Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 20:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 First Attempt

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

620 First Attempt [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2010, 20:49
My GMAT Experience

I took my test today I got 620 (44Q 30V), I could get only around 3 hours of sleep last night due to test anxiety. It happened 8 yrs ago during my GRE as well where I scored 2100 after 2 hours of sleep. I thought I was doing well on verbal and pretty sure got 90% of the RC and CRs right but they seemed to be easy ones. Most likely many of my SCs were wrong which meant I got easy questions and hence low score. So it seems that one has to have equally good skills on all the three areas to get good score. Can anyone please throw some light on this.

Preparation
My preparation was around 40 days. 20 days of warmup and very light study basically to get into study mode after such a long break. Took 3 weeks off from work and intense study for 20 days.

I took only one practice CAT (MGMAT 1) about one week before the exam and scored 590.

Books
I have done MGMAT guides 3-4 times and solved OG problems at least once.

Retake
I know I lack real practice and need to take CATs on a regular basis to prepare for the marathon. I need to do 1000 sc's and 1000 CRs. MGMAT math questions bank. Good thing I still have GMAT Prep 1 and Prep 2 which I have not touched yet :) I want to be able to score between 700 and 800.

At this point I am completely not sure how to structure my study plan over next month and half after which I plan to give my second attempt.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [1] , given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 First Attempt [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
I found this post as helpful and made it as my favourite
my-gmat-journey-from-490-to-700-q49-v36-62535.html
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 First Attempt [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 19:39
Thanks silasaaa2, I do remember reading this post in the past. He distributed his posting for over an year. I have only 1 and half months to go.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 First Attempt [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2010, 21:23
If you have only limited time then you should give more priority to official gmat guides and gmat prep tests than any other prep material.

Try to identify your weakest area , spend more time on it rather than just attempting more tests just as I did during my first prep phase.
For example my weakest area is SC ( still my hit(right/wrong) ratio hovers around 70% unlike CR and RC where I can consistently hit above 90% ).

I used to read explanations from OG only for my wrong answers ,but you should read all the explanations even for the ones which you got it correct.Though I read about it many times in gmat club posts many times I decided to skipit to rush upon,but reading through the explanations of the correct answer choices will offer more than you actually think.

OG explains not only why the answer choices are wrong but also what should be added/removed to the wrong answer choices to make it correct.

prep source I prefer

Gmat official guides ( do all the problems until you got everything correct)
GMAT prep tests
Manhattan Gmat cat tests ( you get in gmatprep as many number properties problems as you get in MGMAT tests)

Though I don't have expertise or score to backup whatever I wrote ,just my two cents

all the very best for your prep and exam
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 First Attempt [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 02:46
silasaaa2 wrote:
If you have only limited time then you should give more priority to official gmat guides and gmat prep tests than any other prep material.

Try to identify your weakest area , spend more time on it rather than just attempting more tests just as I did during my first prep phase.
For example my weakest area is SC ( still my hit(right/wrong) ratio hovers around 70% unlike CR and RC where I can consistently hit above 90% ).

I used to read explanations from OG only for my wrong answers ,but you should read all the explanations even for the ones which you got it correct.Though I read about it many times in gmat club posts many times I decided to skipit to rush upon,but reading through the explanations of the correct answer choices will offer more than you actually think.

OG explains not only why the answer choices are wrong but also what should be added/removed to the wrong answer choices to make it correct.

prep source I prefer

Gmat official guides ( do all the problems until you got everything correct)
GMAT prep tests
Manhattan Gmat cat tests ( you get in gmatprep as many number properties problems as you get in MGMAT tests)

Though I don't have expertise or score to backup whatever I wrote ,just my two cents

all the very best for your prep and exam

Thanks I actually got Q45 and V30, I believe SC is my wekspot.
Re: 620 First Attempt   [#permalink] 11 Jan 2010, 02:46