thanks Souvik. If you focus on word play in option C, it talks about 'percentage' not the 'number'. eg. 90% of 100 is lesser than 80% of 200. Therefore C can not be the answer, it leaves gap.
You take?

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Director
Director

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2012, 20:27
gmatchase wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Would request experts to take a look and suggest explanation:

A) Approximately 78% of the rural residents of state W decalred themselves republicans, as compared with 38% of the urban residents. - This doesn't explain why Republican won
B) State elections consist of a primary election in which voters must vote for a candidate matching their declared party followed by a general election in which voters can vote for a candidate of any party. voters can vote any party. didn't explain why Republican won
C) Over the past 5 elections, the percentage of declared republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared democrate who voted. Clearly said why Republican won
D) Voters must declare a party of preference more than thirty days before the state' primary election, and voters with no declared preference are ineligible to vote in the primary. This doesn't explain why Republican won
E) The state's last democratic governor was initially very popular but lost his bid for re-election after the state's economy suffered a severe recession. severe recession is out of scope and won't explain why Republican won

Between B & C, I choose C. My explanations are highlighted.

ngould wrote:
I am no expert, but I think that I understand the question.

If there are more Democrats than Republicans in state W, then the only way for a Republican to win the election is for a greater percentage of Republicans to vote than Democrats. You must remember that not all voters cast a vote in an election.

Here is another way to look at it. Say there are only 100 people in state W, 62 Democrats (for 62 percent) and 38 Republicans. So if the voter turnout for the Republican party was 100 percent (all 38 voters voted) and the voter turnout for the Democrats was 50 percent (only 31 Democrats voted), the Republican party would win the election. Remember that is says in choice C that the percentage of declared Republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared Democrats who voted.

Choice C appears to be the correct answer.

I hope that you are able to follow my logic and that this is helpful.

Gmatchase and ngould,
If the option said number instead of percentage, it would have been correct in my opinion.
The same example that ngould gave, 100% of 38 is 38, and 80% of 62 is greater than 38. Here, even if percentage of republican is higher total number of votes wouldnt be. Clearly C is not enough evidence to fill the gap.

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 18:37
Vips0000 wrote:
Gmatchase and ngould,
If the option said number instead of percentage, it would have been correct in my opinion.
The same example that ngould gave, 100% of 38 is 38, and 80% of 62 is greater than 38. Here, even if percentage of republican is higher total number of votes wouldnt be. Clearly C is not enough evidence to fill the gap.

I see what you are saying.

Hmm..... would you pick any other choice? If not, we can say C is best of the worst? :)
Director
Director

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 20:46
gmatchase wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Gmatchase and ngould,

I see what you are saying.

Hmm..... would you pick any other choice? If not, we can say C is best of the worst? :)

Not really :D
if we chose best among worst. B also stands as a contender. :P

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 21:15
This post received
KUDOS
Vips0000 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Tough one
Definitely C
Let me know!

Thanks Souvik. If you focus on word play in option C, it talks about 'percentage' not the 'number'. eg. 90% of 100 is lesser than 80% of 200. Therefore C can not be the answer, it leaves gap.
You take?

hey - the question says "62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves Democrats" so the base doesn't change. That the problem in your statement above.

so 62% OF ALL REGISTERED VOTERS declared themselves Democrats
38 % OF ALL REGISTERED VOTERS declared themselves R

Per C, Over the past 5 elections, the percentage of declared republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared democrate who voted.

Now if only 10 % of the declared Democrats voted and 20% of the declared R voted then Republican would be running office...

Cheers
Director
Director

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 23:46
Jp27 wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Tough one
Definitely C
Let me know!

You take?

hey - the question says "62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves Democrats" so the base doesn't change. That the problem in your statement above.

so 62% OF ALL REGISTERED VOTERS declared themselves Democrats
38 % OF ALL REGISTERED VOTERS declared themselves R

Per C, Over the past 5 elections, the percentage of declared republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared democrate who voted.

Now if only 10 % of the declared Democrats voted and 20% of the declared R voted then Republican would be running office...

Cheers

This is half cooked analysis.

consider one example: total voters are 100. Democrats =62 and Republican =38
Note:100 number is chosen for simplicty and numbers below are approximates (rounded up to next integer)

Now if 10% of democrate vote = around 6
if 20% of republican vote = around 8.
Republican win

But if
100% republican vote = 38 vote
only 70% of democrate vote = 44 vote
Democrate win

How is it sufficient?

