Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

620 (Q39; V36) 3 weeks till test Goal of 680/700; possible?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

620 (Q39; V36) 3 weeks till test Goal of 680/700; possible? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 05:34
I Just finished my 5th practice test and have improved from my first test of 380 all the way to 620. I am very happy with my progress but still not at my goal. I have exactly 3 weeks left until my exam and want to know if it is possible to get to my goal. Below is a break down of my performance on verbal and quant:

Verbal:
Sentence Correction is my strongest area. On the last exam I got all of the 500-600 and 600-700 level questions correct, but missed 5 out of 6 questions for the 700-800 level questions. I am going to work on working harder SC problems and making flashcards.

Reading Comp is my next strong suit. I find that I get all of the main point/purpose/structure questions correct, but struggle when it comes to specific details/inference questions. I am thinking about purchasing the RC99 and working problems as well as making index cards for OG problems.

CR- is by far my weakest. I recently puchased the Powerscore CR and am about halfway through the book. My timing and accuracy has definitely increased since the last exam due to the book, so I plan to finish the book and continue to work problems and make index cards understanding the correct/wrong answers.

One other general note on verbal is that my Verbal score for the first 4 exams remained around 31 even with practice so this was initially my strong suit. I know that if I can get it above 40/41 so please let me know if you have additional thoughts on how to do this.

Quant:
I am by far the worse in Word Translations. My accuracy is way below average about 27-33%. I have the word translations MGMAT guide, but still seem to struggle with these question types. My plan was to go back to this guide and review as well as review some of the material relating to this on the "Everything you need to know to Prepare" under the Math reference section. I am going to continue working problems for the other areas as my accuracy for the other areas is pretty stable across the board.

Please let me know your thoughts regarding if you think it is possible for me to reach my goal by my exam date in 3 weeks and what you think of my strategy above. Please also let me know if you have any additional thoughts/strategies to help improve my Word Translations in quant or Verbal.

Ps. Thanks to everyone for the motivation!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 14

Re: 620 (Q39; V36) 3 weeks till test Goal of 680/700; possible? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 07:45
Let's be realistic - 700 is a stretch.

680 is pushing it as well, but it is possible with a bit of luck on test day. Clearly you know how to target your weaknesses and improve upon them. (A 380 to a 620 is OUTSTANDING.)

The most important thing at this point is to focus 90% of your effort on the question types causing you to miss 300 to 700 level questions. (With just a few weeks to prepare, you are most likely not going to be able to internalize the strategy needed to quickly tackle 700+ questions in your weakest areas because you will need that time to internalize the strategy to tackle 300-700 level questions in your weakest areas.)

With some diligent work on CR, you can probably raise your Verbal to around a 38 or a 39 on test day. With targeted work on quantitative, a 43 or a 44 is not out of the question. A 44Q/38V would put you right around a 670/680.

So here's the point. Use the same study skills that have gotten you to a 620. You know how you learn and you know your weaknesses. Forget about 700+ questions at this point unless it is something with which you already feel comfortable. Trust me on this. Get your 500-700 level question strategy down COLD, take the test, and go from there.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 620 (Q39; V36) 3 weeks till test Goal of 680/700; possible? [#permalink] New post 15 May 2011, 09:39
Try reading the question FIRST, and THEN identifying the solution within the passage. Although you might ultimately choose to read the question before answering the question when it comes to taking the exam, I think this might help you to filter through the fluff of the article. Put more emphasis on the wording of the question--passage STATES vs passage IMPLIES. It's a little bit like the methodology you use in answering SC questions.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. Prior to my preparation, CR, was also a glaring weakness for me.

ebethke wrote:
I Just finished my 5th practice test and have improved from my first test of 380 all the way to 620. I am very happy with my progress but still not at my goal. I have exactly 3 weeks left until my exam and want to know if it is possible to get to my goal. Below is a break down of my performance on verbal and quant:

Verbal:
Sentence Correction is my strongest area. On the last exam I got all of the 500-600 and 600-700 level questions correct, but missed 5 out of 6 questions for the 700-800 level questions. I am going to work on working harder SC problems and making flashcards.

Reading Comp is my next strong suit. I find that I get all of the main point/purpose/structure questions correct, but struggle when it comes to specific details/inference questions. I am thinking about purchasing the RC99 and working problems as well as making index cards for OG problems.

CR- is by far my weakest. I recently puchased the Powerscore CR and am about halfway through the book. My timing and accuracy has definitely increased since the last exam due to the book, so I plan to finish the book and continue to work problems and make index cards understanding the correct/wrong answers.

One other general note on verbal is that my Verbal score for the first 4 exams remained around 31 even with practice so this was initially my strong suit. I know that if I can get it above 40/41 so please let me know if you have additional thoughts on how to do this.

Quant:
I am by far the worse in Word Translations. My accuracy is way below average about 27-33%. I have the word translations MGMAT guide, but still seem to struggle with these question types. My plan was to go back to this guide and review as well as review some of the material relating to this on the "Everything you need to know to Prepare" under the Math reference section. I am going to continue working problems for the other areas as my accuracy for the other areas is pretty stable across the board.

Please let me know your thoughts regarding if you think it is possible for me to reach my goal by my exam date in 3 weeks and what you think of my strategy above. Please also let me know if you have any additional thoughts/strategies to help improve my Word Translations in quant or Verbal.

Ps. Thanks to everyone for the motivation!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: 620 (Q39; V36) 3 weeks till test Goal of 680/700; possible? [#permalink] New post 16 May 2011, 06:21
I think it is a stretch but achievable. you just need to concentrate on question level for each category. Like for SC only work on all 700-800, for quant work on 500-700. Since you are falling on CR try to put a little more energy their. I think in three you can improve your weak part sooner than improving stronger part.
Re: 620 (Q39; V36) 3 weeks till test Goal of 680/700; possible?   [#permalink] 16 May 2011, 06:21