Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 10:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 (q=42, V=34) AWA 6.0, Not a Success Story......yet

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
WE: Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

620 (q=42, V=34) AWA 6.0, Not a Success Story......yet [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 09:32
I took the GMAT on May 5th and was ecstatic to find that I got a 620 (Q=42, V=34). This was such a great feeling because my 6 practice tests ranged from 530-630 and after I took the quantitative portion, I thought I had about a 400. During the entire verbal portion, all I could think about was how big of a failure I was because I already killed myself on the quant and could not come back from it. I firmly believe that this crushed my verbal score and held me back from doing much better.
Here I sit, 4 days after my GMAT, realizing that for my entire life I have accepted mediocrity. Being average and getting by has been good enough for me. A 2.987 GPA, eh I graduated, sweet. An average job that I could have gotten without a degree, great, not everyone has a job. I believe the GMAT is a key opportunity in my life to break out of the norm. I truly believe I can get a 700+ on this test.

My first round of studying lasted for 6 weeks, with 2 being very intense, 2 very easy, and 2 average. I also did not learn much, my resources were the 30 Day GMAT Success book and OG 12th edition. I believe that if I improve my quant significantly (which I used to be good at) and learn SC that I have a very realistic shot at 700+.

To show that these are my problem areas, I have my lone MGMAT CAT results in which I got a 610 (41,33).

Section Correct Total % correct Avg diff of correct /Average diff of wrong
PS 13 33 59% 520 610
DS 7 15 47% 510 610
CR 8 14 57% 660 720
RC 8 12 67% 650 730
SC 5 15 33% 690 720

Clearly, this reaffirms that I need to improve PS, DS, and SC. So here I sit GMAT club, with a test date of September 15 in sight, willing to do it right this time. I will learn become more competent in Quant and I will learn SC rules in totality.

What resources would you suggest I use?

I am thinking that I will purchase the MGMAT books so I can use their CATs to get breakdowns similar to this. I have also thought about getting Magoosh and getting access to the GMAT Club tests. I know it’s a long read, but I invite anyone that might want to join me on this journey to PM me or get into contact with me and we can take this test down!

Last edited by jtrem on 10 May 2012, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: 620 (q=42, V=33), Not a Success Story......yet [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 13:03
Hey jtrem,

I wish I got a V33! I can’t say for certain what to suggest because my verbal score is quite weak, but I am pretty good in SC. For SC, I used both the Aristotle SC and MGMAT SC book. Aristotle is more of an entry level book to get your feet wet with the grammar rules. The chapters are laid out so the concepts are easy to learn, whereas MGMAT is more in-depth but a little convoluted in my opinion.

Aristotle also has 100 practice questions at the end for you to practice, but they’re kind of easy. I attacked them in chunks and usually got 9/10 correct. MGMAT also has practice questions, but it does not have answer choices. Instead, it asks you to correct a sentence by rewriting it or circling the pronoun or verbs. I would say MGMAT focuses more on the concept of the topic/chapter you’ve read.

This method may not work for you, but it worked for me: go through the entire Aristotle SC Grain and go over it again focusing on the areas you’re not understanding. Then move on to MGMAT SC and go over it several times. Then try doing the Aristotle SC practice questions in chunks and then OG in chunks. I made the mistake of reading MGMAT SC first and doing the associated OG questions at the end of each chapter. The problem with this approach is that some of the OG questions you do tests the topic you’ve read, but it may also test you on another topic such as pronouns, idioms, SVA, etc (which you may have not learned yet). So you pretty much waste the question, but I guess it’s also good since it gives you a preview of the other topics you will need to learn.

Anyway, I highly suggest the GMAT Club Test. I am fortunate to have access to the tests but please be advised that they are difficult. I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the quant concepts but after going through 2 practice tests, it ripped me a new a-hole and then some. I learned a lot after taking 2 GMAT Club Test. Hopefully we can both do well on our next attempt. :D
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 (q=42, V=33), Not a Success Story......yet [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 13:36
chamisool wrote:
Hey jtrem,

I wish I got a V33! I can’t say for certain what to suggest because my verbal score is quite weak, but I am pretty good in SC. For SC, I used both the Aristotle SC and MGMAT SC book. Aristotle is more of an entry level book to get your feet wet with the grammar rules. The chapters are laid out so the concepts are easy to learn, whereas MGMAT is more in-depth but a little convoluted in my opinion.

Aristotle also has 100 practice questions at the end for you to practice, but they’re kind of easy. I attacked them in chunks and usually got 9/10 correct. MGMAT also has practice questions, but it does not have answer choices. Instead, it asks you to correct a sentence by rewriting it or circling the pronoun or verbs. I would say MGMAT focuses more on the concept of the topic/chapter you’ve read.

This method may not work for you, but it worked for me: go through the entire Aristotle SC Grain and go over it again focusing on the areas you’re not understanding. Then move on to MGMAT SC and go over it several times. Then try doing the Aristotle SC practice questions in chunks and then OG in chunks. I made the mistake of reading MGMAT SC first and doing the associated OG questions at the end of each chapter. The problem with this approach is that some of the OG questions you do tests the topic you’ve read, but it may also test you on another topic such as pronouns, idioms, SVA, etc (which you may have not learned yet). So you pretty much waste the question, but I guess it’s also good since it gives you a preview of the other topics you will need to learn.

Anyway, I highly suggest the GMAT Club Test. I am fortunate to have access to the tests but please be advised that they are difficult. I thought I had a pretty good grasp of the quant concepts but after going through 2 practice tests, it ripped me a new a-hole and then some. I learned a lot after taking 2 GMAT Club Test. Hopefully we can both do well on our next attempt. :D

Thank you for the response! How did you do on quant? I think i will buy both Aristotle and MGMAT since I've heard so much about both. I also will be purchasing the MGMAT math books in order to get my quant up, hopefully around a 48. I think the actual plan for me is to start with SC, take a CAT at the end of the month and then begin studying Quant. After I get 4 consecutive tests above a 700 (not taking more than 1 a week), I will register for a retake.

How expensive are the GMAT Club tests???
Intern
Intern

Re: 620 (q=42, V=33), Not a Success Story......yet [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 02:27
Just got my official scores and realized that my verbal was in actuality a 34. I also got a 6.0 AWA :).
Re: 620 (q=42, V=33), Not a Success Story......yet   [#permalink] 10 May 2012, 02:27