Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 (50Q 24V) what to do?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 14:17
I am little disappointed about my verbal score, it' pretty low. My overall target score is 670-680, therefore I need to improve my verbal part to at least 10 points. I felt the math part was pretty easy, so I am only concerned with the verbal part.

How do you guys suggest to improve it? Is there any material for RC, SC and CR that is significantly better than other? Can I improve 10 points on the verbal section in 4 weeks of study?

I have used Kaplan but I am a bit disappointed with them.

Please advice.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 14:22
Manhattan Verbal books are what you should do. They are the best books available for Gmat. Once you do those I am sure your verbal will improve.

mikpanzeri wrote:
I am little disappointed about my verbal score, it' pretty low. My overall target score is 670-680, therefore I need to improve my verbal part to at least 10 points. I felt the math part was pretty easy, so I am only concerned with the verbal part.

How do you guys suggest to improve it? Is there any material for RC, SC and CR that is significantly better than other? Can I improve 10 points on the verbal section in 4 weeks of study?

Please advice.

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 14:44
Thanks for your feedback. It's probably a good idea to get some new books. I didn't like the Kaplan ones. Are you referring to the one advertised on the "Verbal GMAT Books" under the "Self-Prep" column?

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 14:51
Wow, awesome Q score. You should be able to raise ur verbal score very easily, even if you are a non native speaker.

I would start an error log, and do some diagnostic tests in Verbal in OG11 or other study books/programs, to see WHERE exactly you are weak in Verbal, if you don't already know. SC is an easy place (in my opinion) to rack up some points just by following a few rules like parallelism and singular/plural. Reading comp and CR are more subtle, but with practice u can learn to eliminate a few choices, increasing ur odds.

good luck

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti, Italian-American racecar driver champion

Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT Sloan Fellows (Admit)
WE 1: 5 Yrs - Global Outsoucing Operations
WE 2: 5.5 Yrs - Hospitality

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 14:57
sorry..i should have been more clear in my prev post..

i am talking about the 3 Manhattan Verbal books for SC, CR and RC.

mikpanzeri wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. It's probably a good idea to get some new books. I didn't like the Kaplan ones. Are you referring to the one advertised on the "Verbal GMAT Books" under the "Self-Prep" column?

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 15:08
Thanks for your feedback guys. Yes I am a non-native speaker but I have been in the country for 8 years (divided between 4 years of college and 4 years in NY). I felt like the math part was much easier than expected. I didn't see many complicated problems. I have strong quantitative background (major in Finance, credit trader, CFA etc). However my verbal skills are not up to par.

I think I struggle the most on the RC because I get lost in the detail question on biological or philisophical passages. I just waste time looking for the answer which turns out to be wrong. Not sure how to turn that around. I guess I have to strenghted SC and CR and try to do "OK" or RC.

Regards,

M
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 11:19
mikpanzeri wrote:
Thanks for your feedback guys. Yes I am a non-native speaker but I have been in the country for 8 years (divided between 4 years of college and 4 years in NY). I felt like the math part was much easier than expected. I didn't see many complicated problems. I have strong quantitative background (major in Finance, credit trader, CFA etc). However my verbal skills are not up to par.

I think I struggle the most on the RC because I get lost in the detail question on biological or philisophical passages. I just waste time looking for the answer which turns out to be wrong. Not sure how to turn that around. I guess I have to strenghted SC and CR and try to do "OK" or RC.

Regards,

M

For the section on RC, try taking short notes (one or two words only). It will help you stay focused on the passages you are reading.

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 21:09
mikpanzeri wrote:

Please advice.

Thanks

hah....The same story here dude !!!

Dnt give up !!! This time its either verbal or me....

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do? [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 05:23
Great Quant score. Even if you get 32-35 on verbal the next time, your score will be in the 700's...
Re: 620 (50Q 24V) what to do?   [#permalink] 19 Aug 2010, 05:23