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Vips0000 wrote:

Note:100 number is chosen for simplicty and numbers below are approximates (rounded up to next integer)

Republican win

But if
Democrate win

How is it sufficient?

In explain the Discrepancy CR we are asked to select an answer that can show us how the 2 situation can / could be true... we are NOT asked to prove the statements....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 17

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 06:58
Jp27 wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:

Republican win

But if
Democrate win

How is it sufficient?

In explain the Discrepancy CR we are asked to select an answer that can show us how the 2 situation can / could be true... we are NOT asked to prove the statements....

Vips, Lets not confuse CR with DS :) .
When asked to resolve a paradox, all you need to find a possible explanation of the discrepancy, without negating any of the two contradictory facts.
You have shown a case where C being(cudnt use a better word :P) true perfectly bridges the gap b/w two contradictions.
Hope that helps, if it does...kudos pls..! :-D

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Director
Director

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 07:59
hermit84 wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:

Republican win

But if
Democrate win

How is it sufficient?

When asked to resolve a paradox, all you need to find a possible explanation of the discrepancy, without negating any of the two contradictory facts.
You have shown a case where C being(cudnt use a better word :P) true perfectly bridges the gap b/w two contradictions.

sorry hermit, but not satisfactory. its not about DS, but in critital reasoning if a reason has loopholes (as shown with one example) its not a good enough reason and doesnt help to bridge the gap. I'll forward this question to veritas prep and would check with them..

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 17

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 08:11
Vips0000 wrote:
hermit84 wrote:
Jp27 wrote:
[

sorry hermit, but not satisfactory. its not about DS, but in critital reasoning if a reason has loopholes (as shown with one example) its not a good enough reason and doesnt help to bridge the gap. I'll forward this question to veritas prep and would check with them..

Do that buddy.. and let me know what you get to hear back from them..! :)

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 08:17
Quote:

Agreed ! However, we must also choose the best OPTION available to us? The four remaining answers are less likely to be correct as compared to C...Even if their is a theoretical possibility that C might not be incorrect. The Official GMAT questions would probably not have such a vague answer choice, as the Test makers make it a priority to create answer choices where the CORRECT answer is UN DISPUTABLE (or as un disputable as possible) ..

Quote:
Tough one
Definitely C
Let me know!

As Vips has pointed out, There is a huge QUESTION MARK on C, and it would be safe to call this answer choice DISPUTABLE .. Even if it is the best choice of the LOT..I would call it a rather Poor question given that in the entire OG13 and 12 i am yet to come across a question that has an OA that is this debatable. As a Logic question it might a good an excellent question but i doubt that it is a realistic GMAT question from my experience with the OG and other official GMAT questions..

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4785 [1] , given: 163

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 03:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vips0000 wrote:

@Vips: There is a reason CR is a part of Verbal. The arguments given to you do not involve deductive logic. They are faulty/weak. That is the reason you can strengthen/weaken them. When you are given an argument and are asked to strengthen it, you do not try to prove beyond doubt that the argument is true. You only increase its strength. It can still be weakened with some other data. It's all about the degree of strength.

Similarly, when you have a paradox question, you are looking for an explanation that can help resolve the paradox.
Given that 62% voters are Democrats and 38% are Republicans, why is it that Republicans have been in office? Because Republicans go out to vote while Democrats sit at home! Yeah, that COULD explain the paradox (with the right numbers). We don't know what the numbers are but this option certainly provides a possible explanation. Do not look for perfect numbers - you are only given ideas and you have to deduce from those.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1073

Kudos [?]: 4785 [1] , given: 163

Re: Veritas Prep Confusing CR1 -62% of registered voters [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 03:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Vips0000 wrote:

Check this link to understand what I mean by 'you can provide more data to turn an option your way'. You have to focus on what CAN provide you an explanation.

the-rate-of-violent-crime-in-this-state-is-up-35-percent-141548.html#p1145280

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Found this and many similar problems in veritas prep CAT and [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 03:29
I agree with Karishma on this. With paradox questions we have to provide an answer choice that IF TAKEN TO BE TRUE, helps to resolve the paradox, therefore any answer choice that if true helps to resolve the paradox (but needent totally obliterate any doubt which may still remain) is VALID. Just like STRENGHTEN and JUSTIFY THE CONCLUSION questions, in the former we are only required to strenghten the argument by 1% (say) while in the latter category we must prove without all doubt that the correct answer choice JUSTIFIES the author's conclusion.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 243

Premium Member
Re: 62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 02:57
Bumping for review and further discussion
New GmatClub project Click here

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Re: 62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2013, 02:57