Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 20:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 -> 570 today : that´s how it feels

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

620 -> 570 today : that´s how it feels [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 09:46
I always imagined how someone feels after something like that....now I am experiencing it, the word to describe myself is: DESTRUCTION
After one intense ( 7 full time days ) of study, my confindence about my verbal skills increased and I was getting 8 out of 10 SC correct. Today, V27 . That is worse than my first attempt V31. My confidence was actually so high that I tought, lower than 620 I can´t get. In fact I even scored a 690 in GMATPrep.
I think this overconfidence killed me .
Ok, not scoring too well is fine, 570 is really way too off the track...

I don´t know....not sure if I shold retake ...give up....
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 09:58
This is tough. Sorry about that. What you think went wrong in verbal this time? How did you feel during the test?
Well...Don't give up! If you were doing good during all the practice tests, then it's got to do something with what happenned in the exam today. Just make sure you take care of it and you'll be fine.
Good Luck with your next one!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

I understand [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 10:39
Hey. I know your pain, seriously. I took the test 4 times and my progression went as such: 610, 640, 610, 710.
Here is my story
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=22313

So I know how it feels to get a lower score than your previous, but like most things in life, you got to get back on the horse and give it another try. Thomas Edison once said, "I have not failured, I have merely been rejected 10,000 times" Take a little time off, assess your weak areas, work on them, and take it again. I know that you will do better. If I can do it, so can you.

I hope this helps

Christopher Wilson

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 620 -> 570 today : that´s how it feels [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2005, 23:21
tobiastt wrote:
I always imagined how someone feels after something like that....now I am experiencing it, the word to describe myself is: DESTRUCTION
After one intense ( 7 full time days ) of study, my confindence about my verbal skills increased and I was getting 8 out of 10 SC correct. Today, V27 . That is worse than my first attempt V31. My confidence was actually so high that I tought, lower than 620 I can´t get. In fact I even scored a 690 in GMATPrep.
I think this overconfidence killed me .
Ok, not scoring too well is fine, 570 is really way too off the track...

I don´t know....not sure if I shold retake ...give up....

tobiastt ,.....no ways ..don't give up .......
firstly coz !!...the univ ppl might take this score seriously ...620 to 570 down is BAD !!...... so U have to improve ......

secondly ...u said u scored 690 in gmatprep !!!!! that shows u got wat it takes to score more than 620 !!!....I AM SURE ITS WAS JUS ONE OF THOSE BAD DAYS ...WATS UR BREAK UP ??? WATS UR WEAK AREA....IT CUD BE EXAM FEAR... TIMING PROBLEM OR ANYTHING ....WORK ON IT..AND M SURE U WILL SCORE WAY ABOVE 620 !!..

all th best..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 04:08
Thanks for the replies, it really helps to improve my motivation !

I also think that showing 620 -> 570 is bad . Firstly because if I leave things like they are, I will have to admit that I simply gave up . Secondly because my GPA is bad. What is your opinion guys??

My breakdown was Q42 and V27 . I am an engineer and quant always went more or less Ok except for the fact that I really ALWAYS calculate something wrongly or forget silly things. I don't know how to change that?
For verbal I worked hard on SC and could improved a lot , but the first question came and was something confusing . I was unsure and picked the choice that sounded better although I was sure the other answer choice was correct. During the whole verbal section I kept thinking about this single question and couldn't concentrate at all.
I think the cause was my mindset. Since I got 690 in the GMATPrep, I was so overly confident I would score high that I was too relaxed.
The question is now :
1. Shall I retake?
2. How to prepare from now since I already used GMAT OG's
3. When should I retake it?

Thanks for your feedback.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 10:30
Don't despair. In fact I took the GMAT in mid November too. I was doing fairly well on my practice tests scoring mid 600's to high 600's. I got the identical score you got! I got 42Q and 27V. I was shocked to get 570. I am taking a month off and enjoying the holidays before I resume studying again in late December. I am sure you can do better. For me, I got anxiety on verbal and blanked out a bit as well as had distractions with a fellow test cube neighbor. I thought I was doing well on quant and getting several tougher problems but probably did some dumb mistakes on DS. I will probably take it again in late Jan/Feb. Good luck in your studies.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2005, 10:43
Dear tobiastt,

Whatever happens don't give up, I know it's difficult to imagine that you felt prepared & scored lower but "just don't hink about it", just do it again. Many people have done it. Probably, you can appear again after 15 days, since looks like you are well prepared. Just keep it cool & keep faith.

:)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

feel your pain [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 12:02
hi tobiastt,

Don't give up! I'm planning on retake as well.

I totally understand how you feel. I just took the GMAT yesterday and went from 610 Q47 V27 to a 580 Q47 V23. This was after 2 month of 3 hour per day prep. I focus on Verval 80% of the time.

my story is also at:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24769

I was really low after the test and felt I got no hope in improving Verbal score. I'll pull myself together, and get back at it. Right now I'm trying to figure out EXACTLY how to track errors when preparing for the GMAT. Error logs, spreadsheets... I'll try everything. I think the main problem as many have suggested is not to do loads of problems but to learn from the one you got wrong and REALLY understand it.

I am having trouble learning from my errors simply because I don't have the right method. Right now I'm seeking any advice on how to learn from mistakes and then improve. I have an Engineering background as well, so Math for me is pretty stable at 47. I think we can get this up to 50, and it is a must for a 700+ score.

It's on like donkey kong GMAT!

Just Do it

feel your pain   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2005, 12:02