Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 low Quant I need help how can i improve my quant?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

620 low Quant I need help how can i improve my quant? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 05:49
Hi all,
I took my GMAT today and got 620(Q42 V34) which is not bad but I’m bit disappointed
Pretty happy with my V34 (or at least not disappointed, afterall i'm french and we suck in english) …
During the test I knew I hadn’t done well in the Quant since I didn’t get really tough questions (or I was hoping that I was so trained so that the questions seemed easy). But sincerely I have absolutely no clue where I failed… it must have been in the beginning but I did not have the impression to do poorly ;(

Now I’m considering to retake the exam within a month, but I wonder if I can get higher than 42 in quant since I don’t really know on what kind of question I failed! What should I do?
I have access to Manhattan GMAT Cat and Kaplan's CAT

Regards
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 44

Premium Member
Re: 620 low Quant I need help how can i improve my quant? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 10:23
HI,

The first thing which you should do is to make an error log. Find out your weak areas and then start working on them.
Doing random preparation might not help i guess.
Make a search for error log and find the weaker areas.
Once you are done with that then start going through the theory of those topics then start working on the problems from grockit.com ang gmatclub

good luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Intern
Intern
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: 620 low Quant I need help how can i improve my quant? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 11:36
nktdotgupta wrote:
HI,

The first thing which you should do is to make an error log. Find out your weak areas and then start working on them.
Doing random preparation might not help i guess.
Make a search for error log and find the weaker areas.
Once you are done with that then start going through the theory of those topics then start working on the problems from grockit.com ang gmatclub

good luck!

Thank you for the advice!

Well, I think that my weakest area is everything related to proportion problems (Ratios, overlappingset including min or max number) or Word problems including Percent and stuff...What surprised me the most was the difficulty of the calculations...
I knew exactly how to solve a problem but they killed me the chosen numbers.

for example I had this question and I knew exactly how to solve it but with easier numbers... i Freaked out when i saw the numbers

A train traveled from station X to station Y at a constant speed of 88 feet per second. Is the
distance that the train traveled from station X to Station Y greater than 40 miles? (1 mile =
5,280 feet)
(1) It took less than 45 minutes for the train to travel from station X to Station Y.
(2) It took more than 42 minutes for the train to travel from station X to Station Y

It would have taken me more than 2 min to calculate this
40*5280/88*60

I will try to work on these areas... And this Grockit how difficult are the question? I took 12 questions and got them all correct within 1 min... :S
I'll try it tomorrow!
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 253 [1] , given: 44

Premium Member
Re: 620 low Quant I need help how can i improve my quant? [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 21:30
This post received
KUDOS
Maxswe wrote:
It would have taken me more than 2 min to calculate this
40*5280/88*60

For solving these kind of fractions you need to cancel the common factors
like you can write 40 as 8*5 and 88 as 8*11 and cancel out the 8 as 40/88 which will become 5/11
if you solve like this then the solution becomes easier and faster

Maxswe wrote:
I will try to work on these areas... And this Grockit how difficult are the question? I took 12 questions and got them all correct within 1 min... :S
I'll try it tomorrow!

In grockit, questions are of three difficulty levels.
Easy - which are actually very easy questions
Medium - these are the types you will mostly see in gmat
Hard - 16XP questions are likely to come when you are doing good.
- 32Xp questions are almost impossible to come.. will come only when you are close to 50/51 in Quant.

If you start working on grockit.com and gmatclub on the weaker areas then things will improve for sure.

Regarding the problem you have. I will suggest you to solve a lot of fraction related questions in which you are supposed to cancel up the common things, and simplify and then solve.
This will improve your thinking power on the same. Also, you can try factorization of algebric expressions (especially the ones related to fractions). This will help you for sure. IF you can highlight more such instances then I can help you in a better way.

Good Luck. keep me posted!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Re: 620 low Quant I need help how can i improve my quant?   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2012, 21:30