Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Aug 2014, 21:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

hello

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

hello [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 19:58
Hello!

Last edited by inlander on 05 Sep 2012, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 GMAT, applying to UT Austin MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 13:55
Expert's post
inlander wrote:
Hello! I took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 620 (Q39 V37). My average timed practice tests were 650 - 680 range.

Here is my profile:

Adam Candler

GMAT 620
Hospitality Management Degree, San Diego State University
(A's in all math classes: econ, stats, calc, etc.)
Minor in Sustainable Tourism Management

5 years in the U.S. Navy as a Helicopter Search and Rescue Swimmer
-Indonesian Tsunami Relief
-Hurricane Katrina Relief
-Many times awarded, including several air medals and a fleet-admiral comendation.

3 years of hospitality management in San Diego. Dana Hotel and Marina.

Created, funded and carried out a 12-month worldwide sustainability field study and internship program for the flagship class in the Sustainability Tourism Management degree program at San Diego State University. Countries covered: Fiji, Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, (Malaysian and Indonesian Borneo), Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam and Singapore. A form of this program is available to current students looking for international experience with regard to global sustainability in tourism.

Managed a nightclub in Australia's Gold Coast for six months.

Managed a dive resort in Gili Trawangan, Indonesia for four months.

Currently the evening manager at the Four Diamond Regency Hotel on Manhattan's Upper East Side.

--> I only want one program: The UT Austin "CleanTech" emphasis in the MBA program. I am from Austin, my family is there, and my brother in law is raising my niece by himself out there.

Sorry for the life story, but I know that it all goes into the application.

My question is: Do I need to re-take my GMAT? I studied extremely hard and took a dozen practice tests (likely I took too many and psyched myself out). The 80% GMAT acceptance rate is 620-730 and I am clearly on the low end of that. My GPA is above average, but does that and my other experience make up for my GMAT score.

Taking the GMAT once is rarely enough: most people are so nervous the first time that they can't get the best score they're capable of. You have a compelling application for Austin and strong personal and professional reasons why it is the right program for you, so there is obviously a chance they will accept this score. However, they may also waitlist you and wait for a better one. If you think you can relatively painlessly sit for the test again, I would. If you don't think you can do that, then it's worth a try.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Re: 620 GMAT, applying to UT Austin MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2011, 16:02
First off, thanks for taking the time to reply and give me advice. This is such a great resource! I've been bouncing off walls trying to figure out what I should do and now I have people with insight going out of their way to help out. Very cool.

I have rescheduled the test for next month and I'm working on writing killer essays. The offers to write reccos have been pouring in as well. This might all come together if I can pull off a better GMAT score.

Everyone is telling me it's silly to apply to only one program, but this is the thing that I want to do and the place I want to do it. Jumping out of a helicopter into the crazy ocean was sort of a credit/no-credit situation too.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Adam
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 GMAT, applying to UT Austin MBA [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 05:17
Expert's post
inlander wrote:
Everyone is telling me it's silly to apply to only one program, but this is the thing that I want to do and the place I want to do it. Jumping out of a helicopter into the crazy ocean was sort of a credit/no-credit situation too.

Very funny analogy! When your passion is strong for a program, the admissions committee tends to notice!
Good luck with the application.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Intern
Intern

Re: 620 GMAT, applying to UT Austin MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 16:01
So I took the GMAT again yesterday and scored a 680! I am very happy to put 60 points on from the score I got a month ago. Lots of studying and hard work, but it paid off. Now I am off to finalize the application process.

I still have UT Austin as my first choice, but I am also looking at UCLA and UCSD. Do you think that I am competative for these programs?

Thanks again for taking the time to write to me and give me advice!

Adam
Expert Post

GMAT Tests User
Re: 620 GMAT, applying to UT Austin MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 00:36
Expert's post
inlander wrote:
So I took the GMAT again yesterday and scored a 680! I am very happy to put 60 points on from the score I got a month ago. Lots of studying and hard work, but it paid off. Now I am off to finalize the application process.

I still have UT Austin as my first choice, but I am also looking at UCLA and UCSD. Do you think that I am competative for these programs?

Thanks again for taking the time to write to me and give me advice!

Adam

Congratulations on a month of work that paid off!
You still have a very unique background and now you have a GMAT score right in their range, so yes, I do believe you are competitive for these programs.

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